Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Proper 8mm fuel-line for early 51 Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdk_1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject: Proper 8mm fuel-line for early 51 Beetle Reply with quote

I have replaced the 28 PCI carburator with the correct 26 VFIS. Unfortunately, my 8mm fuel-line doesn't fit. It's to short at the carb-side. I guess it was hand-built by the previous restorer to fit the 28 PCI with the conversion piece (or it was shortened to fit the 28 PCI). It's about 1" short now:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can buy an 8mm fuel-line, but it looks like it's made of copper. My current fuel-line has a normal metal color. What is supposed to be original? I have seen pictures of Hebmullers with copper-colored fuel lines, but also with the one that I have currently installed.

This is the one that I can buy in various shops:

What's the proper fuel-line for an early 1951 VW? I know it's 8mm, but what's the wall's thickness and which material should be used? If someone has the exact measurements, then that would be great.
rdk_1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Proper 8mm fuel-line for early 51 Beetle Reply with quote

I also would like to know, why the fuel-line has this shape. I noticed that older (KDF) cars have a direct line to the carburator. Is it to improve the flow?
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Proper 8mm fuel-line for early 51 Beetle Reply with quote

The originals were copper plated steel. Some of the reproductions are copper plated steel and some are just copper. Avoid the copper ones as copper can work harden and crack under vibration.

I would assume that the left handed loop was added to give it more flex so it wouldn't crack but that is just my assumption.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Proper 8mm fuel-line for early 51 Beetle Reply with quote

As you suggest, this shape will allow for expansion/contraction of the metal piping in two planes, one from the straight section into the carb, and the other straight section from the fuel pump. The accountants at VW would not have allowed the use of the extra piping, unless there was a need for it.

This shape, as you say, will help prevent thermal stresses & cracking: http://www.balseal.com/sites/default/files/tr18_020707131421.pdf and again the Coefficient of Expansion will depend on the metal used.

If you think about it, the temperature range within the engine bay varies considerably. Anything from a cold winters day, to driving down a motorway/freeway on a hot summers day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper 8mm fuel-line for early 51 Beetle Reply with quote

Yours looks like it will work. Bend it back to the shape it is supposed to be. The bottom flat needs to go up and top flat down. You are using the 8mm and not 6, or am I not reading right.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Proper 8mm fuel-line for early 51 Beetle Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Yours looks like it will work. Bend it back to the shape it is supposed to be. The bottom flat needs to go up and top flat down. You are using the 8mm and not 6, or am I not reading right.

I think Jason is right as your fuel line looks bended out of the right way. So you can be lucky, having an original working fuel line and don't need to buy a repro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rdk_1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Proper 8mm fuel-line for early 51 Beetle Reply with quote

I think mine was hand-made by the previous owner that restored the car. Bending it will probably break it. Maybe I could try to heat it up and try it. Thanks for the information.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Proper 8mm fuel-line for early 51 Beetle Reply with quote

Here I try to show you the way to bend in two steps:

Frontview: Both horizontal parts should be really horizontal.
View from Above:

Hope this helps
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: