Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Race trailer
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellis' Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Race trailer Reply with quote

Hey guys, my son and I both have race cars now. His is a 63 rag, 2332 blow through turbo street car that really isn't driven much on the street. Mine is a 74 Super, 2276 NA drag only. Anyway, we have a steel trailer 16 feet long. The actual parking space is 16 feet. Obviously, both cars won't fit. His car is about 12 feet long, bumper to bumper so we need something 24 feet long I guess. We saw a trailer the other day on CL that was double decker for $3800. That seems like a lot. I'm more accustomed to 12 to 15 hundred for a used trailer.

What are your ideas for pulling two bugs with one truck? Thanks in advance
63/64 Ragtop
2006 Beck 356
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

I spent every Friday night at the Hawkeye Downs Speedway a few years ago. There was a father / son's team that used a wedge type trailer to get three Chevy Caviliers to the track and back. This trailer was the 5th wheel type of hitch.
Just an idea.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Ellis' Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

Our truck has a camper shell so fifth wheel is out, but thanks
63/64 Ragtop
2006 Beck 356
Ellis' Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

Here is the double decker we saw on CL.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/5607336165.html
63/64 Ragtop
2006 Beck 356
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

That looks nice. However, it is a steep climb to the top level. And if one of the cars is lowered, it will scrape going on top. Check ebay as well. I saw a couple there but no as cheap as the CL one.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

It will be very difficult to get a lowered car up those steep ramps and you would have to put the lightest car on top. I would not even look at it unless both axles have electric brakes. You will need a 3/4 ton or larger to tow it, a 1/2 ton won't be enough with the weight and high center of gravity with a Bug on top. $3800 is a fair price.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

If the ramp to upper deck is long enough? Load first car forward/below and then put the other on the ramp (will keep it from being as top heavy and solve the lowered car over the upper peak problem. Strap pit gear and spares on platform
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

I don't think you would get a beetle up there. If you do, we want pics. Shocked
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

http://images.lmgtfy.com/?q=two+car+hauler+trailer

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

Dale, that would be the kind for me. Look what a low angle climb for both cars to climb in place. Not top heavy, and no ramps.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

I will take a longer rig over a taller one any day.
Ellis' Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

I thought I'd use a winch to get the top car up, no way I'd try to drive it up there. I too think a longer trailer is the way to go.

We're talking about VW bugs, not station wagons. It seems like the 16 footer I have should be long enough..... but it's not.
63/64 Ragtop
2006 Beck 356
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

Have a buddy that carries 2 vw fiberglass dune buggies (Manx style) on a 20 ft (bed length) and its almost long enough....Almost...

Measure bumper to bumper length of both bugs and add together to get bed length, you want all wheels firmly on bed... Think dual axle and brakes and 4 strap tie downs (2 inch 2,500 working, 10,000 burst ratchet straps) for each bug (one on each corner of bug), and tie down points on trailer (funny thing when I bought my CC it had no provisions for tiedowns)...

Tie downs may not seem important, but on one trip home home from auto-x event I was cut off twice at speed (55mph) and no excape route, only choice was full antilock brakes on pickup and full lockup of trailer brakes all I could think of was "sure hope buggy stays on trailer and does not end up in pickup bed".. And yes it was inches we misses hitting the asses, not feet...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

I think our tripple stacker was over $75000 so.....thats not a bad price if the cars will go on it....
Ellis' Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

Yeah, we taking tying down the bug very seriously. We have more than one truck but we want to ride together and enjoy the travel experience, plus parking more than one trailer at home is a problem.
63/64 Ragtop
2006 Beck 356
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

Drive that just one time loaded with both bugs, and my educated guess is that you NEVER do it again. It will be a stressfull ride every minute of your trip. Having top heavy weight on a standard hitch is a scary @ss ride. Even if its only a 1700lb bug on top, the low pivot point of the standard hitch makes every turn having the trailer wanting to tip over.
Having towed zillion different variaties of things, my answer as a friend is dont do it!

If you must take two cars, use a long enough trailer to fit both.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ellis' Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

That sounds like good advice. I'll look for a 24 footer and keep both bugs close to the ground. I can sell my current trailer to offset some of the cost.
63/64 Ragtop
2006 Beck 356
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is what I see a lot of these days. A Freightliner cab motor home (ToterHome) with a stacker trailer.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Ellis' Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

I'll be retiring very soon and we'll be buying a 30 to 40 foot motor home, probably low millage used. The rig in those pictures costs more than my home but it sure would be sweet.

A guy can dream.
63/64 Ragtop
2006 Beck 356
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Race trailer Reply with quote

bugs arent real heavy,Ive seen many heavy cars on trailers like that...the towing vehicle and equip also makes a big difference.as does the driver/'s
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: