Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is the economy really as bad as they say?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

I hear so many stories about how tough times are and how people can't find work but lately it just seems like you can't get anyone to do a job because they are so darn busy.

Example 1: I want some landscaping done around my house. Mulching and some leveling of my yard. I also want to smooth out some areas around my fire pit so my guests aren't leaning in their chairs. I send out 6 emails for companies advertising for those services. Three never even respond. Two respond, we set appointments and then they never show up. They send an email the next day saying they are now too busy to come give me their estimate. Now I finally found someone and its about a $3000 job so its not chump change. But apparently all the area landscapers are too busy for a $3000 job.

Example 2: Helping my elderly parents close out an estate. We are selling the house and it needs to be power washed. I send out 10 emails asking for an estimate. 7 never even respond...even though they just posted ads for power washing services. One guy gets back to me and gives me a quote. I ask if he can meet me at the house to go over what he will do. Nope...he says he is too busy to meet. Even though he lives only 10 minutes away from the house I need washed! Guy two gives me a quote. Almost 50% higher than guy one. I reluctantly say OK...can he come this week. Nope...he is booked solid for the next month! Guy three comes out and leave a quote higher than guy two. I email him and ask if he can do it this week and radio silence.

If the freakin economy is so bad than why on earth can't I find people to do work for me!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

Maybe it's you not them?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

Buy a pressure washer, do the job & bill the estate for it & now you've got a new side job that funds your VW addiction.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe it's you not them?

Hmm..maybe. I guess I might need to improve my "asking" skills.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

It was like trying to get any kind of a roofing quote here in SoCal late last year with all the El Nino BS going on. Fortunately I had my roof repairs done last spring when roofers weren't booked for 4 months, or so they would say.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

Quote:
Buy a pressure washer, do the job & bill the estate for it & now you've got a new side job that funds your VW addiction.

Now there is an idea!

But I am so done with this whole thing. I have been driving from work to the house pretty regularly over the last month selling items. Its a 1 1/2 hour drive from work and then another 40 minute drive home and I am pretty much fed up with it.

My Mom is 79 and my dad is 80 so they were pretty overwhelmed with liquidating all the assets, getting it cleaned and retaining an agent to sell it. I just had to step in.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

It's a sign of the times, Jeff. It took me months to find someone to do a very small addition to my home. Called a dozen contractors, only one showed up and he didn't have great references. Finally another showed who was related to one of my clients and they got the job - and did it for half of the other contractor. It seems that it's not a matter of being busy - it seems that "people" just don't want to do real work. Pressure washing companies want the gravy jobs.. they don't want to haul ladders to clean houses. Landscapers are the worst. I have them as clients once in a while and it's always the same - looking for the least amount of work for the most money. Go to your local large nursery and ask around - better landscapers will shop those places rather than Home Depot or Lowes for their plants.

Dunno... it's the same around here. I don't have the time to do what I need to do but yet, when I look for quality hires, they just don't want to do the jobs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Quote:

Now there is an idea!

But I am so done with this whole thing. I have been driving from work to the house pretty regularly over the last month selling items. Its a 1 1/2 hour drive from work and then another 40 minute drive home and I am pretty much fed up with it.

My Mom is 79 and my dad is 80 so they were pretty overwhelmed with liquidating all the assets, getting it cleaned and retaining an agent to sell it. I just had to step in.

Or... A new business model for your son.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

Call them on the phone instead of eMailing them if you are serious about having the work done. 95% of the eMails they get are a waste of time.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
I hear so many stories about how tough times are and how people can't find work but lately it just seems like you can't get anyone to do a job because they are so darn busy.

Example 1: I want some landscaping done around my house. Mulching and some leveling of my yard. I also want to smooth out some areas around my fire pit so my guests aren't leaning in their chairs. I send out 6 emails for companies advertising for those services. Three never even respond. Two respond, we set appointments and then they never show up. They send an email the next day saying they are now too busy to come give me their estimate. Now I finally found someone and its about a $3000 job so its not chump change. But apparently all the area landscapers are too busy for a $3000 job.

Example 2: Helping my elderly parents close out an estate. We are selling the house and it needs to be power washed. I send out 10 emails asking for an estimate. 7 never even respond...even though they just posted ads for power washing services. One guy gets back to me and gives me a quote. I ask if he can meet me at the house to go over what he will do. Nope...he says he is too busy to meet. Even though he lives only 10 minutes away from the house I need washed! Guy two gives me a quote. Almost 50% higher than guy one. I reluctantly say OK...can he come this week. Nope...he is booked solid for the next month! Guy three comes out and leave a quote higher than guy two. I email him and ask if he can do it this week and radio silence.

If the freakin economy is so bad than why on earth can't I find people to do work for me!

1-It's spring time and EVERY landscaper is busy, plus they don't have all their summer help yet because schools are still in session. Plus it has been a very wet spring in my area which puts those guys even further behind.

2-My buddy tried to get someone to pressure wash his house and he also had a hard time finding someone. The weather seems to play a big part in that business.

There is money out there but not with everyone. I also think some people go so far in debt that they can't see the light of day anymore and just keep spending so what's another 5K in debt? I've known quite a few people that you thought were filthy rich but in the end were dead broke and owed everyone.

An old saying: "If your neighbor loses his job it's a recession, but if you lose your job it's a depression."
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Call them on the phone instead of eMailing them if you are serious about having the work done. 95% of the eMails they get are a waste of time.

X2
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

^^^ X3
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

I have heard this complaint too but I haven't had any trouble getting people on the phone to come do stuff when needed. Plumbing, electrical, a/c work, etc.

I don't know if it matters but I live in sort of a small town so I look up who is local and try to use them.
Small local companies that need to keep their reputation good or they are DOA.

Possible option for you:
There is a Facebook Group for my town and I can go search on there or post and ask what people to do XYZ and it's almost always everyone saying the same 1-2 local people or companies.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

Check with the BBB. Are you looking for a real licensed contractor that carries liability and workers comp?
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:

Probably because the economy is so bad they can't afford to hire enough people to finish work in a timely manner. Wink

Also now that employers know they can pressure more work out of fewer people, for less money, it takes a lot longer to get stuff done, and get it done right. But hey, at least the guys at the top are raking in the dough.

Beyond that, as pointed out, with the weather we're having pretty much everybody who works outside is running behind. I got a friend in construction who just started working at Target to pay the bills because they've had so many delays this year. Yikes.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

Speaking of landscapers - my mother wanted someone to do some yardwork on a regular basis and she too had trouble finding someone. As my Dad put it...

"All they want to do is mow, blow and go." Smile

Now anytime I see a company mowing the yard, I think of that. And what they charge for doing a yard is outrageous.

To each his own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

This is all kind of interesting....I think the "bad economy" depends on location. We have the same issues here. Very challenging to for many folks to find contractors of almost any type because they are all slammed.

HOWEVER, here's part of the problem. Service providers and contractors will tend to give current customers priority over new business if they are having a hard time getting to all the customers. When things are slow, they can count on the existing customers for work.

I own a telephone answering service and we get loads of calls for our clients that involve someone with an urgent need, but isnt a current customer, during a peak time - like heat issues in the winter, a/c issues during a heat wave and landscaping etc in the spring. Many wont even take the calls because they are slammed with their current customers.

I never have an issue getting anything done when I need it because I always use the same folks, treat them with respect and pay them quickly. Hell, I decided to do an addition to my shop on a Friday and the contractor was prepping the site that Monday..... Very Happy Just sayin.......
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...

Last edited by andk5591 on Fri May 13, 2016 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

I think people are getting too lazy.and only want to work for the ones they can bill 3x the normal price...at least. but ...many of the guys doing the work...get squat for pay. kinda like carrier going to mexiaco to pay $5.34 an hour instead of the $35 an hour up where they were building the airconditioners. but Ill bet the price of the units does not go down.well no more than $.06 Wink and the guys that were building them????unemployment.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

Be ready for the opportunities as they present themselves,
Next time someone tells you they can't find work, give em a job.
They will probably work cheaper than someone who doesn't need the work.
Who says it has to be done now?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

kind of true....

I get emails/pm's quite a lot about doing work. I don't go into detail about pricing etc anymore in a long detailed reply. I leave my phone number and honestly, 1 in 10 actually call and get work done.

once the job is in progress emails are exchanged as the client is now "worth it" so to speak. until we have that working relationship 90% are bottom feeder price shoppers. sad, but true in my experience

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: