Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil level mystery
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcarlson12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

Just finished rebuilding the Bug engine in my wife's 66. Converted to 1600 from 1300.
Yesterday I poured in 2 litres of oil and then waited and measured the level on the dipstick and it was mid way between the two 'indicator' lines.
I then added 0.5 litres which I thought would have brought the level up to the highest line.

Today, I preparation to starting the engine, I left the plugs out and the distributor disconnected and turned the engine over for maybe 20 to 30 seconds with the starter to try to prime the oil pump and get the oil light to extinguish. It did not go out so maybe the engine has to actually run for a short time to get the pump to prime and bring up the pressure.

In any case, about a half hour later I again checked the oil level and it now reads mid way between the two lines again.

I didn't actually check the level after putting in the full 2.5 litres yesterday.

I don't understand why it is not reading a the highest line.

I can't believe that there is 0.5 litres of oil sitting in the oil passages in the engine or am I wrong?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

One thing you did while cranking the engine: you filled the oil cooler.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
One thing you did while cranking the engine: you filled the oil cooler.

I wondered about that, too, upon initial fill and crank. But won't most of it drain back in a few minutes?
dcarlson12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

Actually a few minutes after making the initial posting, I checked the level again and it had crept higher.
I will see what it is like in the morning after sitting overnight.
The oil is 20w50 so it is what I would call on the 'thick' side and because it was/is at ambient temperature, it takes longer to drain back down.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

20W-50 isn't all that thick. Cold it's like a 20wt, but hot stays thicker hot more like a 50wt would.

Today they use 5wt oil but engines are made to far closer tolerances than our old beasts.
dcarlson12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

Well this morning the level is about 1/8" below top line. Thus my post was kind of a waste of time and space.
Should I delete it?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

dcarlson12 wrote:
Well this morning the level is about 1/8" below top line. Thus my post was kind of a waste of time and space.
Should I delete it?

no, maybe not, still a useful post me thinks.

there are no dumb questions!!!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

NAW.....a lesson for the newbees. Book says 2.5 but I always put in a full three qts.

(VW mechanic retired)
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

HRVW wrote:
Smile NAW.....a lesson for the newbees. Book says 2.5 but I always put in a full three qts.

(VW mechanic retired)

But that is most likely due to the VW of Mexico stock oil filter/pump. Filter will take about 1/2 quart of oil to fill it.
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

I would just recommend being cautious about possibly over filling. That can be bad. Consider also that your dipstick may not be correct for your year and therefore may be reading wrong.

Though I've rarely seen an aircooled VW that did not drip oil, I know that when I filled mine to the high mark on the dipstick, it took 3 quarts plus a little. When I changed the oil and put in the required 2.5, the oil level was smack dab in the center of the two dipstick lines.

I left it that way, now considering that as full and besides not using as much oil, I notice I'm leaking less as well. Bug runs great in all weather temps as well.

BTW, I use 20/50 weight in warm weather.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

cyclehobby wrote:

BTW, I use 20/50 weight in warm weather.

Suggest against that high of weight of oil. You need the oil to thin down enough to let the oil pressure relief valve to close up to send most of the oil to the oil cooler when engine is up to operating temp. Not going to do that when oil acts like 50 weight when hot and bypass the oil cooler.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

Attention the W in the SAE classification stands for winter. Dont take my word for it, look it up. It has nothing to do with weight. As the earlier post suggested new engines will take 3 full qt of oil to fill, if using a filter pump even more. Why ? You are filling the cooler, oil galleys, pushrods even the rockers and the valve covers will have a coating or pooling of oil. Some of it will pool behind the main seal as well. It all adds up.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

Something that everybody has missed here--------the o.p. increased his engine from 1300 to 1600. That is about a 23% increase.

So Idea -------2.5x 1.23=3.075
Hope this helps.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

The 1970 owners manual calls for 5.3 US Pinta or 2.65 quarts for the engine, and .8 pints or .4 quarts for the oil bath air cleaner. And that is for a 1600 cc motor.

I've always bought 3 quarts of oil at every oil change. Drain the oil from the motor and the air cleaner, fill the air cleaner with the appropriate amount, the remainder goes in the case.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Something that everybody has missed here--------the o.p. increased his engine from 1300 to 1600. That is about a 23% increase.

Hope this helps.

Displacement and oil capacity are not related.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
iowegian wrote:

Hope this helps.

I guess that was a bad joke, huh? Embarassed
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
iowegian wrote:

Hope this helps.

I was'nt sure... so I gave straight line.
As a joke it was damn funny, though!
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil level mystery Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
iowegian wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
iowegian wrote:

Hope this helps.

I was'nt sure... so I gave straight line.
As a joke it was damn funny, though!

I'm glad you clarified that Iowegian...I was a little worried for a second. I could just see all the newb's blowing out their front seals

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: