Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best street head to hit the market in many years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

I am also working on adding material and moving the stud hole locations for waterboxer case applications. All in due time sir, all in due time.....

I heard that!
I don't think you can beat this head, performance per $, but if you make a WBX pattern head you can beat them all Very Happy
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

hmm , my heads will take wet box pattern..... and I had smothered burreatoes tonight..
I think this new cb head will be awesome on dd,street,bus&mild race. it should pack some punch to bus motors with the small ports.
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Can someone explain why the heads are 12mm for the plug? Is it to prevent cracks? It's damn near impossible to get a thermocouple for the VDO CHT gauge. I assume someone is trying to tell me that the VDO is junk and I should buy something better? In years past I have seen a few guys bitch, grip, moan and complain about 12mm heads. I didn't understand what the problem was until a few years ago when I got mini-wedge ports. I love the power they make, but I hate the lack of product support for a 12mm thermocouple from manufacturers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

longer threads and more material between the plug and seat which prevents cracking.
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

JasonBaker wrote:
Can someone explain why the heads are 12mm for the plug? Is it to prevent cracks? It's damn near impossible to get a thermocouple for the VDO CHT gauge. I assume someone is trying to tell me that the VDO is junk and I should buy something better? In years past I have seen a few guys bitch, grip, moan and complain about 12mm heads. I didn't understand what the problem was until a few years ago when I got mini-wedge ports. I love the power they make, but I hate the lack of product support for a 12mm thermocouple from manufacturers.

get some 12mm ring connectors and just recrimp the thermocouple wires. Bam! next problem?
smkn_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Yep thermalcouple material ring connectors and test before and after if readings wandered.

Hello head builders...we need heads with #3 spark plug hole slotted to hold the ring connector from spinning, always have to request this mod.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

this thread lists some links to vendors for 12mm senders

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541800
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

I also feel the 12mm plugs are not necessary and the Pachino heads should have 14mm plugs. The Mexican 043 heads never had problems with 14mm plugs. There are far more choices for 14mm plugs and they last much longer with less fouling problems.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

the few sets of Banditos AND Panchitos ive seen had the 14mm long thread plugs
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

All of the "problems" mentioned so far can be fixed easily.

You can drill and tap spark plug holes bigger but it's real hard to tap it smaller Wink
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

motorcycle,lawnmowder,japaneessee cars.plugs shouldent be that hard to find.I didnt have any issue. google?ebay? cb perf? hondashop?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Longer 12mm plugs is the way to go. This gives more meat away from the seats.

Now if Pat can just move away the exhaust seat a few thousandths, that will be golden. We can really 'open up' the heads for some really big valve combos.

How about it Pat? Is that a possibility in the future for the Type I application or Waterboxer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

ya move the intake toward the center and upward (higher in the bore)and the ex toward the center and downward (lower in the bore)...and cant then a tad.... I think what he has hear is a great new head. I dont see a twisted head in acvw's future for mass production....althought it should be Shocked Cool Wink Rolling Eyes
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

I wish someone would make a nice compact overhead cam set up, so we can swap cams at the track...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

You mean a subaru? just kidding. (but they do have same bore spacing, so......you could)
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
this thread lists some links to vendors for 12mm senders

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541800

nothing special required.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/321165/A27160-ND/292668

FYI, the VDO sender is J-type thermocouple. you can buy rolls of the thermocouple wire off ebay for cheap Smile
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Pat, are you still watching this thread?

do you have any more builds to share with us where you have used this head?

how versatile is this head? many people run 40x35 on small engines like 1776's but most people believe they need 42x37 or even larger on 2200 and up. Can this head be used out of the box on a spirited 1776? with the conservative port volume and high intake velocity, it should work relatively well and not sacrifice too much low rpm performance? With that, you have also used these heads on large engines and made very impressive numbers. With the ever-evolving technology of head design, are we seeing that huge valves and big carbs are less needed for high performance STREET heads? obviously a 40mm intake valve has a limit to how much air can flow past it (unless of course you keep lifting it, but this is not practical) so for much higher rpm applications bigger valves are needed? In real world street driving, how often do people shift gears at or above 7000?
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Pat, are you still watching this thread?

do you have any more builds to share with us where you have used this head?

how versatile is this head? many people run 40x35 on small engines like 1776's but most people believe they need 42x37 or even larger on 2200 and up. Can this head be used out of the box on a spirited 1776? with the conservative port volume and high intake velocity, it should work relatively well and not sacrifice too much low rpm performance? With that, you have also used these heads on large engines and made very impressive numbers. With the ever-evolving technology of head design, are we seeing that huge valves and big carbs are less needed for high performance STREET heads? obviously a 40mm intake valve has a limit to how much air can flow past it (unless of course you keep lifting it, but this is not practical) so for much higher rpm applications bigger valves are needed? In real world street driving, how often do people shift gears at or above 7000?
I like to use heads with small intake port volume like the Panchito on bigger engines with big cams. You will never see huge HP numbers at 7000 rpm and above like a large valve, big port head compared to a 40x35.5 valve Panchito. But, you will see impressive HP numbers starting allot lower in rpm and carry through 6000 rpm. This makes for a great running street engine and with the cooling efficiency of a stock head casting, heat shouldn't be an issue.
On smaller engines, the panchito runs great. I have built 1776cc engines, 1915cc engines and many 2005 and 2110cc engines with them. I can post some more dyno graphs on these engines when I get a little time here at CB
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Sales on these heads must've skyrocketed. Flow numbers and engine build combos to compare . Affordable off the shelf heads with great flow numbers as cast. Easily putting out near power numbers of what a 42 valved head would do. Next ground up engine that I get to do without a head choice, I'm going to give this one a whirl.
This is a perfect small cc performance build or bus engine build head in my eyes.
Keep the tech details coming. Need a samba member to build with it with their example and post what they can pull from it. Who's it gonna be ?!

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pizza Eater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best street head to hit the market in many years Reply with quote

Hello Mr Downs,
Do you have dyno numbers for these heads on a 2110 with a 2288 (K8) cam?
How about a 2292 (FK-10) cam?
Thank you for your time.
-Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: