Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Correct" fog lights for my 1953
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spooky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: "Correct" fog lights for my 1953 Reply with quote

After recently seeing a photo of an early oval with fog lights I am wondering what would be period correct for my 1953?

In addition information of correct mounts would be good.

Thanks for any information!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '53 oval as well and I'm going with the Hella bumper guard/foglight combo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is:

Go through period pictures and find examples. Go to '53 catalogs from Hella, Bosch, Marchal, Lucas.......etc and then start looking on eBay or swap meets for those examples. There is not a "correct" set..............there are SEVERAL. I'm using Marchals. I also had a pair on an early Porsche. I like the smaller size compared to the Bosch or Hella examples.

Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRK wrote:
I have a '53 oval as well and I'm going with the Hella bumper guard/foglight combo.

Yes, they are by far the koolest and the rarest of all the fog lamp set ups of the 1950's.

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
FRK wrote:

Yes, they are by far the koolest and the rarest of all the fog lamp set ups of the 1950's.

Tom

Thanks,
I think so too!
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hella's are like just crazy expensive!

I'm really surprised that with all the reproduction going on from things, why no one has made a copy of these fog lamps with like $100 lamps, sell them for $200 with all mounting hardware and they would FLY out the door.........
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:

You're right, but not only expensive but rare. How many sets have you seen for sale in the last 5 years?
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRK wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:

You're right, but not only expensive but rare. How many sets have you seen for sale in the last 5 years?

I've seen a few mix/matched sets, but no correct Left/Right, similar patina, un-messed with sets, for sale ANYWHERE for years. Wink
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all of my collecting and living in Germany back in the US Army days, (1984 to 1993) since 1986, I have seen maybe 5 sets complete and one set this year makes it 6, they are truly rare and a lovely accessory item, I think the RAREST of all foglamp/driving lamp combo's and just beautiful looking on Zwitters and early European Ovals.

I wish they had made them for use on US-Export bumpers too, it would be one of the few extra items I'd like for Blauchen. Wink

Tom

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
FRK wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:

I've seen a few mix/matched sets, but no correct Left/Right, similar patina, un-messed with sets, for sale ANYWHERE for years. Wink

You're right Bob. I only seen the guards for sale a hand full of times but the matching foglights or the complete set, almost never.
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
In all of my collecting and living in Germany back in the US Army days, (1984 to 1993) since 1986, I have seen maybe 5 sets complete and one set this year makes it 6, they are truly rare and a lovely accessory item, I think the RAREST of all foglamp/driving lamp combo's.

I wish they had made them for use on US-Export bumpers too, it would be one of the few extra items I'd like for Blauchen. Wink

Tom

I seen 4 complete sets and I think 5 sets of the guards only for sale in about 25-30 years.
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another nice set of period correct foglights.
This are Bosch with amber nipple lenses.

50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRK wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:
In all of my collecting and living in Germany back in the US Army days, (1984 to 1993) since 1986, I have seen maybe 5 sets complete and one set this year makes it 6, they are truly rare and a lovely accessory item, I think the RAREST of all foglamp/driving lamp combo's.

Tom

I seen 4 complete sets and I think 5 sets of the guards only for sale in about 25-30 years.

Yeah, so what you have there is amazing Smile I have always had a fetish for these things ever since a 1954 L 276 Ultramaroon car with Hella Bumperlamps (Hella Stoßstangelampen) was offered me in 1987 in Germany (for $9,000) that time a KRAZY amount of money for an Oval, as we were buying them out of the German newspapers for $1,200 back then.

.....I wonder where that car is now? It had like 30k original KM's and also a rare Phillips Paladin 550 radio, those Yellow fog lamps and that Ultramaroon paint worked nutz together!

Is your car L 324 Polar Silver? That's another amazing color that should get more praise, it looks amazing on a Euro car and American ones as well.......I'm just soo glad to see SOMEONE out there has some Hella Bumperlamps that will be working again on a car, hopefully soon.

Tom
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRK wrote:

Ooo they look great too, really nice with the big early Bosch script, haven't seen those SINCE Germany either back in the early 1990's!!!! Smile
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
FRK wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:

Tom

Yeah, so what you have there is amazing Smile I have always had a fetish for these things ever since a 1954 L 276 Ultramaroon car with Hella Bumperlamps (Hella Stoßstangelampen) was offered me in 1987 in Germany (for $9,000) that time a KRAZY amount of money for an Oval, as we were buying them out of the German newspapers for $1,200 back then.

.....I wonder where that car is now? It had like 30k original KM's and also a rare Phillips Paladin 550 radio, those Yellow fog lamps and that Ultramaroon paint worked nutz together!

Is your car L 324 Polar Silver? That's another amazing color that should get more praise, it looks amazing on a Euro car and American ones as well.......I'm just soo glad to see SOMEONE out there has some Hella Bumperlamps that will be working again on a car, hopefully soon.

Tom

Don't know what color is since what you see there is a respray. In some areas looks like pastel green, other areas looks like dark green I RBI k the name of the color is Atlantic green and in other areas looks like metallic blue. All this colors are correct for '53.

I'm planing to run those hella bumper guard foglights once I restore my oval. I'm hoping it will be soon.
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRK wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:
FRK wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:

Tom

Tom

Don't know what color is since what you see there is a respray. In some areas looks like pastel green, other areas looks like dark green I RBI k the name of the color is Atlantic green and in other areas looks like metallic blue. All this colors are correct for '53.

I'm planing to run those hella bumper guard foglights once I restore my oval. I'm hoping it will be soon.

Ohh duh!!!! 1953, what was I thinking, Polar Silver is a 1956/7 color, sorry!

Both colors are HOTTTTT! That Green and well the Blue....

(L 35 Metallic Blue from another thread Smile )

The L 35 Metallic Blue is to die for, my favorite Metallic color after Ultramaroon, either way it will be kickass to see a set of the Bumperlamps in action, they were very expensive new, (that's why they are so rare now) cuz very few people in Germany even could afford them in 1953/4 and they were out of the accessory books so much I know by 1956......
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
FRK wrote:

Ooo they look great too, really nice with the big early Bosch script, haven't seen those SINCE Germany either back in the early 1990's!!!! Smile

Yeah, I think they look great and I'm planing on running them on my '55vert.

I'm thinking on using a setup similar to this.

50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
FRK wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:
FRK wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:

Tom

Tom

Ohh duh!!!! 1953, what was I thinking, Polar Silver is a 1956/7 color, sorry!

Both colors are HOTTTTT! That Green and well the Blue....

(L 35 Metallic Blue from another thread Smile )

The L 35 Metallic Blue is to die for, my favorite Metallic color after Ultramaroon, either way it will be kickass to see a set of the Bumperlamps in action, they were very expensive new, (that's why they are so rare now) cuz very few people in Germany even could afford them in 1953/4 and they were out of the accessory books so much I know by 1956......

Yeah, I love all three of those colors so it doesn't matter witch one is the of color of my '53. I got the birth certificate but it doesn't specified the color so I have to try and find it anywhere in the sheer metal. Either color would be great.
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRK wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:
FRK wrote:

Nice, I like how they will clamp to the upper towelrack

I'd like to put 1957 era Hella Yellow Fog's on my Blauchen, but I don't want to cut the dashboard for a switch.........

I'll explain to the OP, I was not planning on stealing the thread or anything like that intended, but since we are all on the subject of fog lamps on an Oval, does anyone have a suggestion of a way to run fog lamps in a car without cutting or drilling anyplace for a switch?

And well if you do have to cut, does anyone have any photos of what Hella switch would work mounted maybe next to the interior/dome light 3-way switch, next to the steering column like a Zwitteror a Kabrio has?
(I'm using a 3-way switch to work my Semaphores) - I'm interested in a Hella set up while everything on my car is Hella......ohh and I have to mount the lamps between my USFIG plate and the bumperettes.
(I like that set up with the clamps on the upper towelrack alot) I want to see what they look like mounted front the front of the car Very Happy

Tom

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
FRK wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:
FRK wrote:

Nice, I like how they will clamp to the upper towelrack

I'd like to put 1957 era Hella Yellow Fog's on my Blauchen, but I don't want to cut the dashboard for a switch.........

I'll explain to the OP, I was not planning on stealing the thread or anything like that intended, but since we are all on the subject of fog lamps on an Oval, does anyone have a suggestion of a way to run fog lamps in a car without cutting or drilling anyplace for a switch?

And well if you do have to cut, does anyone have any photos of what Hella switch would work mounted maybe next to the interior/dome light 3-way switch, next to the steering column like a Zwitteror a Kabrio has?
(I'm using a 3-way switch to work my Semaphores) - I'm interested in a Hella set up while everything on my car is Hella......ohh and I have to mount the lamps between my USFIG plate and the bumperettes.

Tom

Tom,
Yes, you can run another column switch and place it on the opposite side of the turn signal/semaphore switch. That's what I'm planing to do on both of my rides.
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: