Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To separate or not to separate, that is the question.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cowbeze15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: To separate or not to separate, that is the question. Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I am starting on my 66 bug build and I have a question for everyone. Should I separate the body from the pans if the pans are in great shape and do not need to be replaced or repaired? I know it will be easier to do the chassis work but is it really worth it? This is my first build and I am not making a show car but a daily driver.Thanks in advance
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Cowbeze15 on Fri May 27, 2016 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: To separate or not separate, that is the question. Reply with quote

IMO..
If the pans, rockers, channels and body gasket are good.... no real need to split it..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: To separate or not to separate, that is the question. Reply with quote

x2 ...no real advantage to taking the body off .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: To separate or not to separate, that is the question. Reply with quote

Don't touch it, more risk of losing and damaging stuff in your case. Also, who knows how long they will sit and it's more hassle to move stuff around

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rsthj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: To separate or not to separate, that is the question. Reply with quote

I did that on my '63 when it wasn't strictly necessary. It led to a 15 year delay in the project.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: To separate or not to separate, that is the question. Reply with quote

I would however, probably pull up the tar board or whatever is covering the pans and take a looksee under to check out the condition. I just did on my Texas purchased vehicle and found the beginnings of rust which I luckily caught in time and was able to ospho and paint before real issues started.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: To separate or not to separate, that is the question. Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I would however, probably pull up the tar board or whatever is covering the pans and take a looksee under to check out the condition.

X2.. ^

Heat from the bottom (500 watt lamp) and peel..

Its amazing what can be lurking under those pan tar boards, especially in the ribbed valleys..

I generally dont touch the material on the tunnel..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: To separate or not to separate, that is the question. Reply with quote

Even if you have to replace channels and pans, you can do that with the body on. I have done it twice.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Julio_Arcos123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: To separate or not to separate, that is the question. Reply with quote

Check to see if you have any rust up front near the napolean hat. If you do itll be easier to remove and weld on new pieces with the body off. Double check the heater channels near the back as well. It can be done with the body still on bit itll be a major pain.

Like everyone else said too, take off all the tar boards and check for ANY signs of rust. Moisture can still get in and does. You wont need to remove the body for removing the rust here if there is. Coat it with por-15 or something similar Then later on buy some sound deadning material and lay it down.

Overall looks dry so doesnt look like youll need o remove it.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: To separate or not to separate, that is the question. Reply with quote

Yes ...that would be a MAJOR BONUS (especially with a car of this age) not to have to do any body-off work. And, as someone already mentioned, it could literally shave YEARS off the time it takes to complete your project!
Cowbeze15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: To separate or not to separate, that is the question. Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your feedback and tips. I will definitely peel off the tar paper heating from the bottom 😀😀. Should I reuse them after I clean up under them? I am excited to start the project. Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: To separate or not to separate, that is the question. Reply with quote

Cowbeze15 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your feedback and tips. I will definitely peel off the tar paper heating from the bottom 😀😀. Should I reuse them after I clean up under them? I am excited to start the project. Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone.

I would be surprised if they came off in one piece to reuse. You may want to make sure you have a good scraping tool.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: To separate or not to separate, that is the question. Reply with quote

Looks great, but get new battery cables from Wolfsburg West ASAP. Those replacement battery clamps are great short term reapair for getting home, but junk for long term use. Having the extra connection between the clamp and cable allowing battery acid in there and corrosion in is not helpful. The clamps should at least be crimped on so tight as to make a gas tight connection that oxygen and acid can not get into.
The WW battery cables have brass clamps that last much longer than the lead ones and are soldered to the cables.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: