Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neili
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

Hey All,

A year ago I had to sell my Java Green 67 to finish the restoring my cottage. It was super sad to see that car go, I think my attachment to it was probably getting out of hand anyway (according to my girlfriend) so maybe it was for the best.

I started looking casually again around 6 months ago and wanted a pre 67 wide 5 ragtop but realised funds would just not allow it so just kept looking incase anything popped up and I saw this white Swedish 67. There was something about it I really like. Its all original and has some nice features like the petrol heater and all the original tyre pressure, valve clearance and service stickers. The paint has been blown over here and there and its wearing through to primmer in places.

The inside is a bit worn and has a home made carpet but again, all original and nothing major.

When I started cleaning it yesterday I realised that it will look much better after a deep clean.

Anyway, I wanted to keep a record of what I do and thought others might be interested so I am going to post it all on this thread.

So here are some pics

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

neili
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

I have had these original Sprintstars for a while now and thinking about putting these on and dropping it down a bit, apart from that keeping everything else totally original starting with a new carpet and tidying it all up.

Where does the best quality original carpet sets? It still has he original behind the rear seats and looks like a tan basket weave.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

I like it! You do realize that your steering wheel is on the incorrect side Shocked.
TMI makes good carpet kits. I don't know if they have a distributor in your country. But that should not be a problem with the internet.
Have a great weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
neili
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

Better for scaring passengers😃 I have an Austrian bus as well so used to it!

Sweden was weird back then:

Sweden had left-hand traffic (Vänstertrafik in Swedish) from approximately 1736 and continued to do so until 1967. Despite this virtually all cars in Sweden were actually left-hand drive and the neighbouring Nordic countries already drove on the right, leading to mistakes by visitors. The Swedish voters rejected a change to driving on the right in a referendum held in 1955.
neili
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

Ordered and narrowed beam Very Happy

I love the stance of this beetle so thats what I am aiming for. Everything i do i want to be reversible so ill be carefully wrapping what comes off and putting it safely into storage

WooleyNelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

since you are in Great Britain, consider Newton Commercial for carpet.
they may be a bit more expensive, but the quality is worth it.
neili
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

Finally started work on the 67 and so far so good .. got all the front stripped down and all was well and solid. Just needs a good clean up.

Sad to say that the beam was not in such good shape. I wanted to keep everything so it could be turned back to stock but I am not sure its worth keeping the beam .. its pretty shot!

Good job the shiny new one is going on Smile

Got as far as I can without parts now but going to clean everything and paint the tank whilst its all out

New parts needed are going to be the following

Steering doughnut (this was rock solid)
Steering damper (this was leaking)
Lower pressure brake line
in and outter track rod ball joints
dropped spindals

The brakes were all in really good shape

All in all not a super bad list
neili
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

I am a few hours from getting the old girl back on the ground Very Happy

Anyone who a way to set the camber and tracking roughly before I take it to a place with the gauges to set it up accurately?
neili
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

Another question ..

I have gone o re-fit the discs and the inner bearing is to small. I read somewhere that when fitting dropped spindles to a 67 1500 with discs the inner bearing has to be changed to a post 68

Has anyone else had this issue? I am going back to the place i got the spindles but when I bought them they said the bearings would be ok so I am not massively confident on their info ..
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

neili wrote:
Another question ..

I have gone o re-fit the discs and the inner bearing is to small. I read somewhere that when fitting dropped spindles to a 67 1500 with discs the inner bearing has to be changed to a post 68

Has anyone else had this issue? I am going back to the place i got the spindles but when I bought them they said the bearings would be ok so I am not massively confident on their info ..

That;s what I have read here a few times. The 68 1/2 and up inner bearing is what's needed to complete the disc brake install.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
neili
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

Yup .. 68 > inner bearings did the trick ..

Its finally on the ground but sitting a bit to low now .. need to do all the beam, steering adjustments and get the freshly painted tank back in before starting on the back Smile

[/img]
neili
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

Things left to do on the front ..

Adjust Beam
Adjust bump stop height
Camber
Tracking
Set steering stop

Anyone who has fitted a 4" narrowed beam before got any tips for any of the above?
neili
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

Managed to get a bit of work done to the bug in the last few days ..

Tank put back in and under bonnet cleaned up .. just got to put the heater back together.

Got the rear back down on the ground

Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

in the first pictures you can see the factory wax pencil markings in the trunk with the M-codes Very Happy
neili
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

So I need to change a rear hub seal and the brake shoes as they have been contaminated.

Does anyone know if a EU 67 has 30mm or 40mm brake shoes?
neili
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
in the first pictures you can see the factory wax pencil markings in the trunk with the M-codes Very Happy

I wondered what that was .. I wish I'd not cleaned them off now!
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

neili wrote:
Slow 1200 wrote:

I wondered what that was .. I wish I'd not cleaned them off now!

for some reason 67s seem to have it more than other years, if you have pictures where you can see them clearly at least you can check them with the M-code list
neili
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

Anyone got any ideas about the EU 67 rear brake shoes ??

I would measure them but the car is not at my home.

EU 67's have 4 bolt hubs and when I go to buy them its saying >67 have 30mm rear shoes and 68> 40mm shoes

So do EU 67's have 30mm shoes on 4 bolt hubs?

If anyone know's it would be super helpful
cbdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

Hi, car is looking really good - you are certainly cracking with it!

Not sure about your brake shoes, I have a 58 Aussie import and I found the easiest way to check was to measure the width of the existing shoe. Don't just measure the drum as my drums are 40mm and the shoes are 30mm, so whip a drum off.

Good luck with the rest of the build!
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: New Rolling Project - Swedish 67 Beetle Reply with quote

they should be 30mm but they might have been swapped since the 68 and later parts are easier to find and stop better
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: