Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bertie-bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
sodbuster wrote:
the hardest part was physically getting the new bearings in. they are close tolerance and essentially a press fit. it's easy enough to pound something apart. The finesse comes into play putting it all back together.

A length of all thread, a couple of nuts and an assortment of washers and sockets pulls them into the housing in a most civilized manner Wink

In Ukraine this operation is performed with a banana, a willow branch, and monkey feces dried in the sun.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I found freezing the bearing and heating the housing with a torch works great. Mine slid right in with no pounding or any special tools. Don't forget the spacer. Wink

^^^ This. Works almost every time.

Also, the 1 13/16" socket will be much easier to find than 42 mm. Likely much cheaper, too.
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Hey guys, time for an update. We're cozily holed up for the weekend, thanks to the awesome TheBusAndUs (just drove from Alaska to Argentina in a Bay and are back now, you might have heard of them Smile Oh wait, I already mentioned them before. Nevermind.)

Yesterday we had a very sorry and unsuccessful attempt on the bearings in a trailhead parking lot in the rain, got as far as CV joints off, one fell apart and as this was the first time I had seen one from the inside, we spend the rest of the day getting it back together (needless to say, I felt pretty stupid. Well, now I know how they work and can repack them good and nicely later this weekend).

Got much further today, currently trying to get the old bearings out. They resist quite a bit, but I'm sure they'll give up eventually. We also have a little bit of an issue with the circlip (the inner one, don't have an outer one), it's stuck on one side between the inner bearing and the housing. I can squeeze it together fine, but it won't come out. I'm sure we'll get it out eventually, but it looks like it shouldn't be that way. Does that just happen sometimes?

Hope to get it done tomorrow, will let you know!
Sven
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Sven..it's possible to get the CVs back together but not right. There is a correct orientation of the inner and outer races. It's easy to test, the joint will move easily over all angles of to tilt when correct( not too much or your balls fall off)

Shocked

If it's wrong they lock up.

That bearing clip and parts will yield yo up your efforts tomorrow
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Big tapered C-clips can be a bitch- but it is broke loose, so produce a gap and put a flat screwdriver in it and work it round the ring in a circular motion till its free.- sometimes a good smack on the bearing -back into the hub will release it.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Sven..it's possible to get the CVs back together but not right.
Shocked

If it's wrong they lock up.

That's how I put them together first and was confused about why it wouldn't move right. Took it apart again, used our spare as a model and realized where I had gone wrong. But they are all going to be cleaned and relubricated now anyways, so I have another chance to do it right (or not). Thanks for the hint, I will take extra good care to make sure they go in the right way. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Okay, we've found the (likely) culprit of our noise, the outer bearing's races look pretty beat-up.

Here's another quick in-progress question over lunch: The housing has some grooves where the inner bearing sits in (see pic). Additionally, the stub axle has a tiny groove where the inner bearing sits on it as well (see other pic). The bearing itself seemed fine (but is getting replaced now, as we have a new one), but these grooves make me wonder. Are these grooves something I should be worried about when I reuse the axle and put everything with the new bearing back into the housing? Or is there something I can do to further protect them?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Inside of bearing housing

Stub axle

Thanks as always!
Sven
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

The stub axle doesn't look horrible, but that housing has some real issues, if it's loose enough to cause spalling like that it's really worn and can't be trusted as is. If you can't find a replacement as well as a qualified shop to do a rear wheel alignment after installation you need to explore some of the repair chemicals available for heavy equipment with similar damage. Locktite has a range of specialized products for glueing a bearing back into an oversized bore for example, there must be a mining or earth mover supply store close to you with a solution.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Looks like the bearing has been spinning in the hub? Bad. A new bearing needs to be locked in tight. I guess if you don't mind risking the price of a bearing you could JB weld it in and monitor it.

Have someone here fab a good spindle and bearing as a backup and get ready to send it out if that's in your budget
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
sodbuster wrote:

A length of all thread, a couple of nuts and an assortment of washers and sockets pulls them into the housing in a most civilized manner Wink

Weld the old bearing together, use the stub axle as a slide hammer to install the new one. Laughing

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
sodbuster wrote:

Weld the old bearing together, use the stub axle as a slide hammer to install the new one. Laughing

Now that's some ghetto looking welding there bro, most uncivilized Surprised
The inner bearing can put up with quite a bit going in, it's the outer roller bearing on the 71+ models that requires the royal treatment, if it gets sideways going in it's toast and it doesn't tolerate hammering either, although your Maguyver slide hammer would definitely work roadside if there weren't other options available. Cool

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Now that's some ghetto looking welding there bro, most uncivilized Surprised

It was really awkward to do without a vice, also I was sober. Installed well and is still rolling I guess Laughing

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Sven and Emma,

That does not look to me like operational damage in the wheel bearing housing. It looks like someone was hitting the housing with a drift punch at an angle going around and around.

You will know if the bearing risks rotation in the housing when you seat it during installation. It will resist your tapping it in until the last 5mm or so, then it suddenly loosens and seats against the shoulder of the wheel bearing housing. IF it is loose in that final moment, you need to decide if you want to:

a) make it stationary by tapping it back out 10mm or so, then applying stud and bearing mount (LocTite red) to very clean housing surface where the bearing seats, then tap in bearing to final location.

b) allow that the bearing may rotate in the housing and just make sure that the bearing and the housing are well-greased.

I just did rear wheel bearings last week in Portland OR and CVs the day before yesterday in Eureka CA. We're representin' . . . Very Happy
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
It looks like someone was hitting the housing with a drift punch at an angle going around and around.

Mh, makes me wonder if I did that.. but don't think so really, I didn't need to hit that bearing much, it came out pretty easily (also not really a good sign I guess).

We ended up using Loctite for the new bearing. Blue was all we had, so that's what we used. We could have JB Weld-ed it, but felt like we would rather be able to remove the bearing in case it breaks again one day.

Current status: Struggling to get the outer bearing in. Any time I start it, it goes in crooked and pops back out when I try to adjust by tapping the other side. The metal is so flimsy that it acts almost like a spring. Tried freezing it (doesn't seem to change, we don't have a torch to heat the housing), but to no avail. We JB-Welded the old outer bearing's outer race to the old inner bearing and tried to use it as a slide hammer, adapting Brian's idea, but due to the slight difference in size of the inner and outer bearing that doesn't work well. Can't recommend this for the outer bearing.
Tomorrow we'll hit the hardware store and build a press/puller following Busdaddy's method. We'll see how that goes.

At least we used the downtime ( = waiting for JB Weld to set) well and repacked our driver side CV joints. Wheee!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

All thread. big washers and the socket- your off to the races.- bearing that is.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

There's a good reason william is repeating this post.

Very Happy Very Happy
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
All thread. big washers and the socket- your off to the races.- bearing that is.

Yes this is how I went about getting my rear wheel bearings in as strait as possible. Plus given the pic of the bearing housing you posted I would also put the inner bearings back together using some of this!

Loctite 640 sleeve retainer. This will work better in this application than their bearing retainer (620) or the ever popular stand by good ol' red loctite will. As it "restores fit to out of tolerance assemblies."
[/img]
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

^^^ I have used that on a loose crank pulley sand seal. Good stuff!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Number 640 official listing

Extemded Mount Mollifier Adhesive
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Hey guys,

whohoo, we are reporting from the road again! We had a few frustrating hours yesterday morning when trying to get that outer seal in. We rented a bearing drive set from O'Reilly, built a makeshift press, but it was too fiddely, tilted a lot a wanted to drive the bearing in crooked. We thought there might be a tiny lip in the housing that the bearing wouldn't want to go over, so we filed a little bit on the edge (just on the very edge, not where the bearing actually sits), then we found a torch, heated the housing, but nothing worked. Emma happened to be on the phone with Robbie (asiab3 around here), Dillon and I tried to get the bearing in another time, the heat maybe had widened the housing finally, and then Dillon just punched it a little harder and in it went, straight, no problems, like there had never been a problem. I don't know which of these things it actually was, but the combined bus power somehow made that bearing comply.
Anyway, after that it was all pretty straight reassembly and later in the afternoon we rolled out of the driveway. Driving it so far feel great, no whoo-ing, no howling. We are happy to be back on the road. After all the mechanical stuff, expect some travel pics again in the coming posts! Smile
Thanks everybody for your help and patience with us!

Sven
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 27

Jump to: