Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust in my 56
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jasonmorris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

I bought a 56 all original. The pass side heater box was rusted off along with half of the muffler. I bought what looks like the correct muffler. i also bought a jtube/heater box repair kit from wolfsburg west. Neither seem to match up with what is on the cat. the flange for the jtube and the flange on the muffler will not slide onto the head. Seems like the holes are about 1/8 inch off. The muffler is a NOS part not a new replacement. The engine number if I am reading it correctly is pre Jan 56. engine number 1423529. I do not know if i have the wrong parts or if I just need to make them work.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

I know this is a stupid question but are the studs that's screw into the heads bent? I've seen that before on some engines. Also could you post a few pictures? And hey I see your from knoxville! Maybe I'll see you around Smile. I've a '59 stock Beetle with a 36er

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

When I rebuilt my 36hp I used a new muffler from WW, along with their replacement j-tubes. I had to trial fit and weld the flanges and the heater boxes onto them but they fit perfectly. Also when I had the heads off for new valves and guides I had new exhaust studs installed. I bent/broke several removing the old ones. Maybe this info is helpful, if not just ignore my rambling. Wink Oh, and do you have the engine out of the car? Its a lot easier working on the exhaust if it is

Snort wrote:
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

Post pics of what you have, I may be able to help. I had J tubes made for years and used to do heater box restos. I made a jig out of a muffler and a pair of heads and shoeboxes to align everything up before taking up the pipes to the flanges and heater box half. It is easy to get things screwed up.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jasonmorris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

I will see if i can get pics posted tonihht when i get home from work. Did not even think of taking pics this am. No i dont think the studs are bent. The old flanges were still on that one side then i got it.
Is there a difference in the flange sozes between a 36 and 40 hp motors
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

No difference in the flange size for 36/40hp, but the 40hp J pipe is about 2" longer in the straight section than the 36. And of course there are differences between the 36 and hp mufflers.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jasonmorris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jasonmorris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

Ok so i pulled the bottom stud out of heach head to slide the muffler on. Nothing comes close. Heatrisers do not line up, bottom stud holes do not line up ordoes the Jtube it is to low does not line up with muffler.
Jasonmorris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

That looks more like a 40hp muffler to me.

Lower tubes for #1 and #3 pipes are too short.

Heat riser manifold flange should be shaped more like your intake manifold flanges with the bolt holes offset from the heat hole.

#2 and #4 flanges are set wider on a 40hp, just enough to cause problems such as you are having.

Overall look of the can is 40hp.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

Show this area of the muffler without the heat riser in the way.

Jasonmorris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

Bingo! 40 HP. See how the bolt holes in the heat riser make a kind of "D" pattern in relation to the opening of the heater pipe. 40 HP has the pipe hole directly between the bolt holes in a diamond seal shape.
Jasonmorris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

I guess that is good news.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

Jasonmorris wrote:
I guess that is good news.

Very! Did you request a 36 HP muffler from them or stated it as a 1200 engine? 36 & 40 HP are both 1200cc engines so easy to mix them up if you go by size.
Jasonmorris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

Bought it from a local guy. He thought it was a 36
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

Here is an image of a 36 HP muffler just to be clear for any future reference. The heat riser tube gaskets are same for 20, 25, & 36 HP.

The only exception to this was the "Bastard 40 HP" engine, which was really a 36 HP engine with 40 HP improvements like separate gen stand, longer 40 HP crankshaft and internals, 40 HP muffler, and only used in the bus from MAY59 thru JUNE60.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

I bought my 36 hp muffler from Wolfsburg West and I'll be honest I liked it however if you buy one from them you might want to strip the paint off that they ship it to you in and paint it with some good quality high temperature paint. It fit very well and sounds pretty good however the paint isn't holding up well at all. I'm not too concerned about it because I daily drive it however if it were a show car it would be a problem. Then again if it were a show car I would have tracked down a more expensive genuine OEM VW muffler...

Snort wrote:
Jasonmorris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

Hey Bug-Nut Do you still have your old muffler
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust in my 56 Reply with quote

I believe I still have it however it's totally rusted out beyond repair Sad

Snort wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: