Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambaphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I know there are a lot of posts about how to go to straight axle or IRS. But what would you do if you were me?

I have a 1966 21 Window that I just restored to look stock. Correct paint, correct interior, correct wheels etc.

Now that i have been driving it, I have decided that I want to go 65MPH on the freeway instead of the 50 or so (I am still running RGB's with a 2 liter engine).

I can either go straight axle which means lowering the bus by 2.5 inches or so, new front beam, 2.5 drop spindles.

Or I can stay at stock height and go with an IRS with a 68 to 70 rear end, bug irs trans. A reputable suspension expert is recommending the IRS set up but ??

What would you do if you had to choose? I don't know what route to go so any experiences and input would be appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=671945&highlight=

Single Port Samba Phil
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

i drove plenty bay buses, IRS does work great. 2 liter buses run great, handle good, corner good, see no reason why you should not switch to a stock height bus irs

be sure the ratios suit your expectations, bus IRS is NOT significantly faster than a big nut rgb

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

Or regear the transmission to a Freeway Flyer. With a 2 liter you have more oomph to get to and maintain a realistic highway speed. Any reputable shop will be able to recommend the gearing you need for the type of driving you do and your engine size.

Unless you either swap bus IRS parts or go with rear discs (i.e.-Porsche or similar) you will be stuck with bug brakes and bearings. And a straight axle uses essentially the same bug parts (brakes and bearings) also unless you upgrade to bus or T-3 drums or discs.

My last bus had '73 front and rear T2 suspension and brakes. And so will my next one. Except all '68 parts to stick with Wide five bolt pattern.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

Being a stock leaning person, I'd leave your nice looking bus the way it is and enjoy the ride.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

very simple.

bug IRS in the back which will lower the bus about 3.5"

flipped spindles in the front which will also lower it about 3.5"

both of which will improve the handling of the bus.

seek out a 4.12 ring/pinion transmission which will have DUAL sideplates on the trans.

what size tires do you currently have? there is a possibility you may be able to still use them (esp. the rears) with the above mentioned combo.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

You can only drive 50mph with a 2L? Something is wrong there.....I regularly drive our '66 bus with a 1600sp at 60-65.

Bus looks great Phil!
sambaphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I appreciate the input and feedback. I still need to do more research but this helps me. Busboys have a bolt on irs kit but?

Camping box, I still have reduction boxes on my bus. You say you can go a lot faster with a 1600. Do you still have Reduction boxes?

Thanks again. I will update this later after I have decided.

Single Port Samba Phil
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

What size are those tires? They look small-ish in the wheel wells.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

yes, 65 should be no problem with a 1500 single port with 64-67 reduction boxes. I daily drove mine 65+ no probs, heavy 66 kombi camper.

It this your first bus? are you expecting to cruise 65 at low RPM? You cant do that. You need the high RPM to keep the fan speed up

do you know what RPM you are at at 50mph? Do you have the correct big nut trans or the earlier small nut?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

sambaphil wrote:
Hi Guys,

I appreciate the input and feedback. I still need to do more research but this helps me. Busboys have a bolt on irs kit but?

Camping box, I still have reduction boxes on my bus. You say you can go a lot faster with a 1600. Do you still have Reduction boxes?

Thanks again. I will update this later after I have decided.

any 1500 or 1600 motor that is healthy will run to 75 on a level highway unless you run into a headwind. it is loud, it is running high rpm, it is going to get hot, but it will absolutely do it.

a freeway flyer with RGBs and a 2 liter will totally do what you need. Put in good shocks, good tires, (as in not beetle tires) and ride at stock height.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
sambaphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

It looks to me I have a big nut trans
As far as rpms, it sounds like 4,000 to me when going 50 to 55. But I don't have a tach yet. Tire size is 195/75 R14

This is my first bus as an adult, I have been doing a lot of cosmetics / engine work but when it comes to transmissions I do not have any experience. Thanks for all your input. Much appreciated.

Single Port Samba Phil
[email protected]
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

sambaphil wrote:
Hi Guys,

Yes, the 66 kombi has RGBs, big nut RGBs.

According to the owners manual, a 66 bus has a maximum speed of 65mph,

Of course, that is a stock gears for the year in the trans, with stock size tires, and a stock 1500 motor, and not many have exactly that. But it was buildt as a 1 ton rig with gears to go 60-65 mph no problem, while carrying a ton of stuff.

When I did the math, it was about 4K rpms at 65mph, and a 66 bus came with a 4.37 r/p
You should have no problem going over 50 mph. Does it just not go over 50? or does the engine just sound loud when you put your foot down? Are you going to Woodburn?

Not many people can tell rpm by ear, maybe get a tach on it (doesn't need to be permanently installed) to find rpms at different speeds. To some people if you just aren't used to it, it is odd to drive a VW, it just doesn't sound like a modern car. A friend thought my engine would explode, the way I drove. It was fine.
You don't want to shift up too early (before about 3K rpms) or the engine lugs when you drop into the higher gear, and you aren't in the good torque range. Especially going up hill. I'll drive 25-30mph in 2nd gear up Harrison hill. You don't want to be at the bottom of the gear pulling a steep hill.

How is where you shift compared to the marks on the speedometer?
This shows that VW says the top of 3rd gear is 40mph.

What size are your tires?
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

My '66 had a Bus Boys kit on it when I bought it twenty-five years ago. The rear brakes and wheel drive stubs are from a '69. The transmission side drive stubs are from a Safari (Thing) so I can use large CV joints on both sides of the axle.

To me, the key is the handling, not so much the overall gear ratio. With an IRS set-up, the rear wheels will toe out a bit under acceleration. With the original suspension, when unladen, the rear wheels toe in at a considerable angle, making the bus easy to roll. Toe out will cause wear on the inner edges of the drive wheels, but the handling improvement is immense!

I've been California-to-Florida and back three times, crossed the continental divide more times than I can count, and handled Los Angeles freeway traffic.

I use low profile tires, a dual-port 1641, and the transmission from a '71 Karmann Ghia. When I bought it, it had a '74 transmission and taller tires, but the gearing was too tall for the single-port that was in it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

Your 195/75R14 have a diameter of 25.52"
Original 7:00X14 had a diameter of 26.22"

I never liked math so you can calculate the percentage off of the top speed they cost you yourself. Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

You have 2 choices that will provide the same results: IRS with stock bug gearing like I currently have, or "freeway flier" with the RGBs and slightly taller tires as I did have before doing the IRS Exclamation

With the FF/RGB and tall tires combo I ran an 1835 which would cruise comfortably at 70/75, pulling the trailer even. When I did the IRS, with the same tall tires, it would do 95 at the same rpm!!! So I then install smaller tires and now it will do 70 at about 3500rpm. I do run a 2276 too. Cool

For tire size "decisions" I use this Tire Calculator from Discount Tire. You just plug in the numbers of what you have and what you want and it gives you the difference of speeds, rpms, etc. Wink
sambaphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
You have 2 choices that will provide the same results: IRS with stock bug gearing like I currently have, or "freeway flier" with the RGBs and slightly taller tires as I did have before doing the IRS Exclamation

With the FF/RGB and tall tires combo I ran an 1835 which would cruise comfortably at 70/75, pulling the trailer even. When I did the IRS, with the same tall tires, it would do 95 at the same rpm!!! So I then install smaller tires and now it will do 70 at about 3500rpm. I do run a 2276 too. Cool

For tire size "decisions" I use this Tire Calculator from Discount Tire. You just plug in the numbers of what you have and what you want and it gives you the difference of speeds, rpms, etc. Wink

Hey PyrOman,

So you had both set ups I am considering (I want to keep stock height). How big of a difference is the IRS ride? If you got a stock bus today, what rear suspension / trans would you put in?

Part of the equation for me is handling / safety. My current positive camber on my rear wheels makes it really unstable on turns if going a little too fast. If I was forced into some sort of evasive maneuver It would enhance my probability of rolling.

I am gravitating towards the IRS set up from Bus Boys with a bug tranny. I would love a little positive camber with the stability of IRS.

Cheers,

Single Port Samba Phil
[email protected]
sambaphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

Harleyelf wrote:
My '66 had a Bus Boys kit on it when I bought it twenty-five years ago. The rear brakes and wheel drive stubs are from a '69. The transmission side drive stubs are from a Safari (Thing) so I can use large CV joints on both sides of the axle.

To me, the key is the handling, not so much the overall gear ratio. With an IRS set-up, the rear wheels will toe out a bit under acceleration. With the original suspension, when unladen, the rear wheels toe in at a considerable angle, making the bus easy to roll. Toe out will cause wear on the inner edges of the drive wheels, but the handling improvement is immense!

I've been California-to-Florida and back three times, crossed the continental divide more times than I can count, and handled Los Angeles freeway traffic.

I use low profile tires, a dual-port 1641, and the transmission from a '71 Karmann Ghia. When I bought it, it had a '74 transmission and taller tires, but the gearing was too tall for the single-port that was in it.

Thanks HarleyElf, I am on board with the IRS set up. Handling is a major part of the equation on this decision. Thanks for the input.

Single Port Samba Phil
[email protected]
sambaphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

[quote="Clara"]
sambaphil wrote:
Hi Guys,

When I did the math, it was about 4K rpms at 65mph, and a 66 bus came with a 4.37 r/p
You should have no problem going over 50 mph. Does it just not go over 50? or does the engine just sound loud when you put your foot down? Are you going to Woodburn?

Not many people can tell rpm by ear, maybe get a tach on it (doesn't need to be permanently installed) to find rpms at different speeds. To some people if you just aren't used to it, it is odd to drive a VW, it just doesn't sound like a modern car. A friend thought my engine would explode, the way I drove. It was fine.

What size are your tires?

Hey Clara,

Thanks for all the information you provided. When I say my bus does not go above 50MPH, it will but the RPMs are really high (no tach) but it sounds like 4500+. I can burst up to 60 but it sounds like the engine will explode like you say. Maybe its fine, but I think your idea of getting a tach will give me the hard numbers I need to be sure.

Woodburn is not in the cards for me this year. Your interior looks sweet in my bus by the way Smile. Thanks again for the input, you and Greg have helped me out a number of times.

Cheers,

Single Port Samba Phil
[email protected]
sambaphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

By the way, the ladies in my neighborhood love my bus. Smile

Single Port Samba Phil
[email protected]
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Advise Needed - 1966 Samba - Straight Axle or IRS? Reply with quote

Definitely you can go with a freeway flier transaxle and RGBs. Did that with our 1960 walk thru panel to get 3,000 RPM @ 60 MPH. Instead of the stock 47 MPH in fourth @ 3,000 RPM, and 3,800 RPM @ 55 MPH. Will do 70 MPH @ about 3,500 RPM, but oil temp definitely goes upward.

Buy or borrow a tach to wire in temporary, take it for a fifteen minute drive. Have a passenger hold the tach and write down what MPH you hit 1,500 RPM in 2-4th gears and 3,000 RPM in 1-4th.

As for whether or not to go with double jointed rear axles would depend on how hard you like to take the curves and turns. After all this is a bus not a Porsche! Personally prefer the easy maintenance of the swing axle and if you have the right tires, shocks and anti-sway bars it makes a huge difference.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Mon May 23, 2016 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: