Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 63 T345
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: My 63 T345 Reply with quote

My 63 sunroof T34 is one of those vehicles that everyone wanted, but no one could buy. I was one of those people. I wanted to buy this car for TWENTY years. I really started trying harder the past 5 years. I was super close to buying the car in November 2015, but that would have been buying it out from under someone else, so I declined. I kicked myself the next 4 months for not telling him to back out of the deal. I always wanted this car. I could have worked it out somehow, couldn't I? Oh well, it's too late, the car is gone Sad

Fast forward to March 9th 2016. The man who had taught me most of what I know about VW's passed away. I didn't know that he was sick. As old as he was I really thought he was going to live forever. Corky Yager was well known in the VW community. Now I was really kicking myself over that stupid car because it was a memory I had with him. Something he ALWAYS talked about. Something I tried to buy from him every year. Corky never would sell me a car. He was either going to fix it someday, didn't want to sell that one, or it was already sold.

I took a trip down from Atlanta to attend Corky's funeral. To my surprise, the car was still there. It wasn't the time to try and make a deal on the car. The family already knew I wanted the car (I'd been telling them this for years when Corky wouldn't sell me the car [for a reasonable price]).

April 27, 2016, just a few days after Corky's birthday, I contacted his wife and made an offer on the T345. She accepted my offer and I started making arrangements. I had already secured Chadd Magee to transport the car 3 years prior. I contacted him to let him know the deal was done and I would be in touch once payments had cleared and I had some other cars in the area I needed to move too.

I found out my other cars were not ready for transport and that I would need to spend some time in Florida to get them ready. I started calling around local guys to see about having the car moved just a few miles and wait a few months. I happened to catch Robbie Johnson from The Dub Barn on Mother's Day and while we were talking he said he was heading to Charlotte Transporter Show and could take it there if I could pick it up. I had no way to pick it up. He Contacted Lindy Herrell of Herrell VW Parts and he said he could bring it back to his shop just 30 minutes from my house. That made it easy! My friend Tim Welch lives just down the street and he said he could bring it to the house!

So Wednesday, May 11, 2016 my parents went down to Sunray Bugs and met of with Mrs. Yager and Robbie and loaded up the T345 for it's journey. She took a trip to SC, then Charlotte Transporter Show, then Farmington, then over to Alabama, then Lindy's shop, and finally today, Saturday, May 21, She made it home to me.

It was a long journey to get here, and it is a long journey ahead. I'm happy to have this car and the memories it holds for me. I know a lot of people have talked to Corky about this car over the years, so if you have any pictures or stories please feel free to share them Smile

pics from initial Sunray pickup here: http://keithandlaura.zenfolio.com/p353606327

Me and the T345 today
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Much more to follow. Time to start collecting parts!

Last edited by VWGirl on Mon May 23, 2016 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 T35 Reply with quote

Nice find and persistence. reminds me of my old emerald green 63.
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 T35 Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
Nice find and persistence. reminds me of my old emerald green 63.

Thanks! was yours like this when you found it?
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 T35 Reply with quote

It was hit at one point in its life so it sat for years. had relatively low mile.

Pl@y@ #1

Last edited by DMNCLNR on Sat May 21, 2016 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 T35 Reply with quote

What about your notch? Are you ever going to fix it?

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 T35 Reply with quote

Pretty sure this T34 was hit in the rear at some point and has a later rear clip.

The notchback is still in resto at Airkooled Kustoms. Have to finish that before I can start this one. Pics of that here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2gs91pyi2kodk1m/AAAhxW9DzBULpw0J8TU_rKkZa?dl=0
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 T35 Reply with quote

Nice find! sunroof car? cool! are all the sunroof parts there? Except for the type 34 specific sunroof parts, I don't think you will have any issues restoring this beauty. it looks like you are ahead of the game by being close to Chadd McGee. He has a few parts cars and or parts. The only difference between type 3's and type 34's, is that the parts are there (pricey but there) but you have a lot less competition for the same parts from other buyers. You just need deep pockets, Whereas with your notch, you compete with Fast, Square and Notch owners for the same parts.

Good Luck, Now I need to start working on mine.

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 T35 Reply with quote

Yes, a sunroof car! I think all the parts are there for that? Chadd and I have talked about this car for years. I will be checking out what he has.

Having an early N model Notch, you would be surprised at how rare some of the parts are... and Notch specific too. Thanks to someone rearending me a couple years ago I have had first hand experience of the rare and unique! The T34 is a whole new ballgame for me though. Anything outside of the regular type 3 I am completely unfamiliar.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 T35 Reply with quote

VWGirl wrote:
Yes, a sunroof car! I think all the parts are there for that? Chadd and I have talked about this car for years. I will be checking out what he has.

Having an early N model Notch, you would be surprised at how rare some of the parts are... and Notch specific too. Thanks to someone rearending me a couple years ago I have had first hand experience of the rare and unique! The T34 is a whole new ballgame for me though. Anything outside of the regular type 3 I am completely unfamiliar.

What do you think is N model / Notch specific that's hard to find?
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 T35 Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
VWGirl wrote:

What do you think is N model / Notch specific that's hard to find?

Fenders, doors, glass, the rear reflectors aren't so bad, but aren't so easy either. one side seemed to be easier than the other. decklid (i am sure the hood is almost as difficult), bumpers... Okay the list is longer than I thought.
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 T35 Reply with quote

I realize those are not all NOTCH specific, but the rear quarters, rear fenders and rear decklid would be N model notch specific... the others would just be N model specific... So the stuff that is Notch specific as well as N model specific.

Mine is also earlier which makes a difference. I think there were some changes in 65. Still doesn't make it that much easier to find.

I never did mind an N model Notch rear fender :/
RAIDER SS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 T35 Reply with quote

Congrats on your score!

What is a T35, or should I ask what is different to a T34?
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 T35 Reply with quote

RAIDER SS wrote:
Congrats on your score!

What is a T35, or should I ask what is different to a T34?

LOL! I didn't realize that it said that... it is a T34 or a T345. Thanks for calling me out! Embarassed
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 T35 Reply with quote

VWGirl wrote:
I realize those are not all NOTCH specific, but the rear quarters, rear fenders and rear decklid would be N model notch specific... the others would just be N model specific... So the stuff that is Notch specific as well as N model specific.

Mine is also earlier which makes a difference. I think there were some changes in 65. Still doesn't make it that much easier to find.

You're gonna waste 10 more years looking fruitlessly for OG N model (plain Jane) parts. Spook would prefer to see that notch going back to it's Owner long before 2026! Rolling Eyes
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 T35 Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
VWGirl wrote:

You're gonna waste 10 more years looking fruitlessly for OG N model (plain Jane) parts. Spook would prefer to see that notch going back to it's Owner long before 2026! Rolling Eyes

I found all of the parts I need and then some... but thanks for the input. This thread isn't even about my Notch Rolling Eyes
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 T345 Reply with quote

VWGirl wrote:

Interesting second pair of running lights up front.
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 T345 Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
VWGirl wrote:

Interesting second pair of running lights up front.

Yeah, there is only one full one with the car. No idea what they were added for. They will have to go!

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 T345 Reply with quote

I wonder if they were added for a market requiring clear running lights or turn signals. I think Italian Bugs had whites up front.
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 T345 Reply with quote

I wondered the same thing. Unfortunately I know nothing about the history of this car other than Corky owned it since 1990 and it has an old 70's Era Officer sticker from Fort Riley, KS
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 T345 Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: