Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What grit to use between epoxy primer & bondo?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: What grit to use between epoxy primer & bondo? Reply with quote

Hi!

I sprayed two coats of epoxy primer before putting on Bondo. Then, according to the Bondo instructions, I VERY lightly sanded with 80 grit. However, now I swear I see shiny metal showing through Shocked , which is not what I want!! I want it sealed with epoxy before putting on body filler.

Do I need to still use 80 grit on the epoxy or is that just the Bondo instructions for bare metal adhesion requirements? If I scuff it up with say 320, will the Bondo adhere OK to the epoxy?

Jason
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: What grit to use between epoxy primer & bondo? Reply with quote

First of all I assume you are not using "Bondo" brand right?

The more "tooth" the better for fillers. I would just go ahead and apply to what you have. Seal it again with a coat of epoxy afterwards.
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: What grit to use between epoxy primer & bondo? Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
First of all I assume you are not using "Bondo" brand right?

The more "tooth" the better for fillers. I would just go ahead and apply to what you have. Seal it again with a coat of epoxy afterwards.

OK. Substitute "body filler" for Bondo in above question.

Looking for more real world details on what has worked. Have people scuffed up epoxy with 150 grit then applied body filler successfully? 320 successfully?

Do I need to spray 4 coats of epoxy and then use 80? (e.g. my 2 coats just wasn't enough)...

Thanks!
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: What grit to use between epoxy primer & bondo? Reply with quote

I just got my bug in paint, so longevity still needs to be tested, but if you're seeing some metal through the epoxy after sanding, I wouldn't be too worried. Filler likes to be applied to tooth, whether that's in epoxy primer or in metal. Both are waterproof, and you're going to be putting epoxy/high build over the bondo afterwards anyway. I originally scuffed a few panels with 400 grit then found out that was a BAD idea, had to wire wheel it all off, rescuff with 80 grit and apply filler over that.

Hope that helps.

My 1679 Engine build.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What grit to use between epoxy primer & bondo? Reply with quote

coclimber wrote:
Hi!

I sprayed two coats of epoxy primer before putting on Bondo. Then, according to the Bondo instructions, I VERY lightly sanded with 80 grit. However, now I swear I see shiny metal showing through Shocked , which is not what I want!! I want it sealed with epoxy before putting on body filler.

Do I need to still use 80 grit on the epoxy or is that just the Bondo instructions for bare metal adhesion requirements? If I scuff it up with say 320, will the Bondo adhere OK to the epoxy?

Jason

Have you looked at the manufacturers sheets? They give pretty specific instructions. What type of filler, exactly?

For example:

Quote:
Directions for Use
Preparation
• Wash the area to be repaired with soap and water, then clean with DX 330 ACRYLI-CLEAN® Wax and Grease Remover, DX 393 0.6 Low VOC Cleaner or DX 3941.4 Low VOC Cleaner.
• Sand repair areas with 24-80 grit sandpaper for DF 700, DF 705
• Sand the repair area with 180 grit or finer when using DF 715 TECHNIGLAZE™.
• Re-clean with DX 330, DX 393 or DX 394. Wipe off any DX 393 or DX 394 cleaning residue with a clean damp
cloth.
• DPLF Epoxy may be applied to all bare metal surfaces prior to application of filler. See “Compatible Surfaces” for specific directions.

http://us.ppgrefinish.com/getmedia/E1688339-1BB1-4A90-902F-62717793CD78/04/p-101_dfbodyfiller.pdf

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: What grit to use between epoxy primer & bondo? Reply with quote

Often it is not required to scuff or sand epoxy before using filler if the filler is applied within a couple of days. It chemically bonds. Check the Technical Data Sheet (search online) for your specific primer to be sure. If unsure, anything 150 or courser is enough tooth for filler. Filler adheres to bare metal well also so I wouldn't worry about a little showing here and there. If you are sanding through right away your coat must be pretty light in the 1st place.
Julio_Arcos123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What grit to use between epoxy primer & bondo? Reply with quote

Many people will say dont put filler over primer/paint. Different companies will say different things. Its preference really. Some swear it will peel, i personally have never had problems with it.

80 grit is just fine. 36 will just remove everything and dig into the metal, how it should be put on. 80 whether by hand or d.a. will give it just enough scratch to where the filler will hold on and grab to. 180 or lower will basically only scuff the substrate, here is where you get risky. It will stick but i wouldnt trust it, specially if youre throwing on a lot.

With 80 you might get to metal but as long as you put your filler then primer before surface rust builds,or it is exposed to moisture, you are all good.

Again the more "teeth" you have for your filler to hold on to the better.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What grit to use between epoxy primer & bondo? Reply with quote

Epoxy has a window to put filler on top of, a week for my SPI. It will stick nicely. I was also under the impression filler isn't waterproof. It has pin holes.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: What grit to use between epoxy primer & bondo? Reply with quote

Filler is not waterproof. But you coat it with high build, sealer, top coat and clear.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What grit to use between epoxy primer & bondo? Reply with quote

That's why I like the epoxy not sanded or ground down. Keeps the moisture out. Paint doesn't keep moisture out from what I've heard. That's why paint shops have to put clear on, no more single stage. The paint releases into the atmosphere, if it comes out it can go in. Clear will seal it but when the clear starts to come off, well you know.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: