Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Help IRS Freeway Flyer Issue, has less than 400 Miles,
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MAJORVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Need Help IRS Freeway Flyer Issue, has less than 400 Miles, Reply with quote

I have around 400 Miles on my rebuilt IRS Freeway Flyer, out of nowhere, I suddenly could not get in any gear with the motor running. when I shut the engine off, I could get in gear, but when I turned the key, it wanted to take off. I thought maybe I had a throwout bearing or, pressure plate issue. I took the engine out and did not see any issues with the Clutch, pressure plate or throwout bearing, but that doesn't mean there is not a problem there. my boden tube has the proper bend and clutch feels good. before I order all new clutch , bearing and pressure plate, and install the engine again, just to have the same problem, could this issue be the Trans?
Looking for any advise! Thank You
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help IRS Freeway Flyer Issue, has less than 400 Miles, Reply with quote

You adjusted the clutch free-play, right? If it isn't releasing completely it will do this.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help IRS Freeway Flyer Issue, has less than 400 Miles, Reply with quote

Clutch cable tube that runs inside the tunnel could have come loose. Does it 'squeak' when you depress the clutch?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help IRS Freeway Flyer Issue, has less than 400 Miles, Reply with quote

MAJORVW wrote:
could this issue be the Trans?

No.

Your trans input shaft is turning when it should not. Look at things that will turn the input shaft. Usually the clutch not disengaging.
Maybe your clutch cable has stretched and is about to snap. Or your clutch pedal is broken and not giving you full cable travel.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help IRS Freeway Flyer Issue, has less than 400 Miles, Reply with quote

The pilot bearing in the gland nut might have frozen up. Is there any galling on the tip of the input shaft?
MAJORVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help IRS Freeway Flyer Issue, has less than 400 Miles, Reply with quote

Clutch feels the same as always, I did try to adjust the wing nut a little , nut no difference. I have all new parts coming this weekend, So I will update everyone. Thank You all for the feedback!
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help IRS Freeway Flyer Issue, has less than 400 Miles, Reply with quote

Have you checked with the builder?

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MAJORVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help IRS Freeway Flyer Issue, has less than 400 Miles, Reply with quote

Yes, I have been speaking to Roy at Mofoco, He has been helpful, after he realized I can put in all gears with the engine off. He is positive that it is in the clutch system somewhere. I told him I would follow up with him next week once I have the engine back in.

Thanks
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help IRS Freeway Flyer Issue, has less than 400 Miles, Reply with quote

MAJORVW wrote:
[ I suddenly could not get in any gear with the motor running.

Dougy Dee wrote:
Clutch cable tube that runs inside the tunnel could have come loose.

Suspect this has happened.
Remove the E-brake boot and look inside the tunnel with a flashlight while you operate the clutch pedal . . . do you see any of the tubes move?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help IRS Freeway Flyer Issue, has less than 400 Miles, Reply with quote

Have someone watch the throw out bearing arm as you push the clutch peddle down and see if you are getting full movement if so then I'm betting throw out bearing arm is ready to snap (the pressure plate probably isn't moving enough).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: