Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to get new engine for 78 bus
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jstrother123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

my 78 bus blew its engine, cracked the block on both top and bottom so there doesn't look like there is anything left to rebuild. So I am looking to get a new engine for it. All of my sources have dried up, is there any reputable builders still in business? I know Raby does a good one, but it is $25,000 and a year wait so I am hoping for something a little bit more affordable and still reliable. From what I can tell I want to run away from GEX, Bus depot, mid-america motorworks, jcsvwparts, and mofoco.. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

Contact Adrian @ www.headflowmasters.com

He is in Southern CA. and does great work

Is your Bus stock with fuel injection?
jstrother123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I was running dual Weber 34s, other than that it was pretty much stock even though I managed to find a 70a alternator for it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

Bus engines are getting a lot harder to find in the condition of a good core. While I think highly of Adrian, there are a lot of folks who have seen issues the last year or two with his engine. Part of it I think is that core engines are getting harder to find and people who have them think they are gold. It is really hard to rebuild a poor core without problems.

It is not uncommon to find ads for cores that are boat anchors where someone wants $1500 for it. Seven years ago we paid $125 for a good long block with only a real 90,000 miles on it. Times have changed. Even so Adrian might be your best bet if you have patience. There is also a guy in the Midwest who always advertising cores - his name is Recycled Jack or something like that. I know nothing about him other than his ads.

Sorry about your engine.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

That might be Recycled Jack in Auburn Hills MI, perhaps?

I used him all the time with my w/c Rabbits and Quanta..but that was back before the internet
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That might be Recycled Jack in Auburn Hills MI, perhaps?

I used him all the time with my w/c Rabbits and Quanta..but that was back before the internet

yes - he lists several engine cores of that era.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/short-blocks...hgod_dkJPA

Very Happy

you guys just knew I was going to do that Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

he only does 2000cc builds. From Samba business listings:

Name Suburban Engine Exchange
Categories Engine
Location Waltham
Description WORKED FOR BOSTON BOB FOR OVER 15 YEARS HAVE ALL BOBS SPEC'S AND MOST OF HIS TOOL AND EQUIPMENT . DOING ENGINES AS BOB LIKED THEM , 2.1 WXB 1600CC AND NOW A 1600 DP TO A 1700CC DP ENGINE AS A LOW RPM STOKER FOR BUS,S AND 2.0 ENGINE IF PART ARE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF ORDER HOPE TO HELP ALL TO KEEP YOUR V W ON THE ROAD Gary.
Contact Info E MAIL [email protected]
OR CALL 1-781-652-1722 Gary leblanc
WALTHAM MASS 02453
Website http://WWW.SUBURBANENGINE.COM

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
jstrother123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

I have considered going the subaru engine route, I am a little intimidated by the radiator install/location and also locating a good engine that would work.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

jstrother123 wrote:
I have considered going the subaru engine route, I am a little intimidated by the radiator install/location and also locating a good engine that would work.

Good call on your part. Call Gary at Suburban Engine and he will do you all right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drozdenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

I've been driving one of Gary's engines for the past ~15k miles with no issues.

Couple minor things during the install but nothing major.

Overall a pretty good buy in today's market.
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'02 Passat GLS 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

Good call on your part..

why? are you going to bring your bus to Litchfield this year? I don't think I have ever seen your bus in person

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

The OP is not likely the welder/fabricator you are. A stock engine swap is an easier operation for most people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
The OP is not likely the welder/fabricator you are. A stock engine swap is an easier operation for most people.

several have pulled it off to varying degrees of neatness. suppose it's all in what you want to do.

totally forgot about suburban engine. gary is a nice guy. my biggest complaint with him is he needs to get out of the 80's and stop hemi cutting the heads. other than that, I would trust him

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

Two Camper Special Plus engines will be on the shelf this year. One in October, and one in December.

Turn key, with Nickies and all USA made performance parts, topped off with Dellorto carbs, or stock EFI (EFI adds 1750.00). 25K is the cost outright, no exchange necessary. Keep your old engine.

We only have the components, and quality cores to build two. I'll assemble them both as my signature series.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jstrother123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

Thanks for the post. I know your engines are top notch and worth the money, I just don't have those kind of funds available at this time.

Jim
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

$25K? Wow...

Gary@Suburban is building my engine right now. I gave him my deposit in January and we have spoken regularly regarding the build. He has sent me pictures and called me often to update me. It has been a little while, but I'll tell you what, quality takes time. I have never questioned his commitment to providing the best product available. Sometimes that takes a while.
I just talked to him yesterday and he said this week it should be done. Getting excited!
customcityjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

PM sent
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
Two Camper Special Plus engines will be on the shelf this year. One in October, and one in December.

Turn key, with Nickies and all USA made performance parts, topped off with Dellorto carbs, or stock EFI (EFI adds 1750.00). 25K is the cost outright, no exchange necessary. Keep your old engine.

We only have the components, and quality cores to build two. I'll assemble them both as my signature series.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, I promise. However, I simply can't wrap my head around why any re-built aircooled VW engine would cost $25k, turn key or not. I do understand your experience, R&D and your excellent building skills and reputation. Just doing some fast math in my head for parts and what would be a generous amount of labor to build/assemble the motor, break it in, test it on an engine stand, etc.., get's no where near $25k.

I'd love to better understand the price point for this engine if you'd care to expand.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to get new engine for 78 bus Reply with quote

The cost is the cost. Justification is not necessary.

These two engines have top shelf everything, and I'm spending over 100 hours of my life to assemble each one. I don't work cheap.

The time I'm taking to build these two could be equally spent building a 50-85,000 dollar Porsche engine to my specs, so the cost is the same for my time between the two.

Parts and processes make up about 15k, the rest is my time. I'm probably not charging enough for them at 25k, but there's emails rolling in everyday for the CS, and I finally decided to let go of some parts and build a couple.

There's lots of cheap things you can buy, but this isn't one of them.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: