Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installed kaddys, now I am too hot!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cribbs74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Installed kaddys, now I am too hot! Reply with quote

Like the title says, after I installed the Kaddies I am experiencing cooling issues.

Engine is a stock 1600dp installed in a 1966 Bug. Currently temps in OKC are mid 80's and the engine is already warmer then I like. When temps go up I may be hosed. It's my daily driver.

Basically the dipstick is very hot after a good run. While I can grab it I would rather let it go.

I have all the tins, timing set at 7.5 degrees BTDC. Valves adjusted, points at .016" carbs synced and seem to work very well. I love the extra power!

My decklid is not vented, but I do the tennis ball thing.

What else can I do to keep this thing cool?

Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed kaddys, now I am too hot! Reply with quote

If it ran cool before the swap, I would think it may be a lean issue. Or the (I assume Pict 3-4l that was on there before was running pig rich cooling the heads with raw fuel. Pull a plug and see what t looks like. Or if you have access to a sniffer, that's even better.
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed kaddys, now I am too hot! Reply with quote

I think you want to set your timing at full advance, not at idle. This timing difference can affect the heat a bunch.
Cribbs74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Installed kaddys, now I am too hot! Reply with quote

I had the problem all last year, I was able to tame it down after I propped the deck lid. I assumed at the time it was a 1600 in a non vented lid issue. I also sealed off every hole in the fan housing and re-did the foam on the oil cooler and installed a hoover bit where there was none before.

The new carbs have been on for about 5 days, I'll pull a plug and look. My full advance timing is erratic at best. I think it's in the 30-35 range. I could back it off some. I went the 7.5 route because I couldn't get a solid reading at full advance.

I should mention that I installed a merged header type exhaust and it really heats things up,

Perhaps I have a vacuum leak? That would lean things up...

Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep plugging away at it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Installed kaddys, now I am too hot! Reply with quote

I can pretty well bet that your mains will be unmarked.

I needed 140 mains on my 1600 DP in order for it to not run too lean when driving at 65-70 mph and 2800-3100 rpm.

Get a set of cheap drills from here.....

https://www.widgetsupply.com/product/BBL50.html

While not technically jet drills you can at least get an idea of what size jets you are running.
Don't trust the jets you buy either. I have had brand new jets marked 140 and they measured out at 170......... Rolling Eyes

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Installed kaddys, now I am too hot! Reply with quote

How do you know it's "too hot" with no temp gauges installed. An oil temp at minimum or cylinder head temp at best, or even a meat thermometer in the dipstick hole....I guess Goldilocks has nothing on you.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Installed kaddys, now I am too hot! Reply with quote

What's "too lean" at highway speeds? Too lean, and it won't run. The head temps get cooler as you lean out your idles. The temps are hotter with richer idles.

I say remove your distributor and check that you have that spring in your drive. That could cause your timing to be erratic. Then, set your total timing at 28-30 max. Let the timing at idle fall where it may.
volksnhousin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Installed kaddys, now I am too hot! Reply with quote

Back off the timing some: high 20’s to low 30’s BTDC range for full advance. If you are setting timing at idle set it in the 3 to 5 BTDC range instead of 7.5 and see how it does: The only timing number that really matters that should be the most accurate is your full advance number: It affects temperature most.
Quote:
I should mention that I installed a merged header type exhaust and it really heats things up,
Does it have some kind of muffler on it? If it is a stinger or a very free flowing muffler it can cause things to run more lean and you may need to richen things up with carb jets to make it work with the free flowing exhaust. The "back woods" "none gauge" type way to check this is by looking at the spark plugs after a long run and seeing if things look rich or lean. Black = rich cold, brown = about right, white = lean hot.

You may still be having air intake problems: You got the stock 1600 setup to work with the tennis ball prop (you said it got too hot with out the tennis ball with the stock 1600) and now it is over heating again after you put the dual carbs on… The bigger carbs may be stealing away more of the cooling air that goes to the fan. The fix for this would be to figure out some other way to get more air into the engine compartment... Or go back to the stock carb. Anxious

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Installed kaddys, now I am too hot! Reply with quote

You are either too lean from jetting or an air leak. Any good tuner knows this. As far as your timing scatter at max advance, your disributers bushings are probably worn causing the shaft to flop around.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Cribbs74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed kaddys, now I am too hot! Reply with quote

Ok,

So, you shamed me to take a proper temp reading, took the car for a spirited jaunt and used the infrared gun on the heads cyl 3/4 temp was 230 degrees and interestingly enough cyl 1/2 was 199. Ambient air temp is 80 degrees today.

Neither of those are too hot, but getting close. I was using the dipstick method as a quick down and dirty "goldilocks" check as I knew what it felt like when running the pict-3.

Multi, never confessed to being a good tuner, which is why I was seeking help. I will say your advice has weight as an air leak would likely cause the difference in head temps. My distributor is new, but it's something to keep in mind if I can't get the timing to settle down. New parts don't mean good parts.

Thanks to everyone, sorry if my newbness is annoying, I'm new to air cooled eccentricities.

Ron
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed kaddys, now I am too hot! Reply with quote

cribs, comment wasn't meant for you.
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed kaddys, now I am too hot! Reply with quote

The head temps are low for a spirited drive. Oil temps near 215 would be right at nearing the keep an eye on it area. I have driven my 67 while the oil temps were hovering near 225-230 on a much cooler day that what you describe. The tennis ball trick will help with keeping temps in check.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed kaddys, now I am too hot! Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
The head temps are low for a spirited drive. Oil temps near 215 would be right at nearing the keep an eye on it area. I have driven my 67 while the oil temps were hovering near 225-230 on a much cooler day that what you describe. The tennis ball trick will help with keeping temps in check.
Good Luck.

Wow, with those limits, I might never drive my car. I would consider 230 about normal on a warm/hot day. And depending upon how fast or hard I am pushing the motor, 260 wouldn't be out of the question.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed kaddys, now I am too hot! Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Good Luck.

Yeah, those numbers are on the low side. However, unless you have calibrated your gauge with boiling water, they mean nothing. With a calibrated gauge, I like to run around 220, but at 260, I am eyeballing things closely.
My builds
Cribbs74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed kaddys, now I am too hot! Reply with quote

Problem solved!

It was an air leak, on the drivers side carb. Took it back out and temps were 225-230 on both heads, 188 oil temp. It idles much smoother as well. I also adjusted timing to 30-32 full advance which puts me at 4 degrees BTDC at idle.

Thanks to everyone!

Ron
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: