Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cross shaft schematics?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Cross shaft schematics? Reply with quote

Are there any reliable schematics for the cross shaft for the throw-put bearing?
I bought an EMPI HD cross shaft as well as their bushing kit but my old one had a couple of tin parts as well as rubber grommets that aren't in the new kit I bought.
Are there just improvements or do I get to make another trip to the store?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross shaft schematics? Reply with quote

Main Group 1

http://oacdp.org/type1part.html#f1

Pg 1- 556.
http://oacdp.org/type1part/1175.png

Some assembly required..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross shaft schematics? Reply with quote

This is what I have... Of course now I see my bushing is really thick so that might be the rubber grommet eliminator.
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross shaft schematics? Reply with quote

I can't get this f&$@ing bushing out of the passenger side for the shaft.
Evil or Very Mad
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross shaft schematics? Reply with quote

Take a hacksaw blade and grind or break off the front end of it. Tape up the rear end for your hand to grip and use it to saw thru the top and bottom of the bushing. Use a piece of coat hanger hooked to pull out the remains.
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross shaft schematics? Reply with quote

Now to figure out how to get that spring on
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cross shaft schematics? Reply with quote

A nice big screw driver is a must for that.

Make sure each C-clip slot is flat in the bottom. Had one that the tool to cut that slot must have chipped and bottom of the slot was tapered to one side. Then it would eject the C-clip....

Also check that the TO bearing is held evenly to the input shaft side to side of the bearing just gets shoved side to side wearing out the operating shaft all too soon.
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cross shaft schematics? Reply with quote

i finally got the spring on last night only to have the C-Clip clip off on the inside of the housing so I called it quits before tools learned how to fly. Laughing
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cross shaft schematics? Reply with quote

2T2-Crash wrote:
i finally got the spring on last night only to have the C-Clip clip off on the inside of the housing so I called it quits before tools learned how to fly. Laughing

Ha! We have all been there...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cross shaft schematics? Reply with quote

Do get that hole in the brass bushing lined up with the bolt hole or possibly crush the bushing. You can use a nail in the bolt hole to feel when the hole is lined up.

Brass bushing is MUCH better than the rubber lined ones.
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cross shaft schematics? Reply with quote

Is this correct?
I have the bushing in, lined up and bolted. Then Washer, then C-Clip that keeps popping off.
Also is the throw out bearing and clutch a proper match? Should there be a gasket or anything or a little grease?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cross shaft schematics? Reply with quote

Looks OK.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cross shaft schematics? Reply with quote

No gasket needed. Apply a little grease to the pilot shaft so that the needle bearing in the gland nut gets lubed. Not too much though. Put too much on the shaft and you can hydraulically force the bearing out of the gland nut.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cross shaft schematics? Reply with quote

Time to try again. LOL
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cross shaft schematics? Reply with quote

2T2-Crash wrote:

Probably too late, but for the next guy that reads this. Don't change this bushing. The stock bushing never ever ever wears out. Clearly, the guy who came up with the kit doesn't work on VW gearboxes. Maybe that's why the spring is made wrong too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross shaft schematics? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
2T2-Crash wrote:

Probably too late, but for the next guy that reads this. Don't change this bushing. The stock bushing never ever ever wears out. Clearly, the guy who came up with the kit doesn't work on VW gearboxes. Maybe that's why the spring is made wrong too.

I said F-it and left it in, just replaced the driver's side.

Now I'm playing with the pedals to get em in. I haven't bled enough for the VW to,make it easy it seems. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: