Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best street head to hit the market in many years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmar836
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Received mine about the same time as Brian. Look great! Mine were not the CNC so have no step. Has the same interesting casting marks in the chambers. Stem heights are within .005.
Dave
KC
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

dmar836 wrote:
Received mine about the same time as Brian. Look great! Mine were not the CNC so have no step. Has the same interesting casting marks in the chambers. Stem heights are within .005.
Dave
KC

Just to clarify, mine are as cast chambers bored to 90.5/92 and have the step pictured on the previous page. I'm thinking of boring the step to 90.5 + and running my cylinder deck at .020 - .025 so I can keep it tight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
32vsnake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Just ordered a set that will be bolted onto a 1915.... now the shipping/waiting game begins Very Happy
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

$ 30 for cnc chamber...holy shit batman, thats awesome.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

It's hard to imagine that CB has no way of removing the step if requested.
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

dsrtfox wrote:
It's hard to imagine that CB has no way of removing the step if requested.

I agree. My complaint is that the step was unexpected and doesn't fit my build plan. Now I have to perform and extra machining step to correct it.

The ad shows a "high quench chamber" which clearly has no step. I received a .020" step because they had to bore this set of heads in house. So far I have received an explanation but no resolution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

I agree that needs to be addressed.
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

My issue has been settled. All good. Now I can get to setting up the top end on my 2017!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

sweet.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

How was your issue settled ?
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

dsrtfox wrote:
How was your issue settled ?

I chose to machine them myself since I don't want to wait on another set of heads. I have been compensated for the additional work I will put into them.

I'm looking forward to running them. I think they will be perfect for my combo.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Good deal...
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

That's awesome that they compensated

Wonder how these would fair on my 2007cc tractor motor.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dmar836
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Guess I had better measure mine with no step then. They are supposed to be for 90.5s.
dmar836
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Mine are indeed cut for 90.5 and have no step. Non-CNC version shows a consistent 55cc across the board.
Has anyone been running these yet? Impressions?
Dave
KC
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

dmar836 wrote:
Has anyone been running these yet? Impressions?
Dave
KC

Bottom of page 6 is my report.

The heads are still kicking ass. He has about 3000 very hard miles on them now in the limo bus. He said it has been averaging 15-16mpg loaded with 12 people and probably weighing 6500lbs or more. It maintains speed on hills much better then the last engine without down shifting.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dmar836
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Nice work! Sure sounds like an odd use of a VW but certainly attests to it's ability. These are the first aftermarket vw heads I've ordered. I feel the slight ridge at the rapid 90 degree exhaust turn. Wondering if anyone has smoothed that?
Dave
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

be carfull messing with the short side turn on the ex if you dont know exzactly what can be done and not hurt the flow. it's simple but also simple to screw up. Ive somany good heads screwed up by somabody that thought they knew what they were doing.
as far as the buss b rian put them on thats a very good exzample of what a small port properly contoured can do. wish i could just buy a set to throw on my 2028 to see just how much better it would run.I know it's over ported as it is, 72 cc as I recall port volume on my mofoco's042's. but i just booked my europeen vacation (Milan Italy,Swizzzerland,Germany etc). so...probably no car more parts for a while....like I realy need more parts. Shocked
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

dmar836 wrote:
Nice work! Sure sounds like an odd use of a VW but certainly attests to it's ability. These are the first aftermarket vw heads I've ordered. I feel the slight ridge at the rapid 90 degree exhaust turn. Wondering if anyone has smoothed that?
Dave

Just leave them alone. Removing any of the small ridges in mine would not have shown any improvement on my flow bench. Only thing you will do is risk nicking a seat while you are in there. Then you will have to pay to get the seats re-cut locally.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Yo everyone! A little late on the news, but CB just released their Panchitos cast-in offset IDF manifolds and matching gaskets.

Manifolds
http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3162.htm

Gaskets
http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2788.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: