Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sick of this and about to give up.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Same socket removes the rear axle nuts so you can do brakes, or axle seals. You should get that tool soon for those fixes.

While you have the fan out check that the spacing between the gen tin and rear (rear as in closest to rear bumper)of the fan is about .080".
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Same socket removes the rear axle nuts so you can do brakes, or axle seals. You should get that tool soon for those fixes.

While you have the fan out check that the spacing between the gen tin and rear (rear as in closest to rear bumper)of the fan is about .080".

It's 36mm or 1 inch and 7/16 easiest to obtain the standard size used at a flea market. I'd look for half inch drive. Easier still obtain a impact gun and with some practice you can buzz these on and off quickly. I made a thread sometime back showing exactly how to install fan
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Easier still obtain a impact gun and with some practice you can buzz these on and off quickly.

really bad advice. Might be OK to take the nut off but never tell anyone to use an air gun to install it Shocked
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

sb001 please post an image of the left side of the cooler. That way can tell if the cooler has swollen at all.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
sb001 please post an image of the left side of the cooler. That way can tell if the cooler has swollen at all.

Will do as soon as I get home from work.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

My case is actually a Brazilian AS 21, not a 41. But I still assume it uses 10mm oil passages.

Its 10.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mojo07470
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

The odd thing about this thread is everything is about overheating. And yet there's a thread about a guy from texas that knows he's overheating yet he says runs fine and idles well. Just an observation kind of curious isn't it?
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
That said, most if not all original VW/Bosch SVDA's were properly timed at 7.5° BTDC, with vacuum advance hose (only vacuum signal the SVDA uses) disconnected and plugged. When I tried that with mine, it pinged under higher loads like pulling a hill or accelerating at higher speeds. So I backed it off a smidge from that and it seemed fine--which is where I have it now.

You're saying it's backed off a smidge from 7.5 at idle, right, with no hoses attached? If so, did you get there by timing it to 30* BTDC at full throttle? If so, I'll shut up about that, because that would also be my best guess about where it should idle if you're trying to imitate a SVDA with a DVDA.
sb001 wrote:
zoobyshoe wrote:
In fact, I think I would actually be inclined to get the exact proper vacuum distributor for your engine and carb. Mechanics' lore about what hacks you can get away with is sometimes right, but when a problem goes on and on, I start to wonder what hidden problems those hacks might be causing.

It's amazing how many people say "get the right distributor" without researching to see I have the correct one.
I DO have the correct carb and distributor for my engine! It's a 1600 single port with an autostick, which was a Bosch 113-905-205 AD or AE distributor, and a Solex 30 PICT 3 carb! It's all right there in my signature line. It's all perfectly matched to my engine-- the only "hack" I am doing right now is using my DVDA canister as an SVDA. I'll fix that asap.

Apologies for not checking whether you had the right distributor. I jumped to the conclusion you weren't sure you did, due to this post in the other thread:
sb001 wrote:
vamram wrote:
You mentioned earlier in your thread that you had a DVDA distributor, from a '71+ bug? Is that correct?

...Yes my AE distributor is apparently either from a 70 or 71 autostick, but which one???- Old Volks Home lists it as for a 1970 autostick (along with the AD), but the Bosch tuneup chart lists it for a 71. (Old Volks Home lists a "service replacement only" distributor for the 71 autotick, but says the AH will work.) This ALSO makes a difference in knowing, because the correct distributor for a 70 would have been for a 1600 single port with a 30 PICT 3 (which is the engine I have and the carb I am running.) BUT if it's really for a 71, that would have been for a DUAL PORT 1600 with a 34 PICT 3. Correct? You see the problem I have, trying to diagnose all this conflicting info??
Honestly I am beginning to think Old Volks Home is wrong in this case, but either way according to them the AE distributor is interchangeable with the AA (from a 69) or the AD (from whatever.) So it shouldn't make a difference! God this hurts my head.

Also, I read, for example:

Quote:
In 1971 (in the USA) the VW engines were shipped with a “smog” distributor, which had a vacuum retard in addition to the vacuum advance. This is also the year when most VW engines were also updated to the dual port head and intake manifold configuration, along with a change in carburetors from the 30 PICT series to the 34 PICT series, which has the additional port for the vacuum retard.

http://www.aircooled.net/vw-distributor-options/
Which creates the strong impression the DVDA was primarily intended by Volkswagen to be paired with the Dual Port 1600 and the 34 series carbs. This was their new anti-smog set up. I acknowledge that it says "most" and not "all," but, however many single port 1600's might have been shipped with a DVDA and 30 PICT carbs, my impression is that they were actually engineering that distributor for the dual port with 34 series carbs. Meaning: it may never have been the happiest match for your engine and carb, even though VW released them together.

The "hack" I was referring to is operating a dual vacuum as a single (but, yeah, my phrasing was ambiguous. Sorry.).
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Here you go

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Mojo07470 wrote:
The odd thing about this thread is everything is about overheating. And yet there's a thread about a guy from texas that knows he's overheating yet he says runs fine and idles well. Just an observation kind of curious isn't it?

Not sure who you are referring to, there is a guy in Houston (jovanybg) who is having pretty much exactly the same issues I am, but I don't remember him saying it's OK. Whoever it is, if he knows it's overheating and doesn't care, well...

There is a reason this thread has gone 20+ pages, because I am desperate to figure this out due to knowing EXACTLY the repercussions of having these engines overheat.

1600 SP engine
Mojo07470
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

There is another thread called overheating issues in texas. Its on this forum he's obviously concerned about it or he wouldn't post about it. Like I said just seemed odd. Thats all. Good luck with your project.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

zoobyshoe wrote:

Apologies for not checking whether you had the right distributor. I jumped to the conclusion you weren't sure you did, due to this post in the other thread:
sb001 wrote:
vamram wrote:
You mentioned earlier in your thread that you had a DVDA distributor, from a '71+ bug? Is that correct?

...Yes my AE distributor is apparently either from a 70 or 71 autostick, but which one???- Old Volks Home lists it as for a 1970 autostick (along with the AD), but the Bosch tuneup chart lists it for a 71. (Old Volks Home lists a "service replacement only" distributor for the 71 autotick, but says the AH will work.) This ALSO makes a difference in knowing, because the correct distributor for a 70 would have been for a 1600 single port with a 30 PICT 3 (which is the engine I have and the carb I am running.) BUT if it's really for a 71, that would have been for a DUAL PORT 1600 with a 34 PICT 3. Correct? You see the problem I have, trying to diagnose all this conflicting info??
Honestly I am beginning to think Old Volks Home is wrong in this case, but either way according to them the AE distributor is interchangeable with the AA (from a 69) or the AD (from whatever.) So it shouldn't make a difference! God this hurts my head.

Good point! Very Happy

It does hurt my head to discuss my distributor, mainly because there is varying information regarding it. There was an AD and an AE distributor, and they are both listed interchangeably for 1970 autosticks on the Old Volks Home website, but one is listed for 1970 and the other is listed for 1971 on the Bosch tuneup chart. (More on that below.) They apparently both used DVDA (vacuum advance AND retard) canisters with them, and they both have EXACTLY the same advance and retard signal measurements: 6-8° of retard at idle, and 8-12° of advance whenever it kicks in (it should not be a factor at idle.)

So either way, they appear to be the same distributor. So it doesn't really matter that VW went to a dual port setup in 1971 when you are talking about the autostick distributors because they were already using a DVDA setup. (The manual tranny cars were using vacuum only distributors--no mechanical advance--up through 1970, then they switched to the DVDA as well.) Also, the early autostick DVDA distributors were always timed at 0° TDC, instead of 5° ATDC like the manual tranny DVDA distributors.

Now according to the Bosch tuneup chart:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/Bosch_Tune_Up_Parts/Bosch_Tune_Up_Parts.pdf

my distributor uses a DVDA canister with it, part # 07138 (or short number 837 which is stamped on the vacuum canister arm.) If you scroll down to the "vacuum canister part numbers" section of this chart, and find my 113-905-205 AE distributor, you will see this. This is the exact canister I am currently running. You will also see that the application year listed for it is 1970, but with a question mark. This probably simply means that it is interchangeable with the AD autostick distributor-- EITHER of these can be used properly with a 1970 1600cc single port autostivk setup (which is what I have in my car right now even though my car is a 69 model.)

Similarly, if you look at the autostick distributors listed for 1970 on the Old Volks Home website:

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#A1970A

you will see that they list both the AD and AE distributors for a 1970 autostick. So it would appear I have the correct distributor, AND the correct matching DVDA canister for it.

But hold on-- look at the Old Volks Home page again. See down at the bottom of the 1970 autostick listing? it ONLY gives a vacuum ADVANCE spec! And it only mentions disconnecting ONE vacuum hose when setting timing! Which would imply that I am supposed to have an SVDA canister instead of a DVDA!

I will say this though: every single Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor I have ever seen (which would be the correct carburetor for a 1970 1600cc single port), that has the "227 modification state" number stamped on it, which designates it an autostick carburetor, has the vacuum retard port on it. (As well as the third port for a vacuum line over to the autostick control valve, of course.) So as far as I am concerned I DO have the correct DVDA canister and Old Volks Home just got their specs wrong.

See what I mean? Conflicting information that gives me a headache.

1600 SP engine
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Here you go

Guess it looks OK. Was hoping for more direct shot at that side to see that the flattened cooling tubes did not swell up.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

No sponge on those non-doghouse coolers?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

No
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Well I have to sponge up oil off the floor sometimes Razz

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Guess it looks OK. Was hoping for more direct shot at that side to see that the flattened cooling tubes did not swell up.

Sorry, this is about the best I can do with my crappy camera phone:

1600 SP engine
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Looks great!! Should be good to go.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Looks good. Now convert to a doghouse shroud and cooler while it's apart Laughing

Sure as hell wouldn't hurt at least. It would keep temps down on your 3/4 head, keep oil temp down a tiny bit. Any little bit would help in your situation.

My favorite rig for a 99% stockish daily driver is a doghouse 1600 single port with 30pict3, matching dizzy, oil bath, and a basic header (modified for proper heat riser operation) and quiet pack or hideout muffler. Hard to kill when rigged up correctly.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 35

Jump to: