Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sway bars
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Sway bars Reply with quote

Howdy again samba peeps! A quick question for yall; I want to put some pretty hefty sway bars on my ghia to have it handle. I hear that T1 VW's really need bigger sway bars up front than in the rear and I was looking for a 7/8" bar for the front and a 3/4" rear. I can find the 3/4" rear but the larger, front, sway bars seem to have fallen off the face of the internet Laughing . I am going for a setup similar to Glenn's beetle (http://www.glenn-ring.com/Beetle.html) and he has 1" swaybars! Where did man go about finding these large sway bars? If anyone knows it would be a great help. Thanks as always! Cool
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars Reply with quote

I don't know about 1" but are you looking for these?
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D9594
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:

Be aware that while that sway bar comes with bushings, it doesn't have the clamps to attach the sway bar to the car.

Also you'll find it easier to just cut the clamps holding the stock sway bar in place, rather then messing with bolts that been there for almost 50 years. I used a grinder with a cut off wheel.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
SoCalJes wrote:

Be aware that while that sway bar comes with bushings, it doesn't have the clamps to attach the sway bar to the car.

Also you'll find it easier to just cut the clamps holding the stock sway bar in place, rather then messing with bolts that been there for almost 50 years. I used a grinder with a cut off wheel.

Thank socaljes but I need a bigger front than rear. 3/4 is good for the rear but the front needs a mighty big one.

Thanks for the info ciderguy. I am known to be the one who gets pissed by old rust welded parts. I'll just cut it off Twisted Evil

Still, does anyone know where to get front sway bars (for t1s) that is bigger than 3/4" (7/8" or 1").

Thanks!
1975 BMW 2002
1981 BMW E21
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars Reply with quote

the front end is light so it doesnt need a big sway bar, especially if the front end is lowered. i have a 3/4 in sway bar in the rear and no sway bar up front. i had a 3/4 in sway bar up front but i took it off because it was hitting the ground. i didnt really notice a difference when i took it off. if your car is lowered get the sway bar for lowered front end. i dont think i have ever seen anything bigger than 3/4 in for a type 1.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
Still, does anyone know where to get front sway bars (for t1s) that is bigger than 3/4" (7/8" or 1").

Whiteline makes a 22 mm FSB, but it's spendy:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Whiteline-Front-Swaybar-22mm-RACE-Adjustable-OTT-p/bwf8xz.htm

That's just shy of 7/8" in diameter.

On my prior '69 (IRS) ghia, I ran 3/4" FSB and RSB. It was fun, but you could get the rear to step out a bit. Running a larger diameter FSB will temper that somewhat.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars Reply with quote

Bloku, did you ever lower your suspension? I think I remember you mentioning it. The lower your center of gravity the less side sway effects your suspension.
I really doubt you need anything bigger than the 3/4" for street driving if you're adding front and rear sway bars. my $ 0.02 Wink
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
Bloku wrote:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Whiteline-Front-Swaybar-22mm-RACE-Adjustable-OTT-p/bwf8xz.htm

On my prior '69 (IRS) ghia, I ran 3/4" FSB and RSB. It was fun, but you could get the rear to step out a bit. Running a larger diameter FSB will temper that somewhat.

Yea, that is way more than I would ever want to spend on a sway bar. I just saw in a few post that you want a bigger sway bar up front than in in rear (for balanced driving) but this is rear engined, Ill let the end slid out so the 3/4 FSB and RSB sound like a winner to me!

How did the car feel in comparison to before sway bars, and how "flatly" dose it handle? I like it to feel like I can take a corner at near any speed Twisted Evil

SoCalJes wrote:
Bloku, did you ever lower your suspension? I think I remember you mentioning it. The lower your center of gravity the less side sway effects your suspension.
I really doubt you need anything bigger than the 3/4" for street driving if you're adding front and rear sway bars. my $ 0.02 Wink

I wound up leaving the car as is (low profile tires and drop spindles with caster shims). The rear was also lowered a bit so any lower would be silly for oklahoma roads. Like sactojesse said, front and rear sound OK.
1975 BMW 2002
1981 BMW E21
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
sactojesse wrote:
Bloku wrote:

Yea, that is way more than I would ever want to spend on a sway bar. I just saw in a few post that you want a bigger sway bar up front than in in rear (for balanced driving) but this is rear engined, Ill let the end slid out so the 3/4 FSB and RSB sound like a winner to me!

How did the car feel in comparison to before sway bars, and how "flatly" dose it handle? I like it to feel like I can take a corner at near any speed Twisted Evil

I did my modifications in stages. Replacing the stock 3/8" FSB with a 3/4" FSB (but no RSB) made it much more stable at speed and in crosswinds, but with a tendency towards benign understeer. Adding the 3/4" RSB added a bit more balance to things, but with the ability to rotate the rear end if I wanted to get "frisky." Laughing
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
Bloku wrote:
sactojesse wrote:
Bloku wrote:

I did my modifications in stages. Replacing the stock 3/8" FSB with a 3/4" FSB (but no RSB) made it much more stable at speed and in crosswinds, but with a tendency towards benign understeer. Adding the 3/4" RSB added a bit more balance to things, but with the ability to rotate the rear end if I wanted to get "frisky." Laughing

Winner! That is exactly what I am looking for, sactojesse! Thank you for telling me that. My ghia is also mildly unhappy with meager crosswinds. This looks to be the fix! Peace Wink
1975 BMW 2002
1981 BMW E21
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bars Reply with quote

My Ghia runs the 3/4" Front, and no rear. Understeers when pushed hard into a corner.
My Bug however, has the 3/4" front (19mm) and a 14mm rear (from Porsche 924/944.
It rotates on command with the gas pedal. very neutral in a corner.

Now, one thing you need to understand is just how much tire pressures affect this. It took me quite a while to get the pressures to work with the bars.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars Reply with quote

I remembered this thread and it made me think about getting a rear sway bar as well. I already had the 3/4 front bar and the under steer was pretty noticeable. Just got the rear 3/4 kit installed and definitely a huge improvement.The rear just glides the perfect amount into corners now . Highly recommend, even for being Empi Confused
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars Reply with quote

helowrench wrote:
...My Bug however, has the 3/4" front (19mm) and a 14mm rear (from Porsche 924/944.
It rotates on command with the gas pedal. very neutral in a corner.

What extra measures did you need to take to make the rear 924/944 SB fit into the Type 1 IRS?

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted

Last edited by Evil_Fiz on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sway bars Reply with quote

All my cars have 3/4" SBs front and rear. Even autocrossing with 21x7"F and 22x9"R slicks the cars are pretty neutral and turn in good. On the street and racing at Bonneville they are both on rails even at speeds over 110mph in slight crosswinds. And neither are as heavy or aerodynamic as a Ghia.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: