Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Velocity stacks and filter heights
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

So, currently my IDF's have 2.25" velocity stacks with 3.25" airfilters. Leaving only 1" between them and the lid. I know the underside of the lid is getting "washed" by fuel, because last year when I first got the car back on the road I had plasti-dipped the chrome bases and lids black cause they looked better. I had also coated the insides of them to cover all the chrome edges better. After driving some, when I removed the lids for some reason, the undersides were clean.
Today I went to local VW part shop to ask what was tallest filter I could fit under my deck lid w/o standoffs, nobody had an answer. I was pretty sure that 6" filters would be a no go. So, tonight I made a 1.75" cardboard spacer to see if that and my 3.5" filters would fit, the cardboard was a bit more than the 1.75" and it seems that a measured filter height of 5.25" will just fit on 1/2 side and the same will easily clear on 3/4 side to deck lid(and even clear my engine harness connection above carb on that side).

What kind (if any) benefits can I expect with the added room above the stacks? I know the air will have a better entry into the stack opening, and this will translate to what? Better cylinder filling, better throttle response?? Just looking for a better understanding of what makes a carb tick and how to optimize what I have.

One of the resources that the parts shop called and asked what a good minimum distance between top of stack and lid said that 2" was his min distance and 6" was even better(I think the latter was partially in jest). And based on what buggies and baja's can get away with.

Last edited by ps2375 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

In a perfect world we like to have the venturi diameter as space between the stack and the filter top. In real life that is rarely happening, because when comes down to it the intake length has more influence on the power than the perfect free space over the stack. The reason is that most stacks are, at least to some extend, shaped for good air pick up around the outer perifer. That extra mouth width can make up for a good deal of free height.. Of course the more power the engine makes and thereby the more air it needs, the more important the free space gets. also, the higher rpm the more important the free space gets.
If you have say a 2275 with 44 IDF´s that has 36 mm venturies, 58 mm stacks and 27 mm free space over the stacks, it will still pull 170 - 175 hp with out problems. But you might notice that it may have a little more power over the curve if you remove the filter top.
If that same engine is on the edge, meaning 38 mm venturies, hot cam´n compression etc etc, you will definitely get an advantage by having the venturi diameter as free space over the stacks.

The 6" filters that you see around is not necessary as such. The advantage is that on baja´s etc you slow down the incoming air through the filter so that the filter has a higher chance of parting sand and air. also, some baja´s runs with some very long stacks to try improve torque. Then they of course need high filters too. If we look at it from a flow perspective, one 6" filter will flow enough for at least 210 hp and there is usually 2 filters on a dual carbed engine Wink

Hope this makes sense to you.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

Woops!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

Mine is only a 2087, but does have 36 vents and I would love for it to make 170-175hp, but I'm guessing it is far below that. So, from what you have said, I most likely won't see any gains from adding free space over the stacks, but I think I will proceed with my plan as it won't hurt anything.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

top shape can give good results too not just adding more space but using some direction of the incoming charge.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

As far as airflow is concerned 1" is probably ok
As far as the carburetor signal is concerned, 1.5 min
For containing reversion fog, 2" is needed

So why do they make tall stacks at all?
The fog hits the lid and goes out the sides of the filter, getting it wet and wasting fuel too. This will give you some strange AFR results.

Gauze filters will stand this but if you want to have air filters that clean the dust out of the air They won't stand it, then you will need 2"+ clearance.
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

Switched from K&N E3341 to HA0800 and the engine fell better in upper range. Small A/F ratio change too.

E3341 are a little thinner than what we find in empi and CB packages.

https://www.facebook.com/vince.panelvan/media_set?...amp;type=3

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

Looks like there is nothing to lose and can only gain, if there will be changes.
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

vince1 wrote:
Switched from K&N E3341 to HA0800 and the engine fell better in upper range. Small A/F ratio change too.

E3341 are a little thinner than what we find in empi and CB packages.

https://www.facebook.com/vince.panelvan/media_set?...amp;type=3

do the HA-0800 fit under the deck lid on a type 1?
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

theDrew wrote:
do the HA-0800 fit under the deck lid on a type 1?

On my car with the manifolds I have, yes, they will fit as those are 4.65" tall and it looks like I can get a 5-5.25" filter to fit under my deck lid. At the 5.25" height, it will be VERY close on the pass side with plenty of room on the drivers side.

For $30 total and some minor fab work, I'll have 5.25" of filter, so, some additional room above the stacks will be had by adding the 1.75" filters to mine.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

Here's where I'm starting from, about 1-1.25" from top of stack to the lid.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's how it'll happen.

I took some extra tops and bottoms I had, tacked them together and had a friend weld the seam.

Then I cut and ground on them till they looked like this:

So that my new 1.75" filters fit like so:

To allow my existing filter to sit as such:

After powder coating and install, I should have close to 3" from top of stack to the lid.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

I wood add some small tangs so the filter's cant warp inward any in the center portions(slide in the housings inward) I do like your idea. I wood add a inverted conewith flair where it meets/connects to the tops.(welded to be one peice) to help the incoming charge be directed for better flow.... of corse if you had a flow bench you could test all kinda shapes to find what works best than....have them injection molded or cast & sell the crap out of them!!!
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I wood add some small tangs so the filter's cant warp inward any in the center portions(slide in the housings inward) I do like your idea. I wood add a inverted conewith flair where it meets/connects to the tops.(welded to be one peice) to help the incoming charge be directed for better flow.... of corse if you had a flow bench you could test all kinda shapes to find what works best than....have them injection molded or cast & sell the crap out of them!!!

AS for the tangs to keep the filters from moving/sliding inward, one side of the lip has a small rib that I suppose will help prevent that, but the new short filters won't do that cause they are new and flexible and naturally want to stay round and the older ones are molded to to be oval and won't do to any other shape.

I wish I had access to a flow bench( and a motor/chassis dyno also), I would have used it many times! The cone thing seems like a decent idea, tests on either previously mentioned devices would be many and interesting. The flow assist device will be something to think about and consider, I could screw it to the lid to make it removable and maybe do some butt dyno testing and if I ever get a new sensor for my WB, some checks with that.
Frankysfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

Is there a big disadvantage to only running filters without velocity stacks? When i got mine it had 40 IDF's with no stacks, only filters. I understand the reason to run the stacks just wondering if it will lose a significant amount of power or tq by not running them or will it be slight. Are there any dyno sheets to show the power difference?

"You can't know where your going until you know where you've been"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

I haven't seen any dyno comparisons, but the stack or any stack will aid the directional control of the air going into the carb, reducing the turbulence in the carb throat and improving the "vacuum signal" at the venturies and make tuning more consistent. At least that is what I have found in the reading I have been able to find in various forums and articles. But, it is all on the internet, so who knows. There is mention of some tests on kads w/ and w/o stacks in various threads, and w/ stacks was better.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
Here's where I'm starting from, about 1-1.25" from top of stack to the lid.

Sooo, I've been trying to follow along and understand, but I get sidetracked easily..

This is what mine look like right now. Would having this little amount of clearance be the reason I'm having such a bitch of a time jetting my carbs? I get really close, but never quite "right"

Right now, it runs strong, but cruising anywhere from 3000-3500 rpms it pops occssionally, is this due to lack of air because of the height restriction?

IIRC I'm running 1.15 Main's, which is what I've always ran, should I ditch the velocity stacks or bump up my mains?

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

Maybe you could shorten the stacks ?
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

With my current config, the motor runs well and I don't notice any problems, I just know that the stand-off fog washed the plasti-dip off the undersides of the lids. From what I gather, the extra room won't fix a tuning issue, but might help with consistency of jetting and could effect the tune a little.
cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

Interesting thread,do running stacks reduce induction roar?
My motor roars a bit and it does get annoying on long trips.

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

cliveawn wrote:
Interesting thread,do running stacks reduce induction roar?
My motor roars a bit and it does get annoying on long trips.

No. BTW, that is music, not noise. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: