Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 hot
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rex lucy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Type 3 hot Reply with quote

my t3 engine run too hot on the 3 and 4 cylinders. so hot the gas in in that carb boils. valves adjusted , timing set at 5 degrees advance, running a 010 distributor,all air shields are intact. dual carbs, electric pump, 80 miles on rebuild, no evidence of vacuum leak. could it be float level valve in the carb for 3 &4 flooding. cylinders 1 & 2 run at about 170 degrees while 3 & 4 run over 210.
got me scratching my head.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: type 3 hot Reply with quote

80 miles is not enough to be broken in yet. It will get real hot while you are breaking it in

distributor should be 28-30 degrees at full advance, not 5 static. Try that and let us know
stonecoldcars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: type 3 hot Reply with quote

Sounds like it's running to lean on that bank.
Rex lucy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: type 3 hot Reply with quote

i've got a old time timing light so i reset timing to 0 degrees and reset that carb to a richer mixture. resetting timing reduces performance somewhat but will do a longer drive to check.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: type 3 hot Reply with quote

You can't just set it to zero. you need to do 28-30 degrees at full advance. 3K RPM's. Thats how you time a mechanical only distributor

what pully do you have? what timing marks? Generally 2 and a half "humps" over from zero is what you aim for at 3K rpm
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: type 3 hot Reply with quote

Yup, it's just like timing an 009 distributor. Set the timing at 28 to 30 degrees at 3,000 rpms, and let the idle timing fall where it will.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Rex lucy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 hot Reply with quote

Sounds ok to me only can someone tell me how far 28 degrees would be from tdc. its a stock t3 with stock timing hole. i guess i will invest in an updated timing light that i understand can be set to get that setting without measuring. etc. thanks for response will update outcome.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 hot Reply with quote

Rex lucy wrote:
Sounds ok to me only can someone tell me how far 28 degrees would be from tdc. its a stock t3 with stock timing hole. i guess i will invest in an updated timing light that i understand can be set to get that setting without measuring. etc. thanks for response will update outcome.

Like Erik posted above, 2 1/2 humps to the right of the "0" mark on the pulley.
I think it works out to being about 2.5 inches to the right of "0".
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Rex lucy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 hot Reply with quote

well , finally got an advance timing light and timed it to 28 advance but still did not improve. after much head scratching and reviewing the manual and researching Samba I checked those short connecting rod on each side of the carbs. one was 1/4 in longer than the other making carbs out of adjustment except a idle. all is cool now. even got the capri top installed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 hot Reply with quote

Rex lucy wrote:
well , finally got an advance timing light and timed it to 28 advance but still did not improve. after much head scratching and reviewing the manual and researching Samba I checked those short connecting rod on each side of the carbs. one was 1/4 in longer than the other making carbs out of adjustment except a idle. all is cool now. even got the capri top installed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glad you found your problem. The capri Top looks good. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: