Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 bug front shimmy/shake
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r19rcv20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: 1966 bug front shimmy/shake Reply with quote

Hey everyone!
So another problem. At around 40-45 mph the front starts to shimmy and i feel it in my legs and in the steering wheel. But after 50 it goes away. And in some occasions depending on the road it wont do it all. I have looked at other posts and i hear either the steering dampner or tie rods. Now my steering gear box is brand new. Any other suggestions??
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bug front shimmy/shake Reply with quote

Basics.. To eliminate shimmy.

Steering parts (steering box, tie rods and ball joints) must be in good condition
Steering Damper must be in good condition.
TIRES must be balanced and in good condition.
Alignment must be correct both front and rear.

Never ever rule out tire problems and balance. AFTER checking and repairing the steering and alignment.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503595
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bug front shimmy/shake Reply with quote

Yup, you should not have any shimmy even with NO steering damper.

The damper is to cushion road shocks, not to control shimmy. If it shimmies without the damper, you will just wear out the new damper. If you don't first eliminate the cause of the shimmy.

With a speed-related effect, suspect tires first. They could be out of balance, or maybe balanced but out of round. Then look for any looseness anywhere.
r19rcv20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bug front shimmy/shake Reply with quote

So it has gotten significantly worse to the point at 30 mph i hit a small small bump i start to shake so i am pretty sure it is my rims. Last time i checked underneath i just did a quick look to see if anything is loose and nothing is.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bug front shimmy/shake Reply with quote

Tedious, but try swapping each tire for your spare, and note when it changes... that is the worst wheel. Could be more than one!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bug front shimmy/shake Reply with quote

If its fine until you hit a bump.. its generally not tires or wheel..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bug front shimmy/shake Reply with quote

[quote="r19rcv20"]So it has gotten significantly worse to the point at 30 mph i hit a small small bump i start to shake so i am pretty sure it is my rims. Last time i checked underneath i just did a quick look to see if anything is loose and nothing is.[/quote]
You have to check the condition of all of the steering components. Something is worn out.
Jack the front of the car up. Put jack stands under the lower beam for stability. With the tires on grab them at the 12-6 o'clock position and rock them. Next 9-3 o'clock and do the same. Next 10-4 o'clock. Listen for and metallic sounds. Feel for movement that should not take place when everything is in good working order.
I have been guilty of just replacing the steering damper to cure(mask) these worn parts issue Embarassed I didn't know better at the time. I even posted this in another thread. I got slayed for suggesting it.
FWIW, I have a steering component that is failing. I can hear it just haven't located it yet.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
r19rcv20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bug front shimmy/shake Reply with quote

so I should reword what I said earlier. so pretty much when i a driving at a speed around 30 it will start to shake. and that is when it is usually the worst. when i pick up speed it will start to shake but not as bad. the only time is does not shake is when i am driving on the highway. and when i do brake it will stop
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bug front shimmy/shake Reply with quote

r19rcv20 wrote:
so I should reword what I said earlier. so pretty much when i a driving at a speed around 30 it will start to shake. and that is when it is usually the worst. when i pick up speed it will start to shake but not as bad. the only time is does not shake is when i am driving on the highway. and when i do brake it will stop

Are your wheel bearings in good shape, and adjusted properly?
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bug front shimmy/shake Reply with quote

Tie rod ends are worn. Check all of your steering parts. If it is bad as you say you will see movement in your steering components
Blue66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bug front shimmy/shake Reply with quote

I had the same exact thing on my 66 (45-50 mph shimmy).It was my tie rod. Once replaced the problem went away. Raise the front end and give the wheel a shake, if it wobbles then this may be your issue. Make sure you support the car on stands.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bug front shimmy/shake Reply with quote

Since its getting worse stop driving until you fix it. Would suck to have a catastrophic failure like a tie rod or ball joint some apart at 60 MPH. But I have heard the you can pop the big dent out of the roof pretty easily when you roll the car over. Shocked I am freaking serious though. Park it until you fix it.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: