Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best street head to hit the market in many years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

dmar836 wrote:
Nice work! Sure sounds like an odd use of a VW but certainly attests to it's ability. These are the first aftermarket vw heads I've ordered. I feel the slight ridge at the rapid 90 degree exhaust turn. Wondering if anyone has smoothed that?
Dave

Anybody who understands what's going on in a chamber would. I do it to every set of heads that I use. Lightly hit the corner with a 2" disc and then smooth it out with a 3M Scotch Brite disc or similar. Leave the valves in to avoid seat damage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dmar836
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Brian and Mark,
Thanks! Sage advice and less work for me!
Dave
dmar836
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Bugguy, Sorry, we must have been typing at the same time. Thanks for the advice.
Dave
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

I just finished what I call the ultimate daily driver engine. It's a 2332cc with 8.8-1 compression, CB #2246 cam/Engle 130 clone, stock ratio rockers, 48 IDF weber carbs, 1-5/8 A-1 sidewinder exhaust and off the shelf Panchito heads with CNC chambers. I used our new Panchito intake manifold with the as cast port, it matches nicely to the Panchito head. This engine made 178 HP at 5500 rpm and 182 lbs torque at 4400 rpm at the flywheel. Put in a freeway flyer gear box and man what a nice driving car you would have!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Pat D on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
midtravelmidengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Pat D wrote:
I just finished what I call the ultimate daily driver engine. It's a 2332cc with 8.8-1 compression, CB #2246 cam/Engle 130 clone, stock ratio rockers, 48 IDF weber carbs, 1-5/8 A-1 sidewinder exhaust and off the shelf Panchito heads with CNC chambers. I used our new Panchito intake manifold with the as cast port, it matches nicely to the Panchito head. This engine made 178 HP at 5500 rpm and 182 lbs torque at 4400 rpm at the flywheel. Put in a freeway flyer gear box and man what a nice driving car you would have!

What would be the odds of getting you to make a head that is now geared toward the other half of all vw engines that will support +/- 130 HP from the 1600 (1585) to 1915 size.
something with say 37mm intake and 32mm exhaust ??? Cool Very Happy Very Happy

youngnstudly wrote:
I just wasn't sure if I should recommend the 1/3 race cam, the 1/2 race cam, or the 5/8 race cam instead...guess it depends on how much of the race he wants to lead???
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

I would think that head would be perfectly suited to that app. smaller valves making more power on smaller engines is longagointernetbscrapolawivestailsdipedinsquiblebymorons...... Shocked more in more out+more power as long as the port is not sized rong.and those heads have a small port volume. cb would be working backwards if they did that. why would you want to restrict the head flow at the valve??? thats stupid. just add a carb restrictor like nascar and let the heads breathe. Ill bet pat has already done some small motors with this head.
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see what these heads would do on a well built 1776.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Pat D wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wow! What vents are you running in the 48's?
How would those heads run with an FK45 with the upgraded springs in the same engine?
midtravelmidengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I would think that head would be perfectly suited to that app

Not trying to start an argument but are you really saying that a head that supports 180 hp on a 2332 is "PERFECTLY SUITED" to a 1776?? Really? It's 25% smaller...

Oh and I never said to restrict the head at the valve I was talking about casting a head with proportionately smaller ports and valves to further enhance velocity in the smaller motors of the size I stated.

youngnstudly wrote:
I just wasn't sure if I should recommend the 1/3 race cam, the 1/2 race cam, or the 5/8 race cam instead...guess it depends on how much of the race he wants to lead???
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

yup.
midtravelmidengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
yup.

Oh come on Mark, tell me how you really feel! haha Laughing

I think thats the smallest reply ive ever seen you type.

Can you please elaborate your reasoning? im always interested in learning something ive not thought of before.

youngnstudly wrote:
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
longagointernetbscrapolawivestailsdipedinsquiblebymorons......

long ago internet bs crapola wives tails dipedin squible by morons

I had to dig out the secret spy decoder ring out of the box of cereal to figure this one out.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

If on a 2332 hp peaks at 5500, then on a 1776 they will peak at 7200rpm.
That's just a simple comparison, and there a more factors to consider, but basically it's true.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Dave. thats "diped in squible " just another reason to stay away from old wives tails Shocked
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

modok wrote:
If on a 2332 hp peaks at 5500, then on a 1776 they will peak at 7200rpm.
That's just a simple comparison, and there a more factors to consider, but basically it's true.

So since the 2332 peaks at 5500, then isn't that W130 clone cam a bit to much for this combo? Maybe the peak would still be the same and have more low end grunt with a little less cam?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Yeah probably drop the cam down, but only a little, to a engle 125
Certainly could have 160+hp but you'd need a close ratio gearbox to make the most use of it.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

CC Shocked
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I had to dig out the secret spy decoder ring out of the box of cereal to figure this one out.

I keep getting "Be sure to drink your ovaltine"

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

hmm that decoder ring should of told you to use effing head gaskets too Shocked must be defective. Wink
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

look at the intake runner cc size. 1 cc more than a stock vw head. thats a lot of torque and fast air speed. smaller valves will just effup up a great head. but a internet ex~spurt building things in their head could probably get 700 hp out of it in thier head just by putting tiney valves in it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: