Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this a 74 thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ud40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Is this a 74 thing Reply with quote

A person is advertising a thing as a 74 I haven't gone and looked at it only looked at the pictures that where posted. It has the outside air scoops and the engine has the ducting for a heater. Now the picture of the trunk shows a gas heater but it is positioned over where the spare tire would be. My question is this possible on a 74?
tallman206
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a 74 thing Reply with quote

Ask for the first three digits of the chassis number. A 1974 type 181 will start with 184... The 4 designates 1974.
1973 VW Type 181 with 616/33-6 powerplant
1962 356B-T6 Cabriolet Rustbucket
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a 74 thing Reply with quote

does it have reduction boxes

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a 74 thing Reply with quote

I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere that a heater was an option on the '74 model. Don't know if the location would have changed though.

Best bet was previously posted... check the VIN digits. Previous owners could have modded many things up that make it seem different.

Mark
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a 74 thing Reply with quote

Sounds like they added a gas heater. If was an option in 74, you would think it would have been in the 73 location to allow the spare tire to be present.

Post a few pictures. Wink
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a 74 thing Reply with quote

The factory installed the BN4 in 74 the same location as 73.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ud40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a 74 thing Reply with quote

The first 5 numbers are 18424 from the pictures the heater controls are on the panel to the right side of the steering wheel. Didn't see any gear boxes. Must have been a add on. Thanks
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a 74 thing Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:

Post a few pictures. Wink

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
ud40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a 74 thing Reply with quote

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5583647933.html

Sorry my internet has been down here is a link I guess it is sold
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a 74 thing Reply with quote

I see what you mean about the heater being located where the spare tire should be. That's just kinda weird.

I think I like the idea of those zippered front windows.

Mark
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a 74 thing Reply with quote

I've got a set of old windows at an Amish boat upholstery shop in Ohio, requested that they do the Jeep style Zippered Windows.. Been two yes now, I guess I'll stop in there the next time I'm in the area and see how they're coming!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a 74 thing Reply with quote

Mark Lewalski wrote:
I think I like the idea of those zippered front windows.

The second thing that popped into my head was I love the zippered front windows. I test drove an Iltis and it had them as part of its front doors. Never thought about it for a Thing. It would make toll booths and parking garages easier with which to deal.

I would want to know which way they zip before I would get totally excited about them in particular. But the idea itself, perfect.

The first thing I thought was that looks like a bargain.
ud40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a 74 thing Reply with quote

Yes I thought that it was in good shape but unable to get up to Denver to take a look at this time.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a 74 thing Reply with quote

Just in case the ad is taken down, I copied the picture. Doesn't look stock to me.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: