Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Baja Build **pic heavy**
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

Good news I figured out how to adjust the distributor. 1 10mm bolt and twist the distributor body. I got it lined up with the mark so timing should be close. I am able to get it running by pouring fuel into the carb. But will die when it is out of fuel. The fuel pump is not pulling fuel from the tank( just an external tank for now.) So I think Im going to take apart the fuel pump and possibly rebuild it.
MIBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

Well I ordered a New fuel pump as it was cheaper than a rebuild Kit. I will probably still rebuild the one to have a spare. I got the 2 rear quarter windows installed. I found a local guy that has a headlight bucket so I am going to pick that up this week. I tried to install the front windshield and broke it so that was a bummer. I have started wiring, and as i feared I dont love wiring Smile I still have not figured out the Hard start Relay so if anyone has any input on that it would be greatly appreciated.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

MIBaja wrote:

Im ready to start running wires and stuff. So Im hoping to set up Temp wires in the mean time so I can finally hear it run. I am trying to wire up a hard start relay and get the engine running for the first time. I found this link online and thought ok that is pretty straight forward I can wire that up.

Well It was not so easy. The hard start relay I have has 5 wires instead of the 4 called out on that site.

So from the instructions that came with it I understand it to be.
Yellow is the red from the link above that would have the 15amp fuse in it.
Blue is the ground.
Brown goes to my push button in this case so i can test it and the other side of the push button goes to the solenoid on the starter.
Red goes to the Solenoid on the stater.
Where does black go?
Also where does the wire from the coil go to in this? Is that what black goes 2?

Wiring is something that I have not been looking forward 2, but at least it means I am getting closer to driving it.

Thank you

Here's a link ...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=421220

Looks like ...

30 (red) on relay goes to the battery for "always on" 12 volts

86 (yellow) on relay goes to ground

87 (black) on relay goes to #50 on starter solenoid

85 (blue) on relay goes to #50 on ignition switch

I think you can leave 87a (brown) disconnected and taped up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The ignition coil doesn't get wired into the hard start relay. The ignition coil goes to #15 on the ignition switch

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

I haven't installed my new windshield yet, but I'm gonna try the method in this video when the time comes ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGMd0CrEQig

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

He mentions in there using West Coast Metric window seals. When I last did mine in 2009, I had a set of seals from JBugs.

I broke 2 windshield glasses and had the rear window pop clean out of the car AFTER it was seated all the way around before I figured out that the seal was just too fat. I stopped and ordered seals from West Coast and the windows went in slick and easy after.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MIBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

Ok I will try ordering those seals and get new glass. I have not found a good source for glass. Everywhere wants a fortune in shipping for them. I am trying to find some locally but I also have not found anyone that has the correct year glass. I also dont know if it would be cheaper to go to an auto glass place to have them get or make it for me.

So wiring question. Where does the stock wiring go through the firewall? I looked on the left side where I thought it was brought in, but dont see any access. I might just have to drill a hole as maybe the metal was replaced in that area with no hole provided. Also to wire the alternator with external regulator, does it need the 2amp light to operate correctly?? I did some reading on it and it looks like it does but I dont really get why that is. I also dont get why my external regulator has 4 pins but you only run 3 wires to the alternator. Is the last one just a dummy or does it get wired to something else.

So question on the relay. I get all of the wiring for the relay now, but im still confused on #85. Since Im currently trying to wire it up with a toggle switch and push button (just until I get all my wiring run)

When I wired without the relay I had the positive from the battery go to the toggle switch and then to the coil. I also had my push button go from the terminal on the starter( same one as #87 goes to) and to the positive of the toggle switch. So When I turn on the toggle it provides power to the coil. When I push the button it connects #87 to the positive of the battery. So looking at the wiring for the ignition it looks like I have the #50 terminal and A line that goes out to the starter. So In my setup Do I run the #85 to the toggle switch which then goes to the coil, and the push button goes from the positive of the toggle switch back to #50 on the starter?

I found a local guy that had so many beetle parts that he is trying to get rid of so I was able to get my headlight bucket. along with a few other parts. I got a Carb H30/31 and one heat exchanger, a complete headlight assy as well as some random smaller parts for $60. Would having a set up with 1 heat exhanger do anything or am I better off getting another one before I install them.

I ordered a new fuel pump a few days ago and It should be coming today. I pulled the carb off, the distribuator, and got the old fuel pump off. When I took it off I was not able to move the lever on the bottom, but after playing with it a little I think I freed it up. Is there a way to get them apart? It was cheaper to get a new fuel pump than a rebuild kit but I was thinking if the seals look good I would keep it around for a spare.

Im building a deck this weekend so very little work will probably get done, but with any luck I might be able to run it tonight.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

MIBaja wrote:

So question on the relay. I get all of the wiring for the relay now, but im still confused on #85. Since Im currently trying to wire it up with a toggle switch and push button (just until I get all my wiring run)

When I wired without the relay I had the positive from the battery go to the toggle switch and then to the coil. I also had my push button go from the terminal on the starter( same one as #87 goes to) and to the positive of the toggle switch. So When I turn on the toggle it provides power to the coil. When I push the button it connects #87 to the positive of the battery. So looking at the wiring for the ignition it looks like I have the #50 terminal and A line that goes out to the starter. So In my setup Do I run the #85 to the toggle switch which then goes to the coil, and the push button goes from the positive of the toggle switch back to #50 on the starter?

I'm having a hard time following what you wrote, so I made a couple of crude schematics to illustrate a push button starter with toggle switch ignition without the relay and a push button starter switch with toggle switch ignition with the relay.

MIBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

That is awesome exactly what I needed. I had the first setup correct, but with the relay I was not right. So thank you. I will let you know what happens. I also might of found a new rear windshield and am probably going to have a local shop get me the front.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

Let6's back up a little bit here...
You are looking for a hole through the firewall for the wire harness...Right?

Bugs never came form the factory with such a hole. Early Bugs had the main wire harness routed through the A-pillar up into the roof channel over the door and down the c-pillar out the opening to the left and above the firewall. Later Bugs it was routed down by the front door jamb to near the heater channel, then out for a few inches and into the heater channel and along the door sill to the back seat area, where it came out to connect to the voltage regulator, then back into the side and up over the fender and out the same place as early Bugs.

"Heat exchanger"? I'm not sure what you mean by that. Better explanation and/or pictures are needed.

Windshield glass...Early Bugs pre-1965 have flat windshields that can be cut from plain automotive safety glass. From 1965 year model on, the windshield glass is NOT flat. It has a slight bow to it, and it MUST be formed to fit, not cut from plate.

The voltage regulator, either built-into the alternator or external, REQUIRES that indicator light circuit with an incandescent bulb or equivalent resistor to operate. If you put in an LED, you HAVE to add an incandescent bulb or resistor for it to work. This applies to generators also.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

I took the advice of many people here on TheSamba and bought myself a Bentley Publishers "Volkswagen Official Service Manual Beetle and Karmann Ghia 1966-1969". I suggest buying one for your year too. A lot of good info in it.

Maybe this picture will pertain to your car too.

MIBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

So great news I got the beetle running for the first time. I had it wired to the relay but I ended up blowing a fuse. Not sure if something shorted because the connections were not the best, so I ended up just taking it out till the wiring is complete.

As far as a heat exchanger this is what I got from the guy. It is used but still looks to be in good shape. http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/heater-box-lh-not-for-fuel-injected-models355423

That is how I routed the wires for the regulator and was thinking that was how the wires for the wiring harness would go but I dont see a place that they are able to run along the heater channels. I have seen some people run conduit along the heater channels and I was thinking I might do that as it would make running the wires easier as well as if I ever needed to fix any wiring.

the Local place was not cutting the glass they were ordering it for me, but it was cheaper than any place I found online.

I couldn't figure out how to load videos of it running so you will just have to believe me but it was a huge boost for me. I cant wait to drive it for the first time.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

Here's a good picture of the wiring along the heater channel ...

Congrats on getting the car started Dancing

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

MIBaja wrote:
I had it wired to the relay but I ended up blowing a fuse. Not sure if something shorted because the connections were not the best, so I ended up just taking it out till the wiring is complete.

Try switching 85 to ground and 86 to the push button switch. That may cure the problem with the fuse blowing.

MIBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

Hello all,

Its been a while since I posted. Winter came and I have been doing lots of other things along with trying to work on the beetle. Last time I was on I had just gotten the beetle started for the first time. Since then Very very slow progress has happened with the wiring. I keep looking at different wiring diagrams and keep thinking the same things over and over. How does any of this work?
My biggest issue is how is power from the battery given to the fuse block. In modern cars the fuse block has a heavy gauge wire running to the battery which powers all of the + side of the fuses. All of the fuse diagrams for beetles dont appear to have wires running to the battery. What Am I missing? I have alot of wires that are overwhelming so my thought is start with the rear light brakes, turn, etc, then move to headlights, wipers, and slowly keep working until I get wiring done. If anyone has a dumb diagram to explain what is really going on with beetle wiring that would be very helpful.

The other issue i have is the wiring diagrams will show a wire going to the speedo then i spend a while researching the speedo wiring diagram to figure out which pin it goes to. That process repeates everytime I have a new wire to a new switch.

Still have not driven it. I believe the clutch cable on there has stretched to no longer be useful as i have it all the way in and can not get the clutch to disengage. I will be replacing the clutch cable in the near future.

Thank you in advance
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

Here's a link to some wiring schematics ...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php

To be honest, I don't understand the '73 and up schematics.

I have a 1969 bug and power goes from the battery to the #30 terminal on the light switch then to the fuse box.

MIBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

Since I am starting from a pile of wires and getting rid of a lot of the features to a stock beetle like seat belt interlink is there a reason why I would not do the same thing run the battery through terminal 30? the 74 schematic shows the same pins just leaving one of them empty.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

MIBaja wrote:
Since I am starting from a pile of wires and getting rid of a lot of the features to a stock beetle like seat belt interlink is there a reason why I would not do the same thing run the battery through terminal 30? the 74 schematic shows the same pins just leaving one of them empty.

Looks like power goes from the battery to the B+ terminal on the regulator. Then it goes to power up fuse 9. Fuse 8 and 9 both get power directly from the battery since they look to be connected. The power side of fuse 8 goes to terminal 30 on the ignition switch. The power side of fuse 9 goes to the terminal 30 on the light switch.

I thought I didn't understand the '73 and up schematics. Now I think they're just really bad. Lots of tracing and going back to the legend to see what letter means what. I suggest just working on one circuit at a time until you have it all straight. I would wire things according to the schematic and just eliminate features you don't want.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

Looks like the Non-US version doesn't show the seat belt wiring. Maybe use this as your guide.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

Ya know, I really like the old VW wiring diagrams. They provide geographical reference as well as abstract circuit function. They're much more user friendly than the more "modern" ones.

Trying to find a wire in a diagram fro my Toyota pickup or my Dodge Durango just aint too EZ.
SoCalBajas Member
MIBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Baja Build **pic heavy** Reply with quote

Dark Earth I owe you a beer or two. Made some great progress this weekend. It was really nice this weekend so pushing it out into the sun to work was a nice change from being cramped in the garage. Im not going to post pictures of the wiring until it gets completely finished and cleaned up greatly. But I did get the headlights, both standard and brights working, turn signals front and rear, and tail lights working. The turn signals only work with the key in accessory mode and not when in run when the headlights turn on, Should be able to figure it out. I need to work on the stop light wiring to the Master Cylinder. I put a new clutch cable and new accelerator cable in. I managed to break off the bolt for the accelerator cable to the carb so im going to have to work on getting that out. first few attempts failed. Here are some teaser pics of the headlights and tail lights.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: