Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John's Aquired '67...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: John's Aquired '67... Reply with quote

Hmm...first post here, but long time lurker especially recently. In my 40's now, but my first car was a '71 standard and have been hoping to get back "into it" Cool

I just aquired this '67 from a long time buddy of mine, possibly even a member on here. The short of it is, I've kept it stored for him at my place while he went through a divorce and eventually he lost interest in it since he found a double cab and decided to put his efforts into that. He didn't want the car to rot away and knew I was wanting to get another bug, so he gave it to me. Nice guy ehh? Very Happy

It is a sunroof car and based on the VIN tag, it appears to be an Aug.66 build (117 140 ***). The front fenders look to not be original. Two things I'm bummed about are that he does not have the bumpers for it, and the seats are not original (not even VW) Shocked So...finding a set of 67 seat frames will be a priority and bumpers possibly unless I want to just run the euro look. As far as I know it has everything else. It has no motor, so the OG is long gone. it does have a trans, but not sure what it is or if it is OG. The pan is great and there doesn't seem to be much if any rust. The drivers side of the engine bay is a bit wrinkled..possibly from a rear fender hit since the rear apron doesn't look crinkled. The dash was cut for a stereo, but that isn't that big of deal to me, I can always repair that. Still has the 12v sticker on the drivers jamb Cool

I've been doing a lot of research into what it is I actually have and of course already know about the "one year" only aspect of the car. One of the issues I'm having is figuring out what the factory color is. My buddy says its Lotus White...but I'm wondering how he knows this for certain. Based off reading the tech section, it looks like there is supposed to be a small riveted tag on the front apron near the latch...but this car doesn't have one. Not sure if the apron has been replaced or...some other reason it wouldn't be there.

Where do I find a tag or other info that tells me the factory color? Not entirely excited about Lotus White as the color, but excited that the chassis is a 117 so if it ends up it is Lotus White, I can run the red interior and have everything be correct. Seeing photos of the Lotus cars with the deep red interior, I like this combo.

Last edited by Offroader5 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

Best way to tell original color is to find an area that has not been repainted. The front trunk is often left alone. Same with the areas under the back seat or even above the transmission under the car or behind the tarboards in the engine bay.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba! The tag with the color would be a sticker so it's probably long gone. Can you post some pictures of the car?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

Here's a couple photos
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Offroader5 on Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

Unless they painted everything, I think it was a lotus white car, maybe beige.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

Is it normal that the factory would have missed the color topcoat in some areas in tight spots? Up under the lip of the trunk it looks darker, also in the pic of the drivers front inside apron I posted, there appears to be darker areas of missing white topcoat just below the hood release cable tube.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

I don't think they would of missed spots but I'm not sure.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

Here are a couple more I just snapped. All tucked away spots that unless they did a very thorough paint job last time around, it would appear Lotus White may be the color.

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

I agree, looks like lotus white. My car is going to be painted that color with a red interior. It is a very nice color.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

Yup, going that route here. Figure I'll let her stay the color she was.

Planning on a pan off resto-ish build. The body will be completely stripped and full paint done right.

Want the body & interior to be old school original looking, but with upgrades to the suspension, brakes, engine and trans. Thinking 1835-1914 engine size with a mildly built freeway flier trans, discs, adj. narrowed beam and lowered spindles. Not going to drop it too far and give 'er a bit of rake, with a more beefy tire in the rear. RDW wheels also have my eye Cool

Cool thing also is that the buddy who gave the car to me works at a custom VW shop that does some mildly pricey builds. They just finished a badass Fridolin. It will undoubtedly be painted there.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

Did you get a title with the car? What part of Arizona are you located, ad that in your information as it helps sometimes.
Welcome to the Samba.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

Yeah, car has a title. He has to dig it out of his paperwork.
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

WOW! An early '67 Sunroof Deluxe!
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

Yup...another one will be saved Cool
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

Some more photos. Removed several layers of old tarps and wiped down the outside to see what i had to work with.

Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

Very little to no rust on this car. I found some surface rust inside the bottom of the doors...but had to really search for that. Dash was cut for some reason at the speaker area..and some exterior mirrors were fitted/drilled into the doors (easy enough to fix). Rear apron looks to have been replaced...its the wrong color on the inside.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

A word of caution : Make shure you know which bolts to turn to adjust the front end .
I did it wrong and it cost me more than it should have Embarassed

Lots of info here ; have fun with your new toy ....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

You have the potential to make yourself a very nice Beetle, but it'll take lots of perseverence starting with the stripped shell. You are so lucky to start with a rust-free car!

Lotus white with the factory red-shade interior would be a very attractive combination. I'd suggest staying with the stock '67 transmission with its 4.12 final drive ratio even with a stronger engine, compared to a freeway flier.

For hi-po engine and transmission advice and build work, strongly consider VW Performance in Phoenix. Steve H is a master of strong and reliable aircooled engines.

The ID tag riveted to the front apron came a few years later; here's a shot from the gallery-

Apache Junction: I drove thru there in '99 on a driving tour vacation thru lower AZ; continued east on the Apache Trail- wonderful road. In '94 I bought a '64 Ghia Coupe from a student in Rhode Island who went to college in the Phoenix area, and lived in AJ. He drove it cross-country.
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

Only parts that worry me only because im not a body guy...is the slight wrinkles inside the front apron and the wrinkled drivers side engine bay panel. Not sure if a hammer and dolly can do much..or if it needs pulled a bit. There is a replacement rear apron inside the car..not sure if its the correct 67 one..the one on the car obviously isn't.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: