Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Kadrons carb walk-thru
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

kevlarian wrote:
storm wrote:
Kavvlarian, .82 4th gear w/3.88 r&p. w/ redux gears big nut. Tall gearing. My rpm is problemly to tall. But the engine pulls good with a 110 cam. Tires 195/70/15. No cooling issues. Also the kads runs fine at idle 850 rpm. G

I'm running .82/4.12 on the forth/pinion. I'm running about 2800-2900 at 60. Happy with the gearing. Thinking of going to a 205/70 or 205/75 to add a little more top end.

My issue (and I'd like to see you try it), is that at idle, I can pull plugs on cyl 1 & 3 and the car will idle just fine. Won't even notice that they are pulled. I've talked to John @ aircooled.net and AJ at LowBugget, and both say that is normal. I find it difficult to believe that is the way it should run, but it appears that is the way!

Can you tell me what your experience is?

Priceless...two industry long timers (one, a pro, one a hack, just my opinion), and you don't trust their advice and you're asking "storm" for advice...who's never used kads before.
Brilliant. Lol

Think about what a one barrel carb does at idle feeding two cylinders...
Just saying
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

Where do John and AJ say that Kadrons idling on just 2 cylinders is normal? I did run them once upon a time, I'm certainly no expert on tuning them, but they did idle on all 4 though not completely equally. Close enough that pulling any one plug at idle would nearly kill it.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

It's all in the cam. If stock type 3s and 4s ran on just 2 cylinders, it would be common knowledge, no?
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See the differences between the OE intakes & aftermarket intakes??

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Where do John and AJ say that Kadrons idling on just 2 cylinders is normal? I did run them once upon a time, I'm certainly no expert on tuning them, but they did idle on all 4 though not completely equally. Close enough that pulling any one plug at idle would nearly kill it.

The guys both said its normal. I can pull 1 & 3 at the same time and it idles exactly the same as it does with them plugged in. When I pulled the plugs 2&4 looked clean and normal, 1&3 were black and "fouled". Compression test on all 4 were perfect @ ~120 psi. I replaced all the plugs and it ran exactly the same. Seems odd to me even if the "experts" say.

The logic should apply to any single barrel dual carb config if I am not mistaken. Is that the case?
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:

What am I looking for? They both go from one whole to two.
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

Storm here, my Kadron's manifolds 2&4 have the balance tube in place. I used a 3/8 inch fittings on each. In the middle of the balance hose I have a T so I can used a vacuum gauge for tuning purposing. Tunning by ear is ok, but I like to use the vacuum gauge for finer tuning. Clamp off each line to isolate each. Some how all 4 cylinders work at idle 800 rpm. Kaviarian, try a larger hose and fittings. What size is your hose inside dia? .
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

kevlarian wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:

Take a better look at the OE intake.The factory did it for a reason.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
kevlarian wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:

Take a better look at the OE intake.The factory did it for a reason.

At the top of the tube it splits into two tubes where the Kads just essentially have a single hole at the top and dual holes at the bottom?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

The slot between the runners is not the solution, the solution is the balance tube.
The slot is probably a dampener to smooth carburetor signal.

Far as balance tubes, slots, cams, and weird carb setups, I think it boils down to this:
Some guys want to make all aspects of the engine uniform equal and balaced, while another view is make every cylinder run the best it can. As usual there in no real right answer. If you look at many used VW heads you will eventually be able to guess which side of the engine they were on, because they never ran even anyway. Many of the worst engines ever..... run equally pathetic on all cylinders, and some of the best and most loved engines are very asymmetrical.

Should you use shorter manifolds and shorter cams and balance tubes to smooth the idle? heck no, it'll make less power! Everybody likes MORE power
Embrace diversity Wink
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

Just some observations on my end. Been running Kads in various engines for maybe 10 years or so? Have them on three at the moment. Done AJ, Aircooled.net, Kaddieshack and my own.

#1 totally hate the no number on jets - recently was talking to Jeff about that again...It is what it is. So will just continue to use my jet gauges and measure.

#2 idle on 2 cylinders....I dont agonize over this, but seem to recall that the balance tube made some but not a huge difference - but its been a few years, so not 100% sure. I haven't run balance tubes on mine for quite a few years. What I found was proper synching and running the idle a little higher works fine. Most of our cars are set are around 1000 RPMs....

#3 to the OP - anytime to install a component on the intake side, you should do a thorough vacuum leak test. And watch your crossover tube hoses in a couple years - they like to crack and leak.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

Storm here, we'll all is good. Jeff from Kaddieshack mailed me plus one jet on the idle jets and plus one and two on mains. No Charge. Put plus one on idle jets and mains. Tune and went for a drive no popping but poor performance. So check all 4 spark plugs. They were sooty. This time I think to check the ignition timing. Svda at 3000rpm showed 28degrees before top dead center vacuum plugged. Readjust timing to 32 degrees. Using 91 octane. Reconnect vacuum hose and total advance to 42 degrees. No load. Retune and took the bus for another ride much better in performance and no missis or popping. Head temps down to 275 degrees. Drove 30 miles and did a spark plug check. That cleaned up the soot and all problems. As Kaddieshack says on their ad, good people. G.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: