Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Only running on 2 cylinders
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
freeebird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Only running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

I have a 1973 super beetle with a 1600 engine and when I stepped on the gas it would boog out come to find out it is only running on 2 cylinders 1 and 2 the other side is cold cylinders 3 and 4, so far I checked the cables the plugs and I am getting lots of spark at the plugs. it has a new carb on it as well as new points, wires and plugs. Thanks Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylenders Reply with quote

Check the rubber boot on the intake on the non running side and see if it's cracked.

brad
richardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylenders Reply with quote

Check firing order.
freeebird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylenders Reply with quote

I check the rubber and it has no cracks what so ever as well as I checked for other leaks as well and everything seems to be ok
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
freeebird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylenders Reply with quote

I checked the firing as well and seems to be right
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylenders Reply with quote

What about your valves? Do you have them adjusted correctly? Timing? etc. Need more information. Type of distributor?

If you just replaced things, lets start there. Are the plugs gapped correctly? Getting spark at the 3 and 4 plugs? Did you check the cap and rotor?

Quite a few variables here. Make a list and check it off when you have verified each part is doing what it is supposed to be doing.
freeebird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylenders Reply with quote

The motor itself is a 1970 B block, was just a fresh rebuild when I picked it up last year and seen to run fine then it is when I brought it out this spring it is only running on 2 cylinders
freeebird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylenders Reply with quote

running a stock distributor, I well check the valves
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylenders Reply with quote

New plugs SINCE the problem started or before? First I STRONGLY suspect a vacuum leak on that side. Have run into that a few times. BUT if you haven't, pulled the plugs on that side, you should. Have fouled out plugs on occasion when doing the "spring startup". Usually once its running, they will clean themselves up. But you may have just flooded it and they are too crapped up.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylenders Reply with quote

freeebird wrote:
I checked the firing as well and seems to be right

No - MAKE SURE it's right !!! Check and recheck.

Not my diagram, I borrowed (thanks)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylenders Reply with quote

And do what Cusser said first....I know better and did that recently - except I think it was 2 and 4 werent firing. Not sure which way I was off, but I was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
freeebird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylenders Reply with quote

Yea I checked and double checked the wires the only thing is my distributor seems it is showing number 1 is back where 2 should be going by line on housing that shows where 1 is located. Is maybe my timing is way off?
Ursalon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylenders Reply with quote

Double check to make sure your distributor cap is on correctly, notch to notch. Check your valves on the cold side, if they're not opening or closing enough that won't allow your engine to fire. If everything is right outside that's worrisome. I had a similar problem, only my engine wouldn't start. Turns out that my cam had been worn down so much that it wasn't opening or closing the valves at the right time so no amount of valve adjustments would have made a difference. listen for knocking or anything else that might signal internal problems next time you have it running.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylenders Reply with quote

The car I am working on right now had the cap on 180 degrees out. The thing kind of ran.....very badly, but it ran.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

Make sure the rocker arms on the cold side of the engine arent hanging loose inside the valvecover... ive seen a couple engines running the way you describe, and on one when the owner finally listened to advice and checked the valve adjustment he found the problem.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
75Flamebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

I was only running on 3 cylinders last night. That was when I readjusted my valves, checked and gapped the points. After I readjusted the points, the timing was WAAYYY off. So I reset it. I was still having a backfiring problem and no power. I cleaned each spark plug but that didn't help.

So I pulled one spark wire at a time to narrow it down to which cylinder was not sparking. Figured out that it was the number one cylinder. Then, I switched the spark plugs around noting where I put the troubled spark plug. What that does is it eliminates the assumption that maybe there is something wrong with that head or cylinder. That was when I realized that its only THAT spark plug giving me problems. I replaced the spark plug and now my car runs MUCH better! I thought that I had an intake leak or something so I spent some money on things I'm never going to use (ie. starter fluid).

In between each step, I test drove it.

So first, I readjusted the valves when the engine was COLD.
(Checked Timing)
Then, I checked to make sure that my rotor and cap weren't worn down.
Next, I used starter fluid to check for an intake leak.
The next thing I did was I checked to make sure that my fuel filter wasn't clogged (replaced it).
Then, I checked the spark plugs. They were coated with black powdery stuff. I cleaned them until my new ones arrived.
(Checked Timing)
Next, I check the point gap. I had absolutely no gap. I fixed that.
(Checked Timing and it was way off)
Finally, since it was still running weird, I checked compression and was getting 120 psi in each cylinder.
Then, I narrowed the backfiring to one cylinder.
Replaced that spark plug and fixed the problem. Smile
----------Since Oct 2014----------
freeebird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

well I ordered new plugs, cap, rotor, condenser and points and well I am waiting for them to arrive I well check timing and valve clearance. Just wanted to say thanks for all the help and feedback, Mike
freeebird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

well I did everything I could think of and still not running on all four, check compression and i'm getting 150lbs, check the valve clearance and it is spot on, changed cap rotor and put new plugs in it, tried adjusting the timing and that did not work, changed the plug wires, has a new carb on it as well. now I am lost as to what to try next engine runs and idles fine just not running on all four. could I have a broken valve or something? oh yea I checked and double checked and the plug wires are on in the correct firing order, Thanks Mike
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

Read this article by SpeedyJim and follow it step by step. You or all of the helpful people here are missing something.
http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/eng_strt.htm
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Only running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

You're saying you have 150psi in all 4 cylinders when you do a compression test? But when you fire up the car it only runs on cylinders 1 and 2? (3 and 4 are bad?)

If this is correct then I can almost guarantee your plug wires on cylinders 3 and 4 are swapped.

Pics would help

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: