Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winshield seal instal
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
youngbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Winshield seal instal Reply with quote

When I purchased my bout a year ago it came with the windshield seal but it appears to be much bigger than the actual Windshield. Also where the seal splits to form around the window does the thicker part go on the outside or inside?
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Winshield seal instal Reply with quote

First question: Do you have the correct seal?
More info needed.
What year car? Standard/Super?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Winshield seal instal Reply with quote

Quote:
thicker part go on the outside

Wider? Thicker? Yes!
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goldbug3318
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Winshield seal instal Reply with quote

youngbug74 wrote:
When I purchased my bout a year ago it came with the windshield seal but it appears to be much bigger than the actual Windshield. Also where the seal splits to form around the window does the thicker part go on the outside or inside?

OP like others stated a bit more info would be good. Here is a video that helped me. The video is on an older car than mine but the technique is the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGMd0CrEQig

Mike

1990 Ford Mustang Coupe
2008 Ford Mustang Coupe
2003 Chevy Corvette
youngbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Winshield seal instal Reply with quote

I got the right seal and I have it around the window, I can't get it back into my bug. I tried the wire trick many times I lubricated the seal but I still can't get it to seat into my bug Sad
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Winshield seal instal Reply with quote

youngbug74 wrote:
I got the right seal and I have it around the window, I can't get it back into my bug. I tried the wire trick many times I lubricated the seal but I still can't get it to seat into my bug Sad

Get some silicone spray and spray the inside part of the whole seal that goes over the metal lip, especially the corners. Put the seal on the window first. Get the bottom of the seal installed on the bottom metal lip of the car first. The silicon spray, and even some silicon grease will help get it over the corners. Also leaving the seal out in the sun for awhile before installing will also help you work it. A gentle helper will also help on the outside, lightly pushing at times, to help you get the seal pulled over the lip in places.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Winshield seal instal Reply with quote

Quote:
silicone spray and spray the inside part

Silicone works but it never 'dries'. Liquid dish soap detergent, cut with some water, makes the gasket/seal 'slippery' and it will dry after the seal is installed. Put the gasket inner lip on the bottom of the window opening. I use # 10 or #12 gauge wire wrapped around the glass crossed at the bottom of the window. It's best to put the seal seam at the top of the glass, centered with the rear view mirror. Some cross the wire at the top of the glass. I always use the bottom.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Winshield seal instal Reply with quote

You could always be lazy like me and just have a glass shop do it. It's pretty cheap if you already have the glass and the seal. Let them fight with it while you kick back with a cold beverage.
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Winshield seal instal Reply with quote

if the bug you are working on is the 1 in your avatar......you may need to remove the ladder looking metal clipped onto the inside lip of body. Many of the replacement rubbers do not have the proper width groove in rubber to stretch over that ladder.

the ladder was factory installed and claimed to help stop windshields from popping out in an accident
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Winshield seal instal Reply with quote

Have had great luck w/ 18-20ft of strong, small dia nylon cord & very watery liquid dish soap. Never tried wire ......
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Winshield seal instal Reply with quote

I had a windshield installation nightmare... This is what I learned.....

Victory! Went in like butter. What I learned... hopefully will help others. I used dish soap, and plenty of it. I used a thicker weed eater line in the seal. Some of the tips I got....
1. Wrap the line around twice (this was per JBugs customer service). If one pulls out (which it did for me).. there's a backup.
2. THIS WAS HUGE. Use the ratchet strap and towels like the picture shows. It keeps a nice even pressure and doesn't allow the glass to shift
3. Do use a second person.. even though this might be possible with one if you use the towels and the ratchet strap.They can add a little extra pressure where needed.
4. Aftermarket glass is about 2mm thicker than the original, (probably the new DOT standard), but did not affect anything with my WCM seal. I think that might have been the problem with the JBugs seal. The JBugs seal was a little thicker and stiffer than the WCM seal. With the thicker glass the JBugs seal would not compress enough and caused my problems. It think it would have been fine with OE glass. It actually y seemed to be better quality than the WCM seal, but it didn't work for me. As a passing note, JBugs customer service was very helpful and is refunding me for their seal.

Thank you to the group for the advice. This job was a bitch and shouldn't have been if I would have done theses things in the first of my 3 attempts. A special thanks The Ladybug who sent an accurate template to me that I could've used to have a glass cut again, which I didn't because I just ended up buying a glass from ISP West. It was invaluable to size up things to make sure everything made sense. If anybody needs this template, you're welcome to it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Winshield seal instal Reply with quote

HEY ! that 's my idea !!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Windshield installation : ALONE
Let me explain what you are looking at ;
First ; orange weed wacker line in the groove around the window ; and then taped to the inside of the window ; weed wacker line doesn't catch on metal like cloth line .
Second ; Pink string used to keep rubber on the windshield ; cut and pull out before you pull weed wacker line .
Third ; small amount of lubricant on the metal edge where the rubber seal fits
Fourth ; red wrachet strap holds windshield in place ; towels spread force eavenly across windshield . a second wrachet strap can be used across the bottom while you are starting to pull the weed wacker line out .
Fifth ; pull the weed wacker out across the bottom of the windshield and HALF WAY up each side .

READ STEP SIX CAREFULLY : THIS IS WHERE MOST WINDOWS GET CRACKED !!

Sixth ; at this point the glass is in the rubber and the rubber is on the lower edge BUT : the glass IS NOT all the way down in the frame . CAREFULLY get a rubber mallet and hit the top edge of the glass and knock it down onto the lower metal edge .
Seventh ; working from the end pull the weed wacker line up the side and across 1/2 the top as you guide the windshield into place then repeat on the other side .
Eighth ; Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Disclaimer ; all glass work should be done by professionals in a professional setting professionally Twisted Evil

Originally posted Aug 2014 in the build thread below Razz

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Winshield seal instal Reply with quote

No it's not... you only used 2 towels!!! Laughing Like my post said, it was a compilation of all of the good ideas I had researched, yours certainly being one of them. Thanks... Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: