Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eighty horses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

You guys are doing great, nice job persevering and figuring stuff out!
Eskimotom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Makes me want to pull and replace my bearings while my bus is in the safety of my garage. Say hi to my mom while you are in Anchorage.

If you have the time, make a side trip down to Homer and leave a dollar on the ceiling of The Salty Dog. I highly recommend the glacier flight over Seldovia.

My mom is from Bethel. But like the old timers say, you can't get there by bus, unless you put it on a boat. Safe travels and pay attention to the moose crossing signs.

Eskimo Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Tom...I'm thinking this is one of those items you hold as a spare at home base
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Hey guys,

in all the brake and wheel bearing issues over the last week, the whole trip thing got a little lost here on the thread. Let's recap. We took the Alaska Highway up to Skagway, approximately a month ago now. Skagway is a nice (if a little touristy) tiny town by the sea. The funny thing about it: It is in the US, but is surrounded only by the ocean, and Canada. The only road that leads here takes you to Canada, and the only other option to get away is to take a ferry, which is what we did. But not before we met Andre, Vanagon owner and fellow vanlifer. It's always awesome to meet other like-minded people Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Finally, Alaska!

Meeting Andre and his vanagon

The ferry we took to Juneau, capital of AK, and the only US state capital that cannot be reached by road. Right next to the town is Mendehall glacier, where we hiked to and found some amazing ice caves (more pictures are on our Facebook page!). These things are just really really stunning and crazy, water and rock dropping all around you, but the beauty of it! Pretty awesome.

Ice caves. Absolutely amazing. Our FB has more pics!

Then the road took us via ferry to Haines all the way to Anchorage, where we mostly tackled our wheel bearings, but also took trips to Whittier (very weird town, used to be a secret Military base in WW2, only reachable by a one-way railroad tunnel. You drive through it, just one lane, tracks on the floor for the trains, everything is wet. Weird, but cool. The town itself is tiny, most people live in one big apartment building, there is a large train yard and the harbor, and that's it. But they have a nice glacier you can walk to, that is pretty cool, also enormous amounts of berries with which we filled our tummies. Yummie!

Whittier bay panorama

Just another Alaska panorama. It kinda looks like this everywhere here Smile

Once the wheel bearing were done, we took south to the Kenai and went to Homer, where we are now. It kinda rains all the time (that seems to be a thing in southern Alaska), but they have a good brewery, that makes up for it. That's it for now, we'll report back in a few days!

A moose just here in town in Homer

Peaceful scenery in Homer

Sven
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Happyfolk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Congrats! Awesome pics!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
There's a good reason william is repeating this post.

Very Happy Very Happy

APOLOGIES --- Rolling Eyes
My computer has a mind of its own and is working from "free wi-fi" here in Quartzsite-- also the Yuma Testing facility uses us for guinea pigs on an occasion-

The wi-fi uses morse code to stream stuff- so my screen "re-sets" it's connection all the time-

If I post something the computer likes- Applause it will post it again in case somebody missed it-- If I post something stupid, wrong or embarrassing Embarassed Embarassed - it will gleefully post it many times.

SO- sorry to Everett for having to wipe up the mess- and I will do it if it is immediate- Crying or Very sad but my only choice would be a hotspot of my own and THAT- would take a way from my parts budget Rolling Eyes

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Super job- how bad were the mosquitoes???

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Moskitos haven't been all that bad so far, but we are now in Fairbanks and on the way up to the Arctic, we've heard it gets really bad there...
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

GoBigEmma wrote:
we are now in Fairbanks and on the way up to the Arctic

My son and I will be road tripping for about a week around B.C the first week of September. Maybe we'll catch you out on the road. Safe travels.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

GoBigEmma wrote:
Moskitos haven't been all that bad so far, but we are now in Fairbanks and on the way up to the Arctic, we've heard it gets really bad there...

The reason I ask is - each bite on me swells up the size of a dime- and itches- and I have to balance that with the "See where I went" gene that irritates my brain once in a while.

You guys look like your having a ball and if I see bright yellow on the road I'll honk---(if it's working) or flash my lights (if there working)--- pull over for a Wink beverage anyway.

Don't step in any!
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

RONIN10 wrote:
My son and I will be road tripping for about a week around B.C the first week of September. Maybe we'll catch you out on the road. Safe travels.

That would be sweet. Depends on how far north in BC you will go though, I think we will still be pretty high up by then.

Speaking of north... it is time to hit the Dalton tomorrow! We spent today doing some car-wellness. Oil change, new air filter, front end greased, points adjusted. We tried to source a second spare tire here in Fairbanks, but no luck, so one is all we have. The plan is to see how the road is, make it at least til the Arctic circle and consider turning around if we kill one tire, which would leave us without a spare. I'd much rather have the second tire, but we don't, so we'll make do without.

Let's hope for the best, a nice ride, some wonderful views, and no breakdowns! We'll let you know how it went when we're back down. Send the search parties if you don't hear from us in 10 days Wink

Sven
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Get a flat repair kit with plugs and glue or even an inner tube

Easier to store than a tire.

Good luck E,S, and BE!
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Get a flat repair kit with plugs and glue or even an inner tube

Easier to store than a tire.

Good luck E,S, and BE!

Thanks! We have the repair kit. Getting on the road now, wheeeeee! Smile
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

GoBigEmma wrote:
That would be sweet. Depends on how far north in BC you will go though, I think we will still be pretty high up by then.

Current plan (at the moment) is to leave Seattle on the 5th, spend a couple days on Vancouver Island, then possibly take the ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert. From there, we start meandering back south through Whistler and such. If it doesn't happen, no worries, just let us know if/when you're coming through Seattle, maybe we can coordinate a Greater Seattle Bus Gathering to coincide with when you're in the area.

Quote:
We tried to source a second spare tire here in Fairbanks, but no luck, so one is all we have.

If you still want a second spare after departing the Artic, I do have extra one in the garage that is more than I need, you could take it along with you from Seattle onward.

Safe travels.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Hey Sambaverse,

we're back in civilization! What an adventure it was. Sometimes easier than expected, sometimes much harder. The bus gave us some trouble, enough to have us decide to not go all the way up to Prudhoe, but make Wiseman, approx. 80 miles north of the arctic circle our turnaround point. Still, it's absolutely wonderful up there and we had a great time.

I'm gonna post some pics here first, then the next post will have all the mechanical stuff and I will bombard you with questions. Wink

About 85 miles out of Fairbanks, here's the start of the Dalton. Of course we'd have to stop for some pics Smile The dirt on the ground is basically what most of the highway looks like. Some parts are paved (see below), but the majority is definitely gravel and dirt..

It's quite some distance to cover.. and don't forget to turn your headlights on!

About 100 miles into the Dalton, we crossed the Artic circle. Alaska loves their big wooden signs, and so do we!

Probably the most stunning thing about the Dalton is the incredible emptiness of the land. Except for the road and the Alaska Pipeline, there is just nothing here, but nature. Awesome.

Wiseman, our northernmost point on the trip. A tiny village (population something like 20) in the middle of nowhere.

So, how to people get around in Wiseman? They just have planes in their backyards. Smile

But around Wiseman and Coldfoot (only town with a gas station between Mile 0 and Prudhoe Bay), the road is actually pretty sweet and sometimes even looks like this.

It is beautiful up there, and especially if you can make it further up north to the tundra it is supposed to be even better. Can only recommend this trip, even in a bus Smile

Okay, this is the sweet part, next post will have the troubles and questions Smile

Sven
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Okay, here we go with the trouble part. It's a bit long and has a lot of different stuff in it. Sorry for that, we're happy about any answers we can get. Smile

Trouble #1:
On day 2, about 20 miles in we heard a "clonk" somewhere close to the right rear wheel. We stopped, looked at everything, but we couldn't find anything. 5 miles further, another "clonk" in the same spot, followed by a much stronger one we could even feel. We pulled over, jacked up the wheel and could hear the sound irregularly while spinning the wheel. Decided to disconnect the driveshaft and found out the CV joint on the tranny side had trouble turning. Luckily we had a spare, replaced it and the clonk was gone.
I'm somewhat confused if it really was the joint, because the one we took out didn't have any heavy grooves or anything, and what people describe when a joint goes didn't seems like our clonking. Mh.. Rolling Eyes

Trouble #2:
Our left rear brake was getting hot again, so we decided to adjust it. Spinning it revealed a clattering noise. Remember the nuts that our e-brake lever was attached with from a few page back? Yeah, they came off and bounced around in the drum. We gotta get whatever it is that is supposed to be there, but for now we lock-tited (is that a word?) them back on. The drum has some bad grooves carved by the bouncing nut, we'll have someone here look at it and maybe machine it. But wait, it gets better.

Trouble #3:
Wheel back on, out for a test drive! Up a hill, turn around, starting down, clonk-clonk-clonk! We thought, f*ck, it wasn't the joint, it's back. Then a really loud clonk and scratching and stopping. What happened? A wheel fell off. Yap, I know. How did that happen? Well, in the whole excitement about getting out on the road, I forgot the part where you tighten the lug nuts really well after letting the car off the jack. Yeah.. here's the part where you laugh really hard at my stupidity, I for sure did.
Anyway, we luckily found all our lug nuts, we jacked the car again, put the spare wheel on and that was it.
Now that we are back, it's time to assess the damage. We were going really slow when we lost the wheel, so it was only about 10 feet of "driving" on backing plate and drum. Still, the low end of the plate has pieces missing and the drum has some serious scratches on the outside. The wheel needs balancing (lost the wheel weight) and the rim has a big groove.
So, here are my questions:
- The backing plate lost the lip that curves around the drum on the end that touched the road. I'm sure it's not great, but I assume that's OK to drive for a while, it's just there to keep dust out of the brake assembly. Is that correct?
- The drum took a beating, it ran on the asphalt for a few revolutions. But it seems like a sturdy piece of metal and it spins without touching anything. I would say it should be fine if we're getting it machined (which we're doing anyways because of the grooves caused by the kamikaze nut from the e-brake lever). Do you agree?
- We'll have the rim checked and balanced. Hope that it's fine, we'll see what the tire place says.
- The threads on the wheel hub bolts (what the wheel goes on, is that what it's called?) also took a beating. The nuts still go on, but it's kinda hard to get them on. Can you replace the bolts without the hub, or can they be re-threaded?
- Is there any other part we are not thinking about that is likely to have been damaged?

The backing plate that rode the asphalt for a bit.

Trouble #4:
The list is a little longer. We also noticed that our front tires are wearing very unevenly. While the outside looks fine, the tread on the inside of both tires is pretty worn. I guess our wheels are not aligned very well. I haven't read about it yet, but that seems like something we should (get?) corrected pretty soon. Also, those tires don't look all that save to me. My car history doesn't go very far back, so I have no experience here, how long can you drive tires without having them blow up?
I've seen cars in the States with almost no tread on their tires, but then again I also see blown tires all along the highways... Confused
We want to get new tires anyways, so this might be a good time, the only questions is if we get them here in Fairbanks or if we wait til later and further south.

Trouble #5:
And finally: We've been noticing wet spot on our tranny, both on the front and the rear seal. It seems like another task for the lower 48 is changing those seals, but for at least one of them the engine has to come out, so I'd like to do that in the course of a larger make-over later in Cali. We're keeping an eye on the oil level, so we hope it can wait until the south. Do you agree/disagree?

Pew, that's it for now I think. We will spend some more days in Fairbanks, does anyone know about a trustworthy VW shop or someone knowledgeable around here that could have a look at stuff?
Thanks for reading through this monster-post, and thanks for your help as always!

Sven

Last edited by GoBigEmma on Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

You really should replace the studs, nuts and the drum, the studs can be done with the hub installed, a good used drum would be my first choice. You'll also want to have a really good look at the rim, if the lug nut holes are worn or ovaled it's toast. You may also have to file the centering boss on the hub to get the drum off of it, loose wheels sometimes form a lip that makes the drum a challenge to get off.

The tires are wearing but don't look scary yet, whan that raised area down in the trad grooves (1/4 of the way down your pic) is level with the tread it's time. You might want to have an alignment shop check and set the toe in while both of you are in the fully loaded bus, if it was set empty it could explain the wear you see now (It'll reduce the squirellyness on some roads too).

How much of a spot does the trans make after being parked X hrs.?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Sven

Tires are fine, these won't blow on you. If the ball joints are ok then you have too much toe in. I've actually aligned busses with curtain rods to get the toe in to about 3mm. If I recall right you can't get a curtain rod on the front most part of the wheel but you can on the back.

Go under with two pieces of lumber, wheels straight, level ground

The back of the wheels should be 3mm wider than the front. Make a mark on the two pieces of lumber at each spot and see how close they are.

Find someone with a thread chaser and straighten those threads and the lugs will be fine. Lube and torque, then check for 10, 20,30,60,120 intervals until you know they are holding

Maintain the 120 minute check interval until you know they are solid

Your backing plate and drum will be fine as is, because you were driving prudently and stopped immediately.

You have the kind of situational awareness that allows you to not replace everything with OG parts every time the detailer uses non-approved cleaning sponges.
3 Amigos Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Very cool.. Thank you for sharing every detail .
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Hey guys,

thanks for your answers, it's helping us a lot!

busdaddy wrote:
How much of a spot does the trans make after being parked X hrs.?

It's not that much that it's dripping to the ground, I've never seen tranny oil under the car and I've kept an eye on it. It's just always wet under there, but not drippy.

Abscate wrote:
I've actually aligned busses with curtain rods to get the toe in to about 3mm.

That sounds like the method we want to try. We just got a quote from a place in town for 150 bucks and a shiver came over us.

We tried to source lug nuts in town, but Napa would have to order them from Portland, others didn't have them at all, Amazon doesn't ship them to Alaska for some reason (they ship tires up here for free..). We might order the nuts from Napa, otherwise saving our threads for now seems to be the way to go.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 27

Jump to: