Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Curious why you didn't list "lock de-icer" --- in a spray can with the little red tube.

Ive been having freezing issues too, been trying to remember to get some lock de-icer.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

fair...the can de-icer is an obvious tool. While the issue is occuring in my driveway hence I have access to many things inside my house (can deicer) ....I feel there must be someway to deal with it when you're away from home. Say you travel to a friends overnight ....if the de-icer is in the van...then its problematic.

I guess I am trying to think of ways to prevent it from happening versus dealing with it when it does happen (but per my list, the first item of heating a key is clearly an approach for when it has already happened so the de-icer belongs on the list).

I'm hoping I will hear people do the alcohol or vaseline approach w/out issue....but vaseline seems like it will start to gum stuff up...
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

OK inside the van would be a problem. So "de-icer spray" doesn't offer preventative type benefits?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

I have always used Tri-Flow for door locks. It's good down to something like -60ºF. Tip the door lock flap down (or up), insert the nozzle in about 1" and hose it down. Work the lock a few times and repeat.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Awesome Chris, Thanks.

Christopher Schimke wrote:
I have always used Tri-Flow for door locks. It's good down to something like -60ºF. Tip the door lock flap down (or up), insert the nozzle in about 1" and hose it down. Work the lock a few times and repeat.

newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Every Fall, I wipe down all of the door weatherstrips and painted surfaces to clean them and apply Armorall to the weatherstrips and vasaline to the jams. Getting a phone call from my wife that she can't get into her vehicle and having to rescue her NOW is less pleasing than not being able to unlock the doors.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

(deleting for this was off topic of the forum thread)
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Burley Upper control arms for a syncro: $240 for the pair (needs additional parts)
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/5937749822.html
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Hobart Handler 120 MIG welder $220 on Craigs. You can weld steel with 120V.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/tls/5948976514.html

Hobart is a FINE machine. It will last you forever but every part is replaceable anyway. It's currently setup for flux-core welding. For nicer welds you'd have to buy a gas regulator and a gas bottle (for 75/25 AR/CO2) - that's some more bucks. But this machine can DO IT as is. It's probably worth > $300. You also have to buy an auto-darkening welding helmet.

dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am thinking about finally ordering my suspension parts (from T3 and VC). I am looking at the red koni shocks and VC regualr springs (just spent the morning reading the pages upon pages of suspension threads and it sounds like this setup is solid). Anyways, the point of this is the following from VC website where they are putting a pallet together ot ship to PeaceVans. Here's the details, looks like the order is to be sent in February, wanted to pass it along in case it helps anyone.

ALASKA - We intend to have a pallet of parts heading up to Anchorage Alaska before end of February 2017. This gives fair amount of lead time so if you're close to Anchorage (which means within 500 miles to an Alaskan) then here is your chance to get bulky items shipped at a big discount. Arctic Imports has offered to jump in and help with logistics. Please make contact as soon as you can. If you are from Fairbanks and willing to shuttle parts for others up there please make contact as you will get extra discount for your assistance. Make good use of cold winter - turn up the heater in the garage and get working on preparing the Vanagon for Spring travel !

SEATTLE - We are excited to partner again with our friends in Seattle, Peace Vans, to help defray shipping costs this holiday season. Order by middle of February, and we'll pallet up everything and split the shipping costs with Peace Vans as a thank you. Pallets will arrive at Peace Vans latter part of February, and Peace Vans will work with you on a pick up date at their shop in Seattle. Ask family to toss something on the pallet for you as a Christmas gift (you're doing them a favor - they have no idea what you want unless you tell them). Grab some heavy parts where the shipping cost has been holding you back.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:

Thanks for that tip, Christopher. I've always used Tri-flow for my non-chain bike parts, but never for a lock. I've been using the graphite "lock ease" stuff on my van, and while freezing is reduced it's not eliminated.
ejimmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Hobart Handler 120 MIG welder $220 on Craigs. You can weld steel with 120V.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/tls/5948976514.html

Hobart is a FINE machine. It will last you forever but every part is replaceable anyway. It's currently setup for flux-core welding. For nicer welds you'd have to buy a gas regulator and a gas bottle (for 75/25 AR/CO2) - that's some more bucks. But this machine can DO IT as is. It's probably worth > $300. You also have to buy an auto-darkening welding helmet.

Lol's, sodo is that your add? Heres another welder of the same caliber, I hear the seller will trade for syncro parts.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/tls/5954041366.html
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Not mine, no idea whose it is.

I had a Hobart 115 for several years way in the '90s. At some point I borrowed a Lincoln SP100, it welded thinner bodywork better than the Hobart 115 did.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Looking for 15" wheels. Anyone in the Seattle area have wheels for sale that would look good on a 4WD?

dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Looking for 15" wheels. Anyone in the Seattle area have wheels for sale that would look good on a 4WD?

I dont have any to offer, but I found these...maybe $80 for the whole set?
Bellingham:
http://bellingham.craigslist.org/wto/5950960393.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Those look pretty good! Wonder if I can erase the mercedes logo somehow? Do you know if they are 5x112 and the offset?

Thanks very much!!

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Those look pretty good! Thanks! Wonder if I can erase the mercedes logo somehow?

Yes! Very Happy

http://www.t3technique.com/lug-nuts-studs-and-bolts/wheel-accessories/custom-center-caps-(shallow)/

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Hahahah....this is a great question for Chris (T3). While the wheels might be cheap, the additional hardware might add $200 (ask Chris for details).

Mercedes and Audi are both 5x112 bolt patterns. Mercedes rims you need to drill the lug holes, audi you need to bore out the center...check out the first page of "What wheels fit" page that Chris (T3) authored.

offset seems pretty big (ET44) but that is from google searching and I can't guarantee that number.

But in short, reach out to T3 to get a world of info and great customer service =)

Sodo wrote:
Those look pretty good! Wonder if I can erase the mercedes logo somehow? Do you know if they are 5x112 and the offset?

Thanks very much!!

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

I think those are pretty rare rims, which are only found here in NA on '95 124 Special Edition models. The fact that they're 15" means that they're not very desirable for most MBs, and I'm guessing that they're not all that light either. Why do you want 15" vs 16"?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: The greater (greater) Seattle area is Happening Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I think those are pretty rare rims, which are only found here in NA on '95 124 Special Edition models. The fact that they're 15" means that they're not very desirable for most MBs, and I'm guessing that they're not all that light either. Why do you want 15" vs 16"?

Good info, thanks.

BFG 215/75R15 fits in an (easily) modified vanagon clamshell.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: