Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a pic of behind of the head. You will see wet at very center part of head. Actually I have just change the oil. Yes oil is still clear. Looks little bit oil, but this is wetter than you see. You also see heat exchanger is very wet. I used to believe oil on H/E is coming from cover gasket. But it may be wrong. Answer must be from behind of the head.

My question is where is this oil coming from? You will see tube, tube gasket is new. less than 100miles young.
Please someone suggest this problem.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

Rocker studs or head studs (where they are located in the head) would be my guess...

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

The best possible scenario you can hope for is the head nuts where not torqued properly and oil is seeping out behind a loose head nut. I have seen this. Re-torque the bottom 4 nuts and pray that it was that easy speasy. Anything else is an engine pull. Some guys just love a reason to drop the engine though,right ??.
vw65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your suggestion.
I see, it may come from stud bolt.
Actually I took off this engine few months ago to change pushrod tube, and someother things.
I thought I carefully torqued all eight nuts. But yes, locationwise it mat be right. I will try to retoruq, but only bottom ones this time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheAmazingDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:
Some guys just love a reason to drop the engine though,right ??.

I did until I put dual carbs on... Shocked
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

Did you stretch the pushrod tubes before you installed them? I'd guess pushrod tubes.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

Rocker studs.

Either the o-rings behind the rockers, or the oil is going out through the stud threads.

I use permatex on the rocker stud threads. Then o-rings. Then re-torque the rockers.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

Wild guess..

Maybe it's from the oil cooler seals, and the fan is blowing oil sideways toward the head?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yehan73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

I don't think it's either of these. I think it's a slow leak from your valve cover casket. Oil will travel upward and make it look like it's leaking from there. The best is to wash the whole area and then go for a quick drive. You should be able to spot it easier that way.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

Yehan73 wrote:
Oil will travel upward ...

Right Lisa, a wonderful magical oil.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

I wood tend to think rocker or head studs., clean them good and keep an eyeball on them to see. there both eazy to fix....most of the tyme Wink
vw65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

I really thank all of you.
I want to check everything all of you suggested.
Before that I will clean up the area oil may be leaking, then test drive.
I will report the result off course.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

There are UV dyes available to add to the oil, to look for leaks with UV light and goggles...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
There are UV dyes available to add to the oil, to look for leaks with UV light and goggles...
and see your entire vw glow like a alien eating raidoactive eyesotopes...or whatever raiddo active stuff glows....I ate a bunch years ago but didnt glow so....it all dont glow. Wink more than likely you will have more that one place it's leeking.mine has over 75000 miles and seeps a bit. but about 2 years ago it started a tad more that a seep in winter form the same aera you have shown. but as long as I can go 1 year between oil/filter changes and not have to add any oil.....it's fine just collects a tad amount of dirt/dust....but so do I.
vw65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

pics above are after test driving. you see oil around tube gaskets. they look like coming from studs. Also you see very oily studs. So this time, I will retorque only four under studs and studs for rocker shaft.
Then I have other questions.

1,I know rocker shaft has oil seal. I will change them. But should I put something RTV or simillar thing also?

2, Studs have thick washer. Do I need to put something like RTV?

3, This is very stupid question. My manual says 31N-m for second time is right torque for cylinder head studs. Whenever I torque 31N-m, I always feel it is too loose. I have never tryied to torque more though.
Was 31N-m right? If I have no torque wrench, I must torque more than 31N-m.
Reason why this question is if oil is from studs, I really understand, because I always feel very loose. Any suggestion or opinion?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

BTW spray on atheletes foot powder works nicely to identify some leak. Seems to have talcum powder in it, so after the engine has been cleaned, spray it on and run it. Leaking areas or oil trails will be easy to spot.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

This doesn't look like your issue but for future reference, pushrod tubes sometimes seep a little oil around the seams, so should be installed with the seam facing UP. I see at least a couple of yours are facing down.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
vw65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

Thank you for many advices.
Then, I saw other topic about sealant for head washer. some says it does not need. But other say you can do if you want.
So I tried to put sealant for head washer, and stud for rocker arm.

I took off washers. See pic. very dirty. I tried to sand.

After sanding. You see sanded only inside or outside. This means washer in warp,bend.

you see the gap between washers.

This may be reason oil leaking from behind head.
I ordered aircooled.net. I do not know how long it takes.

I anyway, put sealant to these warped washers to install.

yes leaking is better, but still leaking.
When I got brand-new washers, I will report it.
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

Idea Remote possibility of oil seeping past the cyl/wall by the lower inside head studs dripping on to the push tube area.

Some times the cyl deflector shield will cover the leak source (have seen that)
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: take a look this pic, where is this oil coming from? Reply with quote

HRVW - Sent you a PM a while ago. Havent heard back from you.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: