Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chrome EMPI
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
twigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

Bought some chromed 5 spoke EMPI rims last year at the end of April. Sat in my shop for a month and a half before I put tires on them. Drove the car until the end of October then parked it....in a dry shop with a car cover on it. The car is the wife's pride n joy and maybe got 800miles on it with the new bling. Beginning of May I go to roll out the car and notice the rims are completely ruined. The outsides are pitted and the insides of the rim looks like someone sandblasted them. All 4 ruined. The car gets washed by hand, towelled dry and any hard to get spots get blown with compressed air. It's driven on nice days only. Anyone else had this issue?
On the "that's what you get" side, the company I bought them from has and won't do anything for me except sell me some new rims at his cost (so he says)
And our repeated attempts to the EMPI office and sales reps have have resulted in nothing but a run around. No return calls or "he's out for lunch right now".
Nice customer service.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

I'm surprised you got a year out of them. Cheap chrome parts typically don't last a month in the humidity we have here. Wink

Maybe you can have them powder coated? There are some nice silver colors available now.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

You say chromed and 5 spokes, are these chrome plated aluminum? so they aren't rusting the aluminum is corroding under the chrome plating?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion... Chrome plated aluminum.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

That's what I figured. I would not buy any aluminum wheel that is plated. If not done correctly they will peel and prematurely pit the aluminum. always buy fully polished then have plated by a good shop. The costs will be higher but a better lasting chrome job. If you're wheels have developed a white powder under the chrome they are garbage, not worth trying to rechrome now, if just peeling you could have them replated by a good shop if you want to spend that much
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

Ya. It's just a let down that there hasn't been any return call from EMPI and the fact that the retailer I bought them off of pretty much wiped his hands of the situation. When I asked what he would be willing to do for compensation, he says he'll sell me some new rims. I would think that he would have more leverage with the sales rep. But he then tells me "well I'm not going to loose any money over this" it rather pissed me off. Have spent thousands at his shop in the past. Time to find a new go to guy I guess.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

The big 3 can't even get chrome wheels to last longer than a few years before they start peeling and pitting especially if they have sharp edges anywhere. Chrome does not stick on an edge. I don't know how many times I cut myself on peeling chrome wheels doing tires. And, Empi isn't the only aftermarket company to have piss poor quality chrome wheels most of them do.

brad
twigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

Still a piss off no matter how ya look at it. Now I'm second guessing the next set that il buy....how long before they shit the bed? I should have sent them back right from the start, one rim (that I did send back and got replaced) had such rough cuts from the lathe that I just couldn't stand to look at it if put on the car. I settled for the other 3. Mr Nice Guy won't be as easy to please next time.....if there is a next time.
And I also want to say thanks. Nobody has said anything like "what'd ya expect from EMPI". LOL
I'm sure it's coming.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

I had a set of the American eagle's chromed around 94. They are still nice. My buddy also got a set at the same time. His went bad quick. There was a cat that kept pissing on them, attacked the chrome.
I personally like polished now. Bust out the semi chrome and look brand new.

Not trying to be a dick but why would you expect the vendor to loose money on them? If he did that he won't be a vendor very long.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

the epa has put a lot of regulations chrome and paint shops since 1994. Did you buy them chromed or have them chromed in the us? I'm sure china chrome has lots of rules as well so the plating isn't near as good as anything in the past. same with paint. How many new cars painted now are you going to be able to polish them out in 50 years and say look at that original paint. none unless they are garaged kept and never seen rain, sun or heat.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

Mine were done here. Started as black ones, polished then chromed.
twigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

I didn't and wouldn't expect the vendor to lose money. I would expect him to exchange them for new ones and give them back to the rep and say "hey. There is something wrong with these". Just like he did with the first one that was flawed right out of the box.

They were bought chromed.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

They would see them if they are as bad as you say and make him pay. Once a tire is mounted, good luck trying to return them. Post a pic.
twigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

I am unable to post pics on the forum...but have sent pics via email to the vendor. Going on over a month now of empi not returning calls or "he's out of the office now, can I take a message" BS
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

FWIW, I was at So Cal Imports today and the guy there said they are not going to sell Empi wheels anymore. Said they never had any issues with quality. The chrome looked really good to me, thick, not flash chromed. The issue is they send them with caps and things missing. He said they wont send the missing parts, have to buy. They move $100000 worth a year and they still wont send what's missing. Good luck having the wheels replaced.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

And now that they have Bugpack out of the way, I wouldn't count on EMPI getting any better. I'll support my local vendor and if EMPI is all that they have for what I need, so be it, but I won't go out of my way to buy EMPI.
twigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

I've washed my hands of it all.........now the wife is on the rampage!!!
We may not get any kind of compensation or warranty or what ever. But I know this, she'll be using a few words that probably aren't heard very often.
LOL
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

Good for her, I hope she gets some enjoyment out of it.
twigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

Update. The wife has used every word that should never come out of a ladies mouth after getting nowhere with EMPI. In the mean time, I've gone and ordered some polished 5spokes from cip1.ca. With a little elbow grease they have shined up very well. Went to mount them on the car (62 beetle) and the centre of the rim is not machined big enough to fit over the "nipple" of the drums. The machine shops aren't open for another couple days. Has anyone else come across this? Is there enough meat on the rims to have them opened up to fit? Should I just get out of the VW game and buy a Chevy?
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome EMPI Reply with quote

twigman wrote:
Update. The wife has used every word that should never come out of a ladies mouth after getting nowhere with EMPI. In the mean time, I've gone and ordered some polished 5spokes from cip1.ca. With a little elbow grease they have shined up very well. Went to mount them on the car (62 beetle) and the centre of the rim is not machined big enough to fit over the "nipple" of the drums. The machine shops aren't open for another couple days. Has anyone else come across this? Is there enough meat on the rims to have them opened up to fit? Should I just get out of the VW game and buy a Chevy?

Yeah, I have an old set of polished 5s on my rag. The original german bearing covers are to long, and will hit on the center caps. If you find some aftermarket bearing covers they are shallower, allowing the caps to fit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: