Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remove Pulley
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

What is the best way to remove the crank pulley? I need to reinstall the breast plate tin under it.
...Do I need to get or borrow a pulley "puller"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D7013
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

you still have to get the large nut off I assume, before using the tool
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

I use 2 large screwdrivers and CAREFULLY wiggle it off.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

if theres a NAPA around you, you can "rent" a 3 arm puller (i think thats what tis called--check my bay bus build thread its in there) for like 70 bucks, then you can return it and they refund the rental fee.

I tried the two screwdriver thing and bent the crap out of the pulley-any wiggling i did didnt move the pulley, just bent it..but sometimes i swear im part orangutan , but the puller had it out in udner a minute IIRC

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

Yes. you have to remove the nut. I, ashamedly admit, use a large crescent hammer to do this with a few good cracks from a ball-peen. use the butt end of two crescent hammers between the case and pulley and with some patience, it will gingerly wiggle off.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas...will be working on it soon, gotta a small project on my 911 I gotta get done first.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

another question- I see 30mm and 32mm listed for this which is it? Or I might get both to be safe.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

Mine's a 30.
A few years ago, I made a hole in the rearmost tin aligned with the pulley bolt.
I sized the hole to fit a Type 3 timing hole plug I had lying around
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

but any rubber plug from a hardware store would do.

With the hole there, it's easy on the knuckles to use a 30mm socket with an extension to remove the bolt from behind the bumper (through the hand crank opening).

Last edited by mondshine on Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Mine's a 30.

Smile thanks
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

still a question on the bolt-- anyone used the Broached pulley nut for this?

The one with the 3/8" hole in it..

Just wondering if it makes sense to use it:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Broached-Crank-Pulley-Bolt-Stainless-Steel-CB2050-p/cb2050.htm
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

I have used one of those bolts in the past. It does provide a small convenience in that a 3/8" drive ratchet can be used to remove the bolt. I am no longer using that bolt, though I can't remember why. I don't remove the pulley very often, so it makes little difference. For rolling the engine over to adjust the valves, the alternator pulley nut works fine for me.
If the pulley is to be removed, the rear tin must come out anyway in order to use the puller. My puller looks like this:

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

thanks. I was actually adjusting the valves today and turning the pulley. Had no problems using my crescent wrench to do it.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

here is the pulley puller I use it fits in the 2 holes near the center so it does not warp the pulley

Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
here is the pulley puller I use it fits in the 2 holes near the center so it does not warp the pulley

Nice tool...where did you get it?
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

I had it for years. That is what happens when you are old you keep your tools for the next generation
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

I have to go visit more swap meets, garage sales and flea markets!
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Remove Pulley Reply with quote

I have the craftsman tools I bought in the late 60's. Also inherited some form my dad who had a service station. Lucky for me my son's work on their cars too so they can get the tools when I am not using em anymore

Had to buy a new compression tester though, mine was so old it quit working..Hope I don't need it soon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: