Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1975 FI standard beetle newbie!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ricardosaurusrex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: 1975 FI standard beetle newbie! Reply with quote

Hello everybady!

HI everyone so a little about myself: you can just call me Rexy. I am from California and love working on cars. I have worked on several sporty nissans like the 300zx and 240sx and lenty of motorcycles. I dont have a degree in engineering or professional mechanic experience but i learn fast and love to solve puzzles, which is what led me to purchase a 1975 standard beetle.

I dont have any pictures of the car yet however i do have pictures of the engine which i will upload soon as i get some time. Very Happy

I wanna start off by saying thanks to everyone in advanced for having such a wonderful forum full of inspiring pictures and vast knowledge; Thank you!

Now onto the project. So i picked up this beetle after watching several youtube videos on how to remove the engine: looked fairly simple. then i got a wrench thrown into my straight foreward plan... this beetle is fuel injected Shocked i removed as much as i could with regards to the wiring harness and fuel injector connections. i am now stuck at removing things like hoses in order to drop the engine and unbolt the trans-axle. I definitely plan on keeping everything stock.

I was hoping one of you could tell me or show me what else needs to come off in order to remove the engine. (throttle cable has been removed as well) as well as what else should i change/fix/update in order to have a fully functional stock beetle engine.

Thank you! Wink
mergedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 FI standard beetle newbie! Reply with quote

I too recently purchased a FI Beetle. My first project was to drop the motor as well.

I watched the BugMe Video, found YouTube videos, and read plenty of forum posts here at The Samba.

Here's my thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650844

It's pretty obvious what needs to be unhooked, just label everything and go slowly, it was surprisingly easy.
Ricardosaurusrex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 FI standard beetle newbie! Reply with quote

Thanks thats pretty awesome, your vert bug looks awesome. but i have a question, where did you disconnect the fuel lines connecting to the FI's so that when you pull the engine down they dont get caught up. everything else i was able to unplug. i was thinking i could disconnect them from the rear most FI. though im not sure if thats correct. could you please shine some light on this part? thanks man.
mergedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 FI standard beetle newbie! Reply with quote

Ricardosaurusrex wrote:
Thanks thats pretty awesome, your vert bug looks awesome. but i have a question, where did you disconnect the fuel lines connecting to the FI's so that when you pull the engine down they dont get caught up. everything else i was able to unplug. i was thinking i could disconnect them from the rear most FI. though im not sure if thats correct. could you please shine some light on this part? thanks man.

There is a hose on the right lower behind the fan that needs to be disconnected, and another that runs behind on the left. They both have to be disconnected from the back side. I just climbed under while it was jacked up and you can reach right up and access them both. You can also pull out your throttle cable while you're under there, as well as any heater hoses and cables.

Climb under and look, you'll see the fuel lines.
Ricardosaurusrex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 FI standard beetle newbie! Reply with quote

alright, ill have to try this once i get home from work. thanks man, i appreciate it.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 FI standard beetle newbie! Reply with quote

Ricardosaurusrex wrote:

I recommend removing both intakes and the injectors will come with. Then while the intakes are out, replace the fuel hoses to the injectors. It is much easier replacing those little fuel hoses with the intake on a work bench then with the intakes installed. Also, remove the big black plastic oil fill tube before dropping the engine. FI engines are a tight fit and the more you remove the less chance you have for things getting caught and broke. I learned the hard way.
mergedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 FI standard beetle newbie! Reply with quote

Here are some notes and resource links I kept as I was planning on pulling my motor and doing my homework.

I didn't mess with my injectors while it was out, but I will the next time. I also damaged my old and tired engine/tin seal, so be careful as you lower the motor. I bought a new one after I installed my motor and realized how hard and brittle the old one was. Because it was so easy, I'm just going to drop the motor again and replace the seal this winter, and likely any other necessary tune-up stuff. Just trying to enjoy it while the weather is nice!

FI Engine Removal
- Resources
- Bug Me Videos
- Haynes Manual
- http://www.vw-resource.com/engine_removal.html
- http://www.type2.com/library/engineg/kuhn7.htm
- http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650844
- http://www.superbeetles.com/Tech_talk/oct.htm
- Label all wires
- Take photos
- Draw schematics where necessary
- Don't forget the second fuel line on the RH side above the starter
- While you are in there, it would be a good time to:
- Change out the fuel lines and the fuel injector seals.
- Change the battery to starter cables
- Clean the starter to the double relay cables and the chassis ground strap. Clean them using the wire wheel on a bench grinder and then coat them up with some "De-Ox" (I bought mine at the local HVAC supply place) 8 oz for$20.
- Look at the engine wiring harness that keeps the FI running. Pay special attention to make sure all of the "prongs" and the "sockets" on things that plug together.
- Remove the black plastic oil fill tube and the intakes that hold the injectors.
- Label the fuel lines at the tunnel, feed and return.
- Label all electrical connections with numbers or colored tape.
- These FI engines are a TIGHT FIT, so removing the distributor and the alternator pulley will help.
- While the engine is out check the tranny mounts. If in doubt replace them.
- One word of advice, replacing the rubber fuel hose at the injectors is much easier with the intakes off the engine.

Motor Pull
First get yourself a regular floor jack that will lift the car about 18 inches or more. Not one of those little $29.95 jobs that might work for an oil change or tire change. And get some sturdy jack stands.

Now place the jack between the engine and trans to lift the car. Don't lift it the complete length of the jack or the motor will be too high later. 

Set your stands under the torsion bar covers. 

Start by removing the fresh air heat pipes and air cleaner. 

Remove the generator wires. 

Remove the coil wire. 

There may be other wires from the coil to the carb and back up light fuse holder. Remove these as well. 

Remove the oil pressure wire.

Tag the wires if you think you might forget where they go back. 

Now loosen the accelerator cable and push it back through the tube. 

Unscrew the rear pan and remove it. 

The top engine mount nuts are behind the fan shroud at the upper corners of the engine case. You can barely see them. You just about have to just feel for them. On the pre 71 bugs you can remove them both from the top with a flat 17mm ratchet wrench. Sometimes you may have to have someone hold the bolt from the back side.

Now you are ready for the bottom. You will need to take a 17mm box end wrench, a pair of vise grips for the gas line (preferably needle nose), and a Phillips head screwdriver to stop it up with just to be sure. You will need to take either a 10mm or 8mm socket to unfasten the heater cable connectors depending on the model. If you have a later than 70 model you will need a 17mm socket on a 10" or longer extension and a ratchet to remove the top nut on the drivers side.

Once under the car you can remove the heat pipes by compressing them and pulling them loose. 

Reach up and pull the accelerator cable out and then pinch off the gas line and stop it up with the screwdriver.

Now unfasten the heater cables. 

To remove the top nut on the drivers side on the later bugs you have to reach up over the axle and along side the clutch cable with your long extension and 17mm socket. It is a little awkward.

All that is left now is the bottom nuts. 

Now you can come out from under the car and put the jack under the motor with just a little tension on it. 

Pull the motor back by the tail pipes. It may take a some wiggling and tugging but usually they will come right out. You may have to readjust your jack tension.

Balance the motor on the jack as you lower it down. Take it slow maybe in increments at first. Try to keep the motor tipped back so as not to catch the generator pulley on the body.

Lift the car from the rear part of the tunnel and pull the motor out from underneath. 

Putting it back is just the reverse. (Now I am sounding just like the books) It really is about the same. Lining up the bottom engine studs is about the only hard spot. The best advice I can give you there is to try to be sure you are pushing it back straight and level. The other advice is to get the video and watch us do it a few times first. If enough people learn this maybe we will start to see the engine pull contest at the shows again. Who knows? You can see this done in detail in our Vol.2 Motor pull/clutch repair video available from Bug Me Video.[/url]
Ricardosaurusrex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 FI standard beetle newbie! Reply with quote

Wow, thank you so much guys for all your knowledge. i finally found some time this week and started removing the exhaust from the engine. I am still having trouble locating the top two screws for the trans axle to engine. does anybody have any pictures of what the engine looks like attached to the trans axle? i look forward to uploading pictures soon sorry ive been super busy lately. Shocked Shocked
mergedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 FI standard beetle newbie! Reply with quote

Ricardosaurusrex wrote:
Wow, thank you so much guys for all your knowledge. i finally found some time this week and started removing the exhaust from the engine. I am still having trouble locating the top two screws for the trans axle to engine. does anybody have any pictures of what the engine looks like attached to the trans axle? i look forward to uploading pictures soon sorry ive been super busy lately. Shocked Shocked

Watch the BugMe Video, or look through the non-video version of it here:
http://www.superbeetles.com/Tech_talk/oct.htm

You can't really "see" either of the top two, but you'll be able to find them and remove them pretty easily.
Ricardosaurusrex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 FI standard beetle newbie! Reply with quote

you guys are F-ing awesome. i got the engine out and now im looking at taking the entire thing apart. One of the spark plugs blew out so im trying to source two cheap vw heads or just take it in to get them welded and rethreaded. does anyone know where i can take my head to get welded and rethreaded, im in the san jose, ca area. cheers to anyone in this area Very Happy

also, does anyone have a picture of what the engine wiring should look like? i took a picture of my engine when i started taking things off however i would like something to compare to as there were several wires already off when i started the job.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: also, how would i go about test starting my fuel injected beetle engine before putting it back in the car. i figure with the carburated engine its easy just power to the starter and boom. but not sure about the fuel injection. what would be the best way of testing it aside from putting it back in and cranking it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: