Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

Rathguten wrote:
I didn't know most of the stuff you mentioned Ray. But now I do, so thanks! Like I said, I've never worked on FI systems before. I'm also not a mechanic by trade, just a hobbyist. But I do currently own numerous Type 1s, the latest one being a '65. Before that I had a bunch of Triumphs, which are also very simple. So when I compare the 914, or any FI system for that matter, to the aforementioned cars, it looks really different. I do have an engineering background which helps a bit with the learning curve, but to me there is no substitute for knowledge gained by experience.

I just ordered the parts I'll need for the brake system (including hoses) and hope to be working on it soon. However, a neat little Triumph TR250 found it's way to my home last week and is getting most of my attention now.

One point Starbucket was making that is damn spot on......yes....all fuel injected cars with rubber lines....if they are going to have fuel line break that causes a fire...that fire will be worse because the fuel is under pressure and high volume.

The carbureted VW's...have no more or less issues with rubber age...but are under much less pressure. They still "should" be checked and/or replaced every two years to stay ahead of oxidization, ethanol, ozone and heat rot.....but they get away with it on carbs because they do not have the added issue of 6X the fuel pressure.
That being said....EFI hose is also reinforced to about 5X or 6X the pressure level of carburetted fuel hose.

One very cool feature of "some" modern EFI systems...and you can see which ones these are sometimes if they have an electrically modulated final fuel pressure regulator at the end of the fuel rail.....is that if you lose system pressure....the engine shuts down and fuel pump shuts off instantly.

I got sloppy last summer on my 2012 Golf when changing the fuel filter. One of the hoses popped off about a block from the house while sitting at a stop sign. The car died instantly...fuel pump shut off...lost about a pint...what was in the filter.

Trying to think of a simple way to employ a relay with as simple sensor (like an oil pressure sensor) in both the pressure and return side lines. If either breaks...fuel pump shuts off. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

I had a similar car. The owner was dying and his friend asked me if I would look at it. The car was mostly apart in boxes. No labels on anything

After I towed all the stuff home, I laid it all out and tried to figure out what everything was. Took me 6 months to get it all back together. It started off kinda like this once I got the parts on it...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

Trying to think of a simple way to employ a relay with as simple sensor (like an oil pressure sensor) in both the pressure and return side lines. If either breaks...fuel pump shuts off. Ray

[/quote]Ray, NAPA sells a Hobbs Switch (looks somewhat like a brake light switch) that is pressure or vacuum that you can adjust with a screw. Put one in each line and wire them in series to your fuel pump, that way if the pressure drops below your setting in either line it will turn off the pump.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:

Ray, NAPA sells a Hobbs Switch (looks somewhat like a brake light switch) that is pressure or vacuum that you can adjust with a screw. Put one in each line and wire them in series to your fuel pump, that way if the pressure drops below your setting in either line it will turn off the pump.[/quote]

Oh! Great idea. I am in the middle of fuel system planning right now and might just gjve that a try and posy if it works. Thanks!
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: