Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bearing race install, no press, using heat and cold.
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigolio1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Bearing race install, no press, using heat and cold. Reply with quote

This actually came about while I was researching how to do the bearings on my trailer but I feel like its relevant here.

In the you tube video I watched...

Link

...the fellow heats the drum in his oven, at the same time freezing the bearing (his car has a one piece bearing assembly without a separate race) in his freezer. After a period of time he takes the race out and it drops right into his drum. Once the temperatures come back to normal it's all set.

I don't have a press or a race/seal driver kit (although I'm not afraid to buy tools when needed) but I'm a big fan of working smarter, not harder. I'm interested to hear peoples' thoughts on using this method to seat the race in my Ghias front disc. Obviously brake parts can handle heat, and it gets way colder here in the winter than it is in my freezer so cold temps are not an issue either.

What do you think?

Craig.

Link to my build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637602

Located in the Toronto area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing race install, no press, using heat and cold. Reply with quote

Back in the day that is how we used to pin out pistons and rods.
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
craigolio1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing race install, no press, using heat and cold. Reply with quote

That's how they put the tires on steam locomotives back in the day. I don't see a problem with it since there are no rubber bits involved or other things that could be damaged.

Craig

Link to my build thread:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing race install, no press, using heat and cold. Reply with quote

it works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
craigolio1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing race install, no press, using heat and cold. Reply with quote

Awesome!

Link to my build thread:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: