Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Needle Valve Question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

SB - yep, each time about 2 minutes after the car had sat for 20.

Busdaddy - good idea, never occurred to me to do that. Does a place like AutoZone carry one with the correct pressure? If so, I might as well throw one in as a backup.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Busdaddy - good idea, never occurred to me to do that. Does a place like AutoZone carry one with the correct pressure? If so, I might as well throw one in as a backup.

All FLAPS have either a Chinese clone of the rotary pump CB sells or the MR. Gasket black plastic electronic solenoid pump, both come in a few pressure ranges so make sure you get the lowest (~2-3.5PSI) one available.

https://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3193
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/parts/42S

Both are very good at self regulating thier output pressure, but neither can lift gas uphill, make sure it's somewhere below the tank level.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

Do they require or should I use a relay? I can power the relay off of the alternator's hot terminal (key on, pump on), then plug the pump to the relay.

[EDIT] The specs for the Holley pump say not for use w/ethanol gas. That's all we have around here, E10.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

Interesting, I didn't read the fine print, guess they are covering thier asses.

A relay is always a good idea but for a temporary test it may not be required, that's up to you and how deep you want to get in to it. Others run pumps directly off the coil permanently, eventually the ignition switch dies an early death, the relay is better.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I use this as a daily driver and need to find a fix this weekend. I looked for a pump locally, best I could find is an Empi. Installed it under the gas tank by the napolean's hat, wired it. Works, but the damn thing leaks at the base of the outbound brass fitting that gets connected to the fuel line. I'm picking up a Spectra brand one at the local autozone, same price.

Fortunately, the guy who sold it to me has agreed to take it back. But, man, there goes my Saturday.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

Reading some more about it... the EMPI pump probably wouldn't have leaked of I had used something called PTFE tape on the threads of the fitting. Like the Teflon tape used in plumbing. Live and learn.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

One detail that may have come back to haunt me here...I didn't put grease inside the base of the current mechanical fuel pump when I installed it a couple of years back.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
djack47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

Don't Laugh
Put Seafoam in your gas and on stuck parts
seriously, Jack
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

djack47 wrote:
Don't Laugh
Put Seafoam in your gas and on stuck parts
seriously, Jack

Yeah, i've used seafoam in the gas before and down the carb throat to burn off carbon deposits. Neighbors love the fluffy clouds.... Smile

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

Update/Successful conclusion:

Here's what happened w/the pump. I had the correct size rod. What happened is that I have a manual fuel cut-off valve in the line between the fuel pump and the carb bowl. I forgot to OPEN this valve before restarting the car w/the replacement pump. There was enough gas in the bowl to fire up the car and run it just long enough for pressure to build up in the line as the pump was trying to push gas to the bowl and BOOM! The seals that are in the pump blew (loudly) and gas poured out the mid-point of the pump until the car stalled a second later.

As to my ORIGINAL problem - here's the original (factory I believe) VW bakelite guide for the fuel rod on the left, the replacement one on the right.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clearly the hole in the old one is significantly smaller than the new one.

I got a new mechanical pump and gaskets, installed it using the new bakelite and have since driven about 200 miles (including 60-miles round trip w/the wife to a Doobie Brothers concert last night! Those old rockers have aged well and sounded great!) w/*ZERO* stalls or stumbles due to fuel delivery issues. I'm pretty sure the old bakelite swelling was the cause of the problems I'd been having over the last month.

BTW - Busdaddy, I bought the Holley electric pump and have a relay ready to use w/it, but decided to keep it as a spare and continue running w/the mechanical pump for the time being.

Thanks all for your suggestions in resolving this problem!
VW Logo

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Needle Valve Question Reply with quote

That is definitely what I would call "some schnidt."

Good call.

-Frank
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: