Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat Mount Supports / Seat Mounts / Position
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzfagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Seat Mount Supports / Seat Mounts / Position Reply with quote

I need some advice on what to do about seat mounts, what to use for seat mounts, what to use to mount them to for support, and where to position the supports at this point in my build.

I am most likely going to use PRP seats (the Roadster edition, as they seem like they will fit good and are relatively affordable. Unless anyone has any other better suggestions that you like???

In the pictures you will see what I have for a chassis/frame/support. There are two pics of the top and one from the underside. The current bracing horizontal supports and exterior edges are made out of L-shaped steel. I am planning on making floor boards out of steel diamond plate.

What I need advice on is what type/size steel/or other material to use for the supports to eventually mount some sliding seat mounts for the seats?

Also, where should I mount the supports in terms of a front to back position and in terms of under the chassis/frame or on top of the eventual diamond plate floorboards?

Also, should I weld them in place or use some other method like bolts?

I would think under the chassis would be a good place so I can have a clean look on top and so I can go ahead and rust proof and paint the whole chassis right after I install the supports, and then the supports would already be painted and ready to go. Then I would not have to try and weld into my freshly painted surface whether it would be on top or under the chassis structure and frame.

Am I thinking about this right? Are there some measurements/guidelines I can use to go ahead and put in the supports now? I am 5'10 and my son is 6'2" and I need it to fit both of us as best as possible.

Also, which supports would you use?

Thanks in advance!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Mount Supports / Seat Mounts / Position Reply with quote

Buzz:

Based on where you are in the chassis build right now, I'd strongly encourage you to first consider changing out the angle iron chassis for square steel tubing in order to strengthen the chassis. It would give you a firmer foundation on which to attach the flooring materials, and you could then drop the seat tracks/seats lower in the pan.

See some examples of joescoolcustoms:

bryan
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Mount Supports / Seat Mounts / Position Reply with quote

PRP make mounts for the Manx and for their Roadster seat which are both lower than standard PRP slider mounts. The mounts need to be lower than standard if you want to look through the windshield rather than over it

http://www.prpseats.com/product-category/mounting-hardware/

Its not just square tube vs. angle iron. On Joe's chassis, the tunnel is intact and still the primary structure between the frame head and rear torsion housing, the square tube just provides good support for the the body and the floor. On this chassis the tunnel structure has been critically compromised and the perimeter of the floor has been drastically reinforced. However instead of carrying the reinforcement directly from the torsion housing, all the way forward to the frame head, it just ends at the admirals hat which was never designed to be the primary chassis structure. Thats whats called concentrating stress. Instead of strengthening the chassis, the point where it will fail has been moved. If Buzz is going to weld in a replacement floor of the tunnel with slightly heavier than original steel(since it wouldn't have the same curve and ribbing), it ought to be OK
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Mount Supports / Seat Mounts / Position Reply with quote

I'm also considering the snag points that the angle iron provides under the floor, versus a smooth flat floor.

bryan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: