Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding my motor
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Can I make a suggestion at this point? Take the ones you have and lay them on a new piece of 2000 grit sandpaper on a piece of glass and run them around a few times. Wipe them carefully and look at them closely. One or more may be wavy or uneven. You can't get an accurate read on a cupped, wavy, damaged, or bent shim.

It is also very hard to get an accurate endplay read on a new motor when the distributor drive gear is in. If you pull it don't lose the shim under it or you will have to split the case again. You can try turning the flywheel a little as you push and pull to see if that changes things because it will let the drive gear turn on the brass gear. However you will also be reading any differences in the flywheel. Your readings should be accurate whether you have no or 2 shims however the accepted manner of choosing the last shim is as TCash and others have said, read with 2 shims then choose the last shim based on that. Prices on new shims are getting pretty outrageous. BusDepot still has them on their site for $7.50 each but you'll have to call to see what they are able to ship at that price.

If you plan to rebuild T4 motors occasionally or plan to check the end play again after 2000 - 30000 miles, (which I do any time the motor is out), bite the bullet and pick up 2 or 3 of each if you can. It will set you back $100 but you will always have what you need and the time it will save is well worth the money. T1 and T4 shims are different.

DeltaBravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Let's do it in mm's

The end play specification is .07 - .13

With your measurements you need a combination of shims to achieve 1.15 - 1.09

So 3 shims at .38=1.14

Which will give you .08 end play in the end.

All good
Tcash

Flywheel Adjusting Shim, 0.38mm vw prt# 021 105 289

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=24288

ok, just to make sure were are speaking the same langue and with the same numbers. And this is in no way a correction on you, just my way of making sure I am perfectly clear on what each number represents and how I got it.

I am going to use mm and my total thrust with out shims installed.

Total thrust= 1.37

minus .07 (end play) This is what I want to end up with at the end.

equals 1.3 of total thrust to remove. Divide 1.3 by 3 shims...

equals .43
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeltaBravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

SGKent,

I appreciate and welcome your suggestions...thank you.

As far as the shims go, I stopped using them because they are cupped, wavy and damaged from the excessive endplay from before. So after several measurements in four different spots on the shim I realized the variant (errors) in the shim. Two of them are severely damaged.

I didn't know that about the distributor drive gear, I will look into that tomorrow and see if my endplay/thrust is any different.

I don't "plan" on rebuilding T4 motors occasionally, but...I don't know if I will need to tear this thing down again after I turn the key and it sounds like a bucket of bolts getting thrown around Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

DeltaBravo wrote:

ok, just to make sure were are speaking the same langue

You cannot measure end play with out shims installed.
So were are not speaking the same langue.

Good luck
Tcash
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
DeltaBravo wrote:

Good luck
Tcash

If the measurement is taken without shims what seems to happen is that one gets a number. Then one picks 3 shims to make up the correct size to leave say .004" (inch) play but when they are installed the play is off by a couple thousands. So the easiest way to do it is grab a couple of the middle thickness, toss them on and see what is left. Then if one shim is perfect go for it. Usually what I find is that no two shims of the same thickness are actually the stamped thickness from batch to batch. Sometimes worn ones are in there too. So one measures where they are with two, chooses a combination to get to the middle of the allowable range, then tries it. If it works it stays, If it is off then a slightly different combination is tried. I use either a veneer caliper or micrometer on the shim when I am choosing it. You'll get really good at it after a couple tries. We had the same kind of issue on Fiat, Alfa and Ferrari heads setting the valves. There is a puck that comes out - it gets measured then another gets chosen thicker or thinner to set the lash. A friend's Supra was the same way as I recall. Usually if you keep good shims around, when you sell the bus or build your last engine you can find someone to buy your shim collection. No one wants to wait a week in the mail for the shims to arrive, then they discover they were tired that night and need a different size.

Example of the Fiat valve shims. Thank the Lord VW gave us a screw and lock nut to turn.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Alfa set

Last edited by SGKent on Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeltaBravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
DeltaBravo wrote:

Good luck
Tcash

Thanks for clarifying Tcash. I am going to re-evaulate this again.

I will see if I can apply the techniques SGKent suggest about sanding down two of my current shims to make them more accurate and going from there...
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

DeltaBravo wrote:
Tcash wrote:
DeltaBravo wrote:

Good luck
Tcash

Thanks for clarifying Tcash. I am going to re-evaulate this again.

I will see if I can apply the techniques SGKent suggest about sanding down two of my current shims to make them more accurate and going from there...

If they are cupped toss them.
DeltaBravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

I've been busy with "other" life events...so haven't been able to focus on the build.

Need to order new shims and "hopefully" get a measurement that will allow just one more shim to get within specs.

But something that was bothering me earlier that was kinda shadowed by the endplay issue. After setting the valves (hydraulic) I notice it seems the screws are pretty much on the last thread. I have rechecked my procedures (verifying TDC, rotating counter-clockwise, adjusting 1,2,3 and lastly 4) adjusting to zero valve lash then tightening 1 1/2 turns to 2 full turns. The only thing that has changed within my valve/cam assembly are new lifters... Confused

Here are some pics.

Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

I would say it's because the lifters aren't pumped up as you haven't run the motor to break in the cam yet
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeltaBravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
I would say it's because the lifters aren't pumped up as you haven't run the motor to break in the cam yet

Ok,
I could buy that...

I did soak them for about 5 days prior to installation. They "should" be bleed.

Would you say that after the initial 'break in' they would need an adjustment and that adjustment would put the screw into a more desirable setting?

Could my cam, lifters or valves be damaged from this initial setting during the break-in? I feel like after the lifters are pumped up the tolerance would be way too tight and cause damage...dunno?

Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

They can't/won't pump up any more than the adjuster allows them, but I suspect your interpretation of zero lash is different than others'. For the moment set them 1 turn in from where you feel zero is and readjust after break in, soaking them isn't really the way to bleed them, it's likely they are all still dry inside.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
DeltaBravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
They can't/won't pump up any more than the adjuster allows them, but I suspect your interpretation of zero lash is different than others'. For the moment set them 1 turn in from where you feel zero is and readjust after break in, soaking them isn't really the way to bleed them, it's likely they are all still dry inside.

I will adjust them 1 turn in for where I feel or "interpret" zero lash.

But this is a real question-
How different of an interpretation could there be of "zero lash"? I mean...you turn the screw unit there is no space between the adjustment screw and valve stem...back it off a little...ooops, too much! Turn it slowly back in while pulling up and down (lightly) on the rocker arm until it stops moving and making a ticking sound, while visually watching the relationship between the adjustment screw and valve stem... Right? I don't think this method would yield to much of a difference in "zero lash". Is there another way to interpret it?

Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

DeltaBravo wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

I will adjust them 1 turn in for where I feel or "interpret" zero lash.

But this is a real question-
How different of an interpretation could there be of "zero lash"? I mean...you turn the screw unit there is no space between the adjustment screw and valve stem...back it off a little...ooops, too much! Turn it slowly back in while pulling up and down (lightly) on the rocker arm until it stops moving and making a ticking sound, while visually watching the relationship between the adjustment screw and valve stem... Right? I don't think this method would yield to much of a difference in "zero lash". Is there another way to interpret it?

Thanks

Well it's never been a problem for me, but others have had issues in the past, everyone has a different idea of what freely moving vs; slight spring resistance is. If you are confident you are just at the end of the freeplay before the slight springyness starts then it's likely OK.

Another possibility is have you calculated compression ratios, deck heights, etc?, a combination of long cylinders and stepped heads can make the pushrods too short.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

on a hydraulic lifter there is a small spring inside. That is the moment the lifter starts compressing. As you tighten the screws that spring compresses as the pushrod pushes on the plunger which in turn pushes on that small spring. You don't want to compress it but you want no freeplay between it and the pushrod. If you go to far then it bottoms and you begin to feel the main valve spring. Let's say the spec is two turns in - that is from the moment you start to compress the hydraulic lifter spring, not the main valve spring. Borrowing photos from Richard Atwell's page explaining it, http://www.ratwell.com/technical/HydraulicLifters.html

You are two turns in from the freeplay gone when this lite spring holding up the plunger has just lost freeplay - it is subtle but you can feel it.

Not these springs below although the screw sits against them. You will feel the pushrod just stop wiggling when the slack is taken up between the pushrod and the plunger which is sitting on that spring inside the lifter.

You are looking to just feel the pushrod push the internal plunger down against the plunger spring then 2 turns more. BusDaddy says 1 so you don't go too far and so the lifter fills with oil. You can't fill one by soaking it. You have to depress the check valve in it and apply oil under pressure to bleed it.

Here is a well known "Boston Bob" (RIP) article on all that they don't tell you about pre-bleeding those lifters http://www.ratwell.com/mirror/www.bostonengine.com/articles/hydraulicll.htm
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Not meaning any disrespect but, Question Whats up with the length of those
valve adjusting screws.

Stock screws are 25 mm in length & these look do be about 20 mm or less

6 threads should be showing against the valve with the nut in that
position.Which is close to 7 m.m.

Yepp, i had to go to the garage to check this out. Confused
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Good eye, they do look a little on the stubby side. I'm also curious about the copper looking washers under the rocker shaft retainer nuts.

And yes, I suggested 1 turn just for break in to bleed the lifters, 1.5-2 is the usual preferred preload, whatever you end up with do all of them the same so you can count turns at the next valve adjustment, if 1 takes more or less to unload that valve or lifter is becoming a problem, keep a log.

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Quote:
Not meaning any disrespect but, Question Whats up with the length of those valve adjusting screws.

and here I thought my eyes were just playing tricks. Your eyes are better than mine Chris - and probably your memory too. Smile

BTW - DeltaBravo, have you installed the pushrod retaining wires?

DeltaBravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Great info guys!

SGKent,
Thanks for the in-depth explanation on the lifters. I didn't "pump" the valves with the push rods while they were soaked in the oil...maybe that would help? I have installed the pushrod retaining wires, thanks for double checking.

busdaddy and old DKP driver,
I will measure the length to verify 25mm long. They are the same length as the old ones I removed...but that doesn't mean they were correct either.

busdaddy,
The copper washers are use specifically in aviation and I picked them because
1) they were available.
2) the old ones were not correct, miss-matched or missing.
3) if they are good enough for aviation...then they are good enough for me.

old DKP driver,
I was expecting about the same, "6 threads should be showing against the valve with the nut in that position". This is why I am concerned.

I was wondering something, a hypothetical question, if you will...

After setting all the valve preload to (1 turn in) and after installing everything else. I was thinking of turning the engine over (using the starter, but not "starting" the engine) to verify good oil pressure with a gauge. After verifying good oil pressure would it be a good idea to revisit the valve preload and adjust if needed prior to the engine break in.

I am thinking this will "pump" the lifters and change the preload...dunno? What do you think? Good idea or waste of time? Or do I need to completely back track because there is something else completely wrong and preceding forward is futile.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

OK, the washers may work as long as they don't compress and lose torque, that's a particularly high stress stud that's doing a big job, keep an eye on it.

As for a reset after cranking?, no... it takes 20 minutes of running in most cases to bleed out the lifters, a little cranking isn't going to do squat for them. But do remove the plugs and build oil pressure before firing it up regardless, the rest of the bearings will thank you.

Слава Україні!
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Thank the Lord VW gave us a screw and lock nut to turn.

Alfa set

The early VW WC engines were bucket and shim setups.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: