Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
samander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

Hello! I have just recently purchased a 1991 Westfalia with a 2.1 litre engine and am in need of your assistance! I went out to start the beast today and there was a fairly loud ticking sound at idle and when I accelerate. I figured it was lifters so took it out for a spin. I was out and realized I have severe power loss and ended up bogging right down at the VW dealership. It fired up again, still with ticking noise and loss of power. This engine, according to the mech history, was rebuilt 25,000 km ago and I just recently did an oil change, water pump replacement, and coolant flush. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or input they are willing to share! Really hoping this is something simple. I was out yesterday with absolutely no issues. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: here is a video I took this morning to give you a better idea. It sounds like the classic lifter tick we read about here but the loss of power is definitely concerning.

Link
NoNameNeeded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

What oil did you use? I learned quickly that my 2.1 didn't like 10-40 but loves 20-50......until the temperature drops below freezing.

Hank Williams
samander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

Interesting, I was told at store to use 10w-30... could this have caused it?
NoNameNeeded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

samander wrote:
Interesting, I was told at store to use 10w-30... could this have caused it?

Yes. I had the same issues with thin oil, my lifters wouldn't pump up and were ticking and I had a loss of power. I use 20-50 Castrol and a Napa filter.

Hank Williams
samander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

Thanks I will look into this! The oil was changed last week, however and only today did the problem arise...I feel like something must have changed for this to happen?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

i doubt the change in oil wieght would cause these symptoms.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
samander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

I got a mechanic to hopefully make a diagnosis and apparently after it entered the shop they haven't been able to manipulate it and find out what it is..
Thom and the Flat Rats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

The light oil can definitely cause the problem. I've always used 20-50 but when I took a trip across Canada I had the oil changed and the idiot substituted with their stock oil (10-30). I noticed a loss of power on the freeway about a half an hour later.

I had to floor the van going up small inclines on the freeway and couldn't get it to go over 60 MPH. I pulled off the freeway and ended up gearing down to 2nd on a small hill and couldn't get the van above 20KMH.

Had a garage dump the oil and replace it with 20-50 and it took about 50KM before the power came back to normal. I was fortunate that I didn't fry the motor and it still doesn't burn a litre between oil changes.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

Get the correct oil in it and the problem will resolve itself.

The oil is way too light for that engine.

You may have to drive it awhile, but the lifter click will go away.

Read your owner's manual or the Bentley shop manual.
It's written in both of these manuals--what weight oil to use.
I'm assuming you are not driving the van in Siberia--where 10/30 would be appropriate.
samander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will be changing that oil out very soon. Bummer because I ordered the proper Mann filter and everything. Think it can still be reused being that oil and filter was changed last week? The mechanic found a bad ground near the distributor which could have been associated with the random loss of power as well.

here is a video of the idle without the ticking. Sound more "normal"? Sure is driving much nicer!

Link
NoNameNeeded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

samander wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will be changing that oil out very soon. Bummer because I ordered the proper Mann filter and everything. Think it can still be reused being that oil and filter was changed last week? The mechanic found a bad ground near the distributor which could have been associated with the random loss of power as well.

here is a video of the idle without the ticking. Sound more "normal"? Sure is driving much nicer!

Link

It sounds better now that the lifter is pumped back up. You should be able to use the same filter just take it off and drain it.

Hank Williams
Thom and the Flat Rats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother changing the filter just the oil
samander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

Ok will do, thanks guys! What is your take on synthetic? Ive read that it can lower the engine temperature a bit?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

I think you should leave the Dino oil in the engine--
Don't complicate the issue mid stream.

If the engine started with dino for who knows how many miles, leave well enough alone.

Want to add something to the oil?

Drain 1 quart of oil outa the engine, add 1 quart of Marvel Mystery Oil.
It's clean up the inside of the engine, and keep the lifters squeaky clean--
Pour a pint in the gas--it'll clean out the injectors, and lube the valve stems.

This is the best you can do for that engine.
samander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

I have tracked down some mystery oil and added it to oil and fuel. We will see!

I am having a strange issue still however. After about 5 minutes of driving, engine bogs down and stalls. I am able to restart it right after and after 2-3 times it runs normally again. No lights come on during this process. When I try and accelerate to save it, it just bogs! This only happens after a certain amount of driving then goes away after engine warms up a bit. Engine starts cold normally and idles around 900 without stalling. Only after I hit the road. Anyone? Thanks in advance!
NoNameNeeded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

samander wrote:
I have tracked down some mystery oil and added it to oil and fuel. We will see!

I am having a strange issue still however. After about 5 minutes of driving, engine bogs down and stalls. I am able to restart it right after and after 2-3 times it runs normally again. No lights come on during this process. When I try and accelerate to save it, it just bogs! This only happens after a certain amount of driving then goes away after engine warms up a bit. Engine starts cold normally and idles around 900 without stalling. Only after I hit the road. Anyone? Thanks in advance!

Next time let it warm up completely before you drive it and see if it still dies.

Hank Williams
samander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

Took her out for a spin today and it didn't stall, but definitely a little hesitant to start. Especially after stopping at a light then accelerating. I noticed One of the large hoses (back right corner) connecting to air filter wasn't clamped tight. Also checked timing which was good.
samander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

Just an update: I have found that the stalling on acceleration occurs only after about 1-2 km of driving. I throw it in neutral or park depending on if stopped or moving and usually regain power again. After that it's perfect! Any ideas?? It seems more electrical related no?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

you mkght want to look in to the hall sendor, mine had an intermittant problem simular to you, cutting out once and a while, then magically recovering. had the dizzie put on a scope and sure enough it got funky every now and then. bought a whole new unit from van cafe and not a single problem since. so have the ignition system completely tested. some times intermittant problems can avoid detection, they work when being tested. so if all else fails, you might just swap it out for new and see what hahappe.

I found it hard to belive your oil change had anything to do with this. I have run different weights of oil in my van and experinced no power loss problems, once had to use a 5w20 in a pinch for a short time and experince no issues other than boarderline low pressure when hot. i got rid of that oil at first chance.

anyway sound like it might be an ignition issue as you suggest (electrical) so give that a go.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
samander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Vanagon 2.1 Ticking and Loss of Power Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! The distributor was moved around ( and put back in place) for water pump replacement. So could be. I'm also thinking it could be temperature related because it's only when it's cold? Wouldn't hall sender be intermittent in all engine temp conditions?

UPDATE: I noticed that the main intake boot wasn't completely tightened. I have tightened it up and will update if there is a difference. Perhaps too much air was getting in?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: