Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmxanddie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Im just over in Eastlake and I would love to have a little fall meet up at Discovery. Do keep in mind though, there is the yearly fall meet up at marymoor park as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Whenever I plan to be at a VW event something else lands ontop of it and I can't go, so I'm leery of committing. I will probably miss Marymoor for that reason. BTW when is Marymoor? But if there are Vanagons getting together locally I'd do my best to show up. Discovery park sounds great.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
eirevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

dsdunbar wrote:
Found this SVX 3.3 engine listed on craigslist up in bellingham, picture shows it is already installed in a Syncro.

$4900 SVX/Vanagon conversion - $4900 (bellingham)
http://bellingham.craigslist.org/pts/5772774546.html

Ad:
Complete Subaru SVX engine removed from an 87 syncro VW Vanagon.

'96 Subaru SVX 3.3L Motor w/Power steering and AC pumps
30K on refresh, Timing belt, tensioners, Idlers, Seals, Igniters, etc...

Includes:
SC motor mounts w/ muffler bracket
SC Stainless exhaust with Cat and Muffler
Modified Air box for vanagon clearance.
Steel oil pan modified for ground clearance
KEP adapter, Flywheel, Stage 2 clutch
Computer w/ wiring harness modified for any T3/ Vanagon

4900.00 firm

I contacted him and engine is out of syncro. Seems it was more power than he wanted to deal with. Very Happy

eire
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

I would suggest a meetup at Larsens Bakery 8000 24th avenue Seattle.

There is a good sized lot across the street and any spillover could park on street.

Damn good coffee and Kringle, pretty authentic.

Sunday afternoon works for me. A convoy through discovery park wouldn't be a bad drive from there.

Or start at one and end at the other.

Always nice to have flexible refreshments on hand, and Larsens is worth the effort to drive in from the outer limits.

Alki would be nice as well, parking is at a premium though, unfortunately.

Not as bad in winter.

Neil2

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

I would love to do a meet up with you all...life is pretty unplannable with a 4yo and a 2yo but not impossible. I always love coming down to the seattle neighborhoods (Ballard, Fremont, west seattle, etc)

October 1? Or October 2? Earlier date? Time?

-Dana
Mill Creek
2dogs1van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Furrylittleotter: Larsen's Bakery as a meet-up place sounds great. I don't know it, so it would be fun to discover.
I threw the idea of a very local meet-up not to compete with the terrific area-wide Marymoor event in November but as a way for some of us in the local Seattle 'hoods to get to know each other before then. (And on a purely selfish note, I'm never here in Seattle in November since I'm driving my van cross country to Florida by then.)
If there's little interest in a meet-up, I'm at the Discovery Park south parking lot every morning at 8:30 walking my mutts, so feel free to stop me and say hi. Dove Blue syncro westy.
And I saw yet another beautiful greenish-brown white top westy this afternoon heading north on Magnolia Blvd while I was walking the mutts. I was wearing my "Westfalia Republic" t shirt at the time too!
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Fiberglass pop top for sale, $600 (just the top and skylight, no brackets)
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/5806619065.html

Also, can anyone weigh in on this thread of mine?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664869

-DSD
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Busdepot add a room tent...$100.00 (busdepot price: $400.00)
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/5844106922.html

link to bus depot product: http://www.busdepot.com/addg

not mine, and no interest for me but maybe others....
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Couple of interesting things on Craigslist this morning:

Front seat swap (looks like Town and country - $250):
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/5864747998.html

And then someone is parting their Syncro project - it is like a syncro kit...you get the shell and all the pieces in boxes to put together (minus an engine?)...but maybe some of the listed parts someone else could use:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/pts/5864374690.html

ad:
Up for sale is a ton of VW vanagon parts or the whole project. This was my dream build but I have fallen on financial hard times and it's got to go. The whole project is a 1984 vanagon westfalia which has been turned into a syncro(using a 1986 syncro donor). The van has no top on it as I was going to add a high top and it had no motor. Syncro transmission is included. I will sell many parts however for the moment I am selling the van body, syncro subframe and syncro specific pieces, as well as the transmission together. Currently the van is in storage, completely stripped down and ready for paint. Not a screw is on the van. I have too many parts too list included in this. A ridiculous amount of man hours and money were spent on this. Most of the metal parts on the van are powdercoated black(around $2k for that alone!). The full project is 10k. That comes with all the Vw parts and spares that I have. Tons of parts! Parts listed below I am willing to sell by themselves.

-2wd transmission $350 or $450 with 30 day warranty
- Rocky Mountain westy locking under seat storage drawers $250
-new metal front bumper cover $70
-hella 500 lights with black housing $150
-burley cv protection flaps $175
-new syncro speedo 0 miles! $225
-metal interior folding ladder $100
-new hookups and seals(air,water, power) $120
-abs interior panels $300
-Girling g60 dual pot calipers $120
-old man emu shocks 2 new 2 used $400
-smoked front turn signals $30
-smoked tail lights $100
-jail bars with mounting base powdercoated black $100
-syncro dash diff lock panel w/wires $200
- rubber flooring for van(used) $200
-syncro service training manual $60
-45L grey water tank $200
-syncro driveline with fresh rebuild $450
-super rare shift protection tube for syncros. Factory option! $250
-taillight blendas(black plastic fillin next to rear lights) rare. $120
-new pair FAG front wheel bearings $120
-new rear stub axle bearing FEBI pair $150
-new Burley high clearance hitch $350
-Custom new sewfine interior with Eurovan front seats. $1300
-Powerflex bushing set for syncro $700

Ridiculous amounts of other stuff!! Too much to list!! Searching for a part just let me know!

Located in the Brinnon area on the Olympic Peninsula but willing to meet in poulsbo/silverdale most of the time. Next Saturday 11/12 I will be willing to meet in the Seattle area. More pictures coming soon as I unpack more stuff.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

ENGEL MT-45 Fridge in Lynnwood: $750.00
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/5908069111.html

ad:
MT-45 Engel Fridge/Freezer. Has 12 volt and 120 volt plugs, also digital thermometer. Fridge/Freezer can be used for camping or at home. Excellent condition. $750.00. Thanks.
Skidub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

I couldn't find it posted up on their website, but if you follow PeaceVans on Instagram, yesterday you would have seen that they are looking to hire a General Manager for their Vanagon rental business.

It's not a professional move that I am prepared to make in real life, but in my van dreams I am all over it.

Hopefully they find a good Sambanista who loves vans and people to fill the position.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Skidub wrote:
I couldn't find it posted up on their website, but if you follow PeaceVans on Instagram, yesterday you would have seen that they are looking to hire a General Manager for their Vanagon rental business.

It's not a professional move that I am prepared to make in real life, but in my van dreams I am all over it.

Hopefully they find a good Sambanista who loves vans and people to fill the position.

I read that ad with interest. It looks like a young person or retired persons job. Working weekends providing great service to rental customers from around the planet as the vans have issues or renters need hand holding sounds like fun, if I wasn't so satisfied with a M-F (Friday's being nearly optional) gig.

You did just make me think of a possibly ideal candidate...

v_d, are you reading this?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Saw this today on CL. It is located in bellingham.

1988 tintop wolfsburg that looks immaculate from the photos. Doesn't run asking price is $2800.00

ad: http://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/5914259122.html

details from ad:
Much loved VW Vanagon. Wolfsburg Edition with table. Ran nicely when we got it but currently not running. Bamboo floor, curtains, stored indoors. We don't have time to tinker...need a winter project?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Want a Bostig conversion? Seller in Seattle totaled van and is looking to sell unaffected Bostig conversion. Here's the details...price is "best offer"

hope it helps someone

Ad:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/5923307589.html

My 1985 westfalia Vanagan was recently totaled. In it is a brand new bostig z tec engine conversion with 25000 miles. The enghine was completely unaffected in the accident seeings how I got t bones. Car runs great but the body damage is not worth the repairs I don't think. Not sure how much to charge for this but I know westfalia shops in Seattle charge about 10 grand to do the engine conversion themselves for parts and labor. Offer me what you think is fair.
mugford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Just got a note from the DMV about renewing the 'tabs' on my 86 tintop but I was wondering that given it'll be a 30-yr old vehicle next year, would it be better to classify it as a 'collectible' instead? Anyone done this? Its not a daily driver for me.

(new to the state and the various DMV rules)
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

mugford wrote:
Just got a note from the DMV about renewing the 'tabs' on my 86 tintop but I was wondering that given it'll be a 30-yr old vehicle next year, would it be better to classify it as a 'collectible' instead? Anyone done this? Its not a daily driver for me.

May be driven:
To and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings.
For testing purposes.
For the pleasure of others without compensation.

May not be used for:
Regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle.
Commercial purposes or to carry a load.

Be careful NOT to drive it in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle. If you have a special hat, wear it.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

"Special excursions" is an interesting category of use. All my Vanagon outings are indeed special excursions!

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

It sure seems like I am ALWAYS testing something.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Exactly!

Abscate wrote:

dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Hey Seattle folks...

I was wondering what you all do for preventing your lock cores from freezing during the cold nights? Obviously if you park in a garage it is a non-issue.

This week with the temps in the teens at night, all of my locks are frozen except for the rear hatch (so i look a bit foolish always entering my van through the hatch...but what ever).

I was wondering what you all do for preventing this? I searched the samba and the topic isn't discussed (at least couldnt find it on google). I also looked online for other cars and the recommendations were:
1) heat key to melt ice in core
2) apply Vaseline to key and insert into working core and operate the core
3) place a magnet on the lock outside
4) cover the locks with tape to prevent moisture ingress
5) spray WD-40 into the lock to prevent freezing
6) rub a key with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and insert key in working lock and operate lock to coat the internals w/ iso

Of the above solutions I read warnings against WD-40. The isopropyl approach I assume is using the low freezing point of alcohol...and I assume the vaseline coats the mechanism to prevent moisture buildup.

What do you all do (if anything) to prevent this? Thanks.

-Dana
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: