Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 Notchback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

the arm rests can be covered with 4 way stretch vinyl from your local upholstery shop.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/CDNBullyboy/SQUARE/IMG_1233.jpg

mine came with an elbow hole and a couple cracks, filled it with gorilla glue and sanded smooth then wrapped with vinyl

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

I didn't see any armrests in that photobucket pics but I'm not good at navigating the site. I actually found two like new armrests but they're $145 a piece. Plus I just went ahead and ordered the TMI panels without the z armrests. I figured it would be near impossible to find the rear armrests and the plastic trim that goes on the top and bottom of each panel. Thanks for the info on repairing them though. Appreciate it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

The original color of the car was birch green. Does that color still take the grey armrests? I can't tell in the tech section paint codes or pics if they are grey or black.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

All 1963 models would have grey arm rests.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

Eric posted a photo on page 1 but here's another photo of what the original '63 door panels and grey arm rests look like:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

Those look awesome. Unfortunately I was finding a hard time finding the rear armrests and the two pieces of plastic top and bottom trim to go on the panels so I ordered the non euro panels from TMI. I wish I could have stuck with the stock euro look but those items were becoming impossible to find. I have one of the original panels front and rear but they are beyond repair and there are no armrests to go with them. Although I do have the right and left original "Z" armrests but they are hammered and rusty. I won't be tossing them out but I may be up for selling them. I found NOS ones online but thy wanted $145 each and I'd still be short the rears and trim pieces.
Thank you everyone for pics and info.

Jim
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

soupcups wrote:
Those look awesome. Unfortunately I was finding a hard time finding the rear armrests and the two pieces of plastic top and bottom trim to go on the panels so I ordered the non euro panels from TMI. I wish I could have stuck with the stock euro look but those items were becoming impossible to find. I have one of the original panels front and rear but they are beyond repair and there are no armrests to go with them. Although I do have the right and left original "Z" armrests but they are hammered and rusty. I won't be tossing them out but I may be up for selling them. I found NOS ones online but thy wanted $145 each and I'd still be short the rears and trim pieces.
Thank you everyone for pics and info.

Jim

Patience is the name of the game in early Type 3 restoration...if you're in a hurry, you're going to get frustrated real quick.

Whatever you do, don't throw anything away...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

soupcups wrote:
I found NOS ones online but thy wanted $145 each and I'd still be short the rears and trim pieces

$145 doesn't seem like a bad price.
I think I paid $100 for the one I needed for my car and that was 10 years ago(!)
Of course to get all the pieces you need could get expensive really fast.

As ataraxia said though, be patient and keep an eye out and you can find everything you need over time and usually for good prices.

I was curious on the door trim prices so here's some ads:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1911266
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1854681
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1813996

Damn... that seems CRAZY to me for those, especially since the early padded ones are damaged.

I also see a couple recently deleted ads for:
One front door piece, NOS, for $50
A full 64-65 Notchback set (would work on a '63 too) for about $140 shipped
Those ads and parts sound fair to me, probably why they are sold. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

Wow. I'm constantly looking on here for those and I came up with like one. What did you search for ? Everytime I try to be specific it says no ads found. I would have easily paid 210 for those that were in great shape a pair. Oh well. The rears seem to be impossible to find.

Thanks Everett
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

$210 shipped for a pair is a high price. I used to buy them out of Germany and sell them for less than half that price. I bought three complete Variant sets for $650 (all six pieces). Not hard to find - but you have to be patient.

Searching by part number turns up results as well...
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

Can you still get them from Germany?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

soupcups wrote:
Wow. I'm constantly looking on here for those and I came up with like one. What did you search for ? Everytime I try to be specific it says no ads found. I would have easily paid 210 for those that were in great shape a pair. Oh well. The rears seem to be impossible to find.

The $210 ones are still for sale. Smile I think that's too much too.

I searched on door trim in the Type 3 parts section
door trim* with the star would be an even better search, in case of plurals
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

Ok thanks Everett. Now I've searched all over and many different words but I cannot find the info I need. I've found some bumpers for sale for a type 3 and the seller does not know the year or model. Sorry if this is posted somewhere but all I can find is whether newer bumpers will fit on earlier models. If anyone can tell me what these are off of or year of them I would appreciate it. Again sorry if this is posted somewhere but I cannot find it. I believe both are front but are the front and rear the same on an early type 3 Notch, 1963?

Thank You.
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

Better hurry up Jimmy, I've been talking to that guy and might pick up those bumpers this weekend. I need the rear bumper in the picture.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

soupcups wrote:
Can you still get them from Germany?

My existing sources dried up after several purchases but I occasionally find other sources. I've stopped buying and reselling parts but if I come across anything, I'll PM you.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

soupcups wrote:
Ok thanks Everett. Now I've searched all over and many different words but I cannot find the info I need. I've found some bumpers for sale for a type 3 and the seller does not know the year or model. Sorry if this is posted somewhere but all I can find is whether newer bumpers will fit on earlier models. If anyone can tell me what these are off of or year of them I would appreciate it. Again sorry if this is posted somewhere but I cannot find it. I believe both are front but are the front and rear the same on an early type 3 Notch, 1963?

Thank You.

No - front and rear are different physical shapes. The year is stamped on the bumper - usually on the underside edge in the middle. Earlier bumpers don't have the extra holes for back up lights.
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

Ok so these are both either front or back. Can you tell by the picture whether they're front or back or is there a part number on them. What years are interchangeable ? So if these have the extra holes they are rears ?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

They look to be front bumpers, because they have a lot of arc whereas rear bumpers are relatively straight. The thinner bumper in the rear looks like a Beetle bumper?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

soupcups wrote:
Ok so these are both either front or back. Can you tell by the picture whether they're front or back or is there a part number on them. What years are interchangeable ? So if these have the extra holes they are rears ?

The bottom one is definitely a Type 3 bumper - the one on the top could be Type 3 if it's on the ground upside down.

The bumpers were essentially the same shape from start to 69, although there are some differences throughout the range (no back up lights, holes drilled for over rider accessory kits, different number of mounting holes, etc.)

If you're not too specific, the easiest to find are usually 'universal' in application to the early body style cars (up to 69) as long as you have the correct brackets.

If I remember, I'll take a photo of the two bumpers I have at home that aren't mounted so you can see the difference between front and rear.
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
soupcups wrote:

Thank You.

No - front and rear are different physical shapes. The year is stamped on the bumper - usually on the underside edge in the middle. Earlier bumpers don't have the extra holes for back up lights.

Those are both front bumpers. You can tell by the mounting holes for the brackets.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: