Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

make me fall in love with beetles
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

I know the group is great! I know some but not a lot about the bugs. Talk my ear off about them. Tell me about all their benefits, some of which I am familiar with and then there is some that I dont know. Enlighten me to the hardships to expect.

Last edited by SOLiiD on Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

They suck. Don't buy one.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

There's already an entire forum tab dedicate to your subject: "Stories"

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:

Because once you buy one, you'll need another to drive while its not working & another to use for parts & another because it was a good deal... Hell, just look at enjoyther1de's avatar.

They were designed 70 years ago when road conditions were much worse and traveling at modern highway speeds was unheard of, and the newest ones are almost 40 years old. They perform best in the shittiest of conditions, unless you HAVE to be someplace, and do wonderfully on secondary roads, dirt roads & off road.

They're great cars for the person that wants to tinker... Constantly.
But very rewarding when you get to enjoy them (whether that's working out n them or driving them.)
Definitely a love/hate relationship.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:

Yep. Worthless cars. I had a miserable trip driving out to take this garbage picture. Zero fun was had Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
enjoyther1de wrote:

Yep. Worthless cars. I had a miserable trip driving out to take this garbage picture. Zero fun was had Laughing

Oh man, I feel for ya. Mostly the living in Modesto part. Razz
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

This addiction seems cheaper than the Fiero addiction I had. Something about engine noise in the back of my head...

Last edited by SOLiiD on Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

This hobby is full. Laughing

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:

Why am I getting the vibe of a bunch of F-off in here? Do you not appreciate a new comer? If you are being humorous, Ill catch on.

Sorry, but Im slow now. I got a TBI some time ago. For this country, if you catch my drift. Im not some dumb punk kid with a eurotrash veedubb fetish, so please dont treat me like I am one.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

SOLiiD wrote:
sixfootdan wrote:

Why am I getting the vibe of a bunch of F-off in here? Do you not appreciate a new comer? If you are being humorous, Ill catch on.

I *think* he was being humorous. If you're gonna last on The Samba, better wear your thickest skin.

There are some very knowledgable, helpful, sarcastic, funny folks here. Often, 1 person may be all of the above, in a single post. Most are not intentional ass-hats, they just come across that way.
If Dan was being an ass, he'd say the hobby is full, go away: Not the hobby if full, LOL.

Welcome to The Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

SOLiiD wrote:
sixfootdan wrote:

I think of it more like AA. This is a support group for people with problems.
we all have our reasons for how we came to be plagued by the affliction, but a lot don't like to talk about it.
Having a sense of humor is the only way to stay sane.

My name's Glen and I'm a volkswagen enthusiast.
I have resisted buying another vw for 115 days.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

modok wrote:

My name's Glen and I'm a volkswagen enthusiast.
I have resisted buying another vw for 115 days.

I envy you.

My name is Ben and I bought my third vw 3 days ago. Embarassed
To make matters worse my wife already wants another one. We need professional help hahaha.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

SOLiiD wrote:

It's called sarcasm. We're just messing with you cause you asked us to make you fall in love with beetles. That's like asking for help to enjoy sex. If you need outside help to like a vw bug then you're too far gone lol. Just get one. The only thing you'll regret is getting addicted and wanting to get more. Again...kind of like sex. The vw bug is the ultimate hater proof vehicle. I have NEVER met someone who was like "Oh you have a bug? I hate those cars". Literally everyone loves them.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

thought I was weeding them off, and then 4 more, yes 4, just popped onto my plate...

'65
'72
'72 convert
'79 convert

what a weekend....
and 2 more on the way..

'61
'74
these 2 are titled parts car though, so not sure I really count them....

never ending addiction i guess Wink
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

Good luck.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

I love my 73 standard. I get waves, friendly honks, thumbs up and conversations in parking lots and gas stations. This car is a chick magnet, especially if the chicks you are trolling for are over 50.

The down sides.
I can't possibly keep up with 75 mph traffic in the hills of Kentucky.
I can't possibly keep up with 90 mph traffic around Cleveland, Atlanta or DC.
No trunk space, If I were younger and more nimble the area behind the back seat would work well.
With the windows down in the summer, too noisy for pleasant conversation.
Most parts are only available via internet, which means small repairs take a week, mostly waiting for parts, this is where the second car comes in.
Some parts, the shipping is more than the part.
I have several thousands more into it than I could sell it for.
40 year old parts break, must be diagnosed and repaired correctly.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I love my 73 standard. I get waves, friendly honks, thumbs up and conversations in parking lots and gas stations. This car is a chick magnet, especially if the chicks you are trolling for are over 50.

The down sides.
I can't possibly keep up with 75 mph traffic in the hills of Kentucky.
I can't possibly keep up with 90 mph traffic around Cleveland, Atlanta or DC.
No trunk space, If I were younger and more nimble the area behind the back seat would work well.
With the windows down in the summer, too noisy for pleasant conversation.
Most parts are only available via internet, which means small repairs take a week, mostly waiting for parts, this is where the second car comes in.
Some parts, the shipping is more than the part.
I have several thousands more into it than I could sell it for.
40 year old parts break, must be diagnosed and repaired correctly.

That is because of where you live. I could probably rebuild 95% of my car without the use of the Internet and the shitty parts it offers and never go more than 2 hours from home. There is also an air cooled vw mechanic less than 5 miles from me that's been in my town for 40+ years.

If you pay attention to what your car is telling you and stay on top of preventive maintenance there is zero reason why you couldn't daily drive a VW bug.

I drive my 40 horse '66 bug 80 miles a day 5 days a week with ZERO ISSUES. And 75 miles of that is all freeway at 65-70mph.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:

100% agree. You can't take these cars anywhere

But really though, you just have to start driving one and it comes to you.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

Ok Im getting it... sorry, a little bit slow on things at times. Ill catch on.

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
SOLiiD wrote:

It's called sarcasm. We're just messing with you cause you asked us to make you fall in love with beetles. That's like asking for help to enjoy sex. If you need outside help to like a vw bug then you're too far gone lol. Just get one. The only thing you'll regret is getting addicted and wanting to get more. Again...kind of like sex. The vw bug is the ultimate hater proof vehicle. I have NEVER met someone who was like "Oh you have a bug? I hate those cars". Literally everyone loves them.

So the nozzle goes IN the gas hole!?
Only person Ive met that talks like they hate them, is my brother. He daily drives a M35A2 that always has some kind of catastrophic problem. He'll learn.

Brian wrote:
enjoyther1de wrote:

100% agree. You can't take these cars anywhere

But really though, you just have to start driving one and it comes to you.

But not so much that it owns you... like my... just about every last car ive owned. Cant ignore it either, things will just get worse and youll lose a lot of money in the divorce Shocked
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

You just have to jump in a couple and drive them. You might find you like them, you may find you're indifferent to them. They are not (generally) very fast. The handling is not particularly sure feeling. The windshield is close enough to touch while your hand is still on the steering wheel. Still, they have a sound and a feel unlike any other car on the road. They don't hide the driving experience from you at all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: