Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Matching Numbers in 64 Notch - How Rare?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambaphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Matching Numbers in 64 Notch - How Rare? Reply with quote

So I am curious how often do you see matching numbers on an early Notchback? Below are pictures of original german documents showing VIN and engine number (from Jan of 64) along with picture of current engine number and OMG they match.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=671945&highlight=

Single Port Samba Phil
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers in 64 Notch - How Rare? Reply with quote

When I sold my 64 T-34 in late 2014, I included the German title and the original owner's manual (in German) that had service stamps up to within 10,000 miles of what my odometer showed (with most of the stamps inked in by the original dealership). That car was also a numbers matching car according to the German title. I even had the car repainted Sea Blue#2 which was a little hard to find in my part of the country, and it had to be custom mixed. I enjoyed the car, but I could never get comfortable in it while driving, hence the reason I sold it.
So Yes, they are out there, just not very common to see.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers in 64 Notch - How Rare? Reply with quote

The 63 I have matches as well as the 64 I just sold.
The 63 has hand written stickers in the door jamb with mileage and what work was performed. Looks like the owner did his work himself.. The car was driven less than 20,000 miles since the 80's
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers in 64 Notch - How Rare? Reply with quote

My opinion:
It's common on the nicer and usually low mileage cars and uncommon on the multiple owner, higher mileage cars.

I've had at least 4 Type 3s with 100K miles or less, all had the original engine.

Your question does make me wonder if it's more common for Type 3s than other models to have the original engine still intact now that they are 40+ years old.
Maybe...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers in 64 Notch - How Rare? Reply with quote

Both of my current Variants came with the original engine. A 65 that I parted out due to chassis damage and rust also had the original engine. I kept that engine and it's been rebuilt and sits in my garage.

I know I've had at least two other early Variants with original engines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers in 64 Notch - How Rare? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
My opinion:
It's common on the nicer and usually low mileage cars and uncommon on the multiple owner, higher mileage cars.

I've had at least 4 Type 3s with 100K miles or less, all had the original engine.

Your question does make me wonder if it's more common for Type 3s than other models to have the original engine still intact now that they are 40+ years old.
Maybe...

I would that that per amount made type 3's retain there original engine a considerable amount more that bug's buses etc.. Bugs seem so much more interchangeable over the years and type 3 owners seemed to be a little more essentric and meticulous.
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers in 64 Notch - How Rare? Reply with quote

My '65 does not have the original engine but Im fairly certain my '68 does.

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers in 64 Notch - How Rare? Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
type 3 owners seemed to be a little more essentric and meticulous.

you can say that again x1000

mines OG Very Happy
sambaphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Matching Numbers in 64 Notch - How Rare? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
DMNCLNR wrote:
type 3 owners seemed to be a little more essentric and meticulous.

you can say that again x1000

mines OG Very Happy

Hey Guys,

So first of all Erik, your notch is awesome. It is waaay harder to keep a car OG / stock than it is to customize. So kudos to you for keeping it so true.

As far as original engines in type 3's my early conclusion that it is more common than I thought due to reasons stated above. Thanks for the comments.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=671945&highlight=

Single Port Samba Phil
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: