Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overheating damages: Broken engine ?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Moustache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I was driving on the highway when my engine noise changed, I stopped asap and heard a breaking noise. There was a light smoke coming from the fan.
There was broken metal pieces in the engine compartment which seem to come from here:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are the pieces:

The engine cranks but won't start and accelerating seems to have no effect.
I can also hear some kind of clicking noise every 3 crank which moves the bus a little bit.

Thanks.

Edit: 1970, 1600cc.

Last edited by Captain Moustache on Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

It has thrown one of your rods. Don't try to crank it you will only damage the crank and rods or other parts that may still be good. Your Case is shot!
Captain Moustache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

So how do I go from here ?
Is it even fixable ?

Also, what was the most probable cause ? Overheating ?

Last edited by Captain Moustache on Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

It will need to be taken out of the car and taken apart and rebuilt with new parts. Or find another good engine for your car.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

Not fixable. It's time for a new build. That usually happens when you run it out of oil...have you been checking the oil at every gas stop?

Good news is you have a lot of parts that are reusable with your new build. All the tins and most of the bolt on parts can be carried over the the new engine. It's time to find a builder.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Captain Moustache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

Okay, thank you.

I guess it's time to put it to sleep for a few years then Sad .

It's my fault I overlooked checking the oil lately. I'm a dumbass.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

Rich often when they throw a rod it just breaks the cam in two and the case and of course that piston will be destroyed it could wreck the head may-be not and the crank is likely bad but may not be it may just need to be re-ground. It happened to my 66 Bug years ago but yeah, its a good idea to find another motor but many of the parts will still be good. Everything needs to be checked by a machinist to see if it's still good though.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

Captain Moustache wrote:
Okay, thank you.

It's my fault I overlooked checking the oil lately. I'm a dumbass.

Was your oil light coming on sometimes in the week or days before this happened?
Captain Moustache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

No but to be fair it might not even be working. I've never seen it on.
When I checked the oil (after it broke) it was under the minimum stripe.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

Yes' it a shame your engine has died but, i.t does not mean you are at fault

It is a failure that is most common.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

The oil warning light?

Captain Moustache wrote:
No but to be fair it might not even be working. I've never seen it on.

I would like to take this time to apologize to you, and make you an example for everyone else as to why it is important to have a functioning oil pressure "idiot" warning light.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

Time to go back and read John Muir's idiot manual (no offense). The idiot lights are the only thing that keeps you in the know about what your engine is doing while driving. They are essential.

You're not going to want to reuse a single component inside that engine. Metal shavings no doubt made their way through the oil long before the rod ever broke, and that rod has to get really really hot to break like that which means your crank got really really hot too and is probably purple from the heat which means it's junk. Also where the rod seized up it will have ruined the crank journal beyond repair (except for welding in new material and regrinding, but it's cheaper to get a different one).
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

It's not all that worse than other things that happen to them just more dramatic! The flywheel that I use now came off an engine that broke the crankshaft. And then there was my stock engine Building a Stock ish Type 1 engine for the 1971 VW Bus? which was running fine when I took it out of my bus. Bus upon tearing it down I discovered that pretty much everything was bad. The heads were cracked, the crank had metal eaten out of it by corrosion, the case was hammered out beyond machining, the flywheel which looked perfect turned out to be (out of round) and had been causing the premature deaf (hammering out the case) of every engine it had ever been run on. Rod's and engine tin etc are the only parts I could use.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

Here's a pick of a rod that went right through the case in the same spot as the OPs. Bad news

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

I have posted this many times before, "sufficient oil is more important than the type of the oil one uses" and "an oil pressure warning light is way more important than a gauge".

I know that few believe I am going right, but I have run a quart over the "FULL" mark on both my Type 1 and Type 4 engines for nearly 40 years now and like the assurance it gives me that I will not ever run dangerously low on oil.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

I'm all for gauge-less, as-delivered VWs.
But run a functioning idiot light & check oil once every fortnight. FFS
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:

I appreciate the linguistics, but I feel like even a weekly oil inspection is almost lacking in diligence. I'm worried more about gas in the oil from a faulty pump gasket than I am of an engine spontaneously "losing" its oil.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
timvw7476 wrote:

I appreciate the linguistics, but I feel like even a weekly oil inspection is almost lacking in diligence. I'm worried more about gas in the oil from a faulty pump gasket than I am of an engine spontaneously "losing" its oil.

I second this one. I check it before the first start up of the day and when I stop to get gas and that Oil & Gen light better come on every time I turn the key to the #1 run position.
Sorry for your loss
Tcash
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

Captain Moustache wrote:

Few years? Nah, get back on your feet man Very Happy bummer it happened though.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
qwerksc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating damages: Broken engine ? Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen to me. 65 bug, flying in commuter traffic, then Bang! blew the rod, the thing shot a silver dollar sized chunk outta the case.
figured that was the engine rebuild light going off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: