Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mileage accuracy
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Mileage accuracy Reply with quote

I plan routes for my morning walk online using various apps to estimate miles walked. One route is 3.2 miles according to the sites, but I decided to verify it with the Vert yesterday. The bug said it was 2.5 miles, not 3.2. I took one of our other vehicles out that has a trip set, and it said it was exactly 3.2 miles. See the problem
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mileage accuracy Reply with quote

If your tires are not stock odds are your spedometer is now only useful for visual stimulation.... Unless the tire height itself is still like stock.

-Frank
pbnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mileage accuracy Reply with quote

stock tires. Like you said, I guess its just there for grins
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mileage accuracy Reply with quote

The good news is rebuilt, accurate speedometers are plentiful and cheap. Smile

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mileage accuracy Reply with quote

Our cars left the factory with bias ply tires that are a bit taller than the normal replacement 165/80r15. So the mileage will never be 100% on unless you get some bias ply.
205T (Bill)
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mileage accuracy Reply with quote

Relyt wrote:
Our cars left the factory with bias ply tires that are a bit taller than the normal replacement 165/80r15. So the mileage will never be 100% on unless you get some bias ply.

What's odd is I've tested the speedometer speeds in both my bugs with GPS and they were both dead on with those radial tires. I'll have to try the distance with the GPS as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mileage accuracy Reply with quote

Odometers did get calibrated for smaller tires as time went on. the old 1950s/60s W0.80 rating changed 0.82 and then 0.825 (or 825 on the speedometer face) and the higher that number the smaller the diameter tire.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mileage accuracy Reply with quote

Just figure out the percentage that it's off and add that to the total.

Compare, say 100 miles (according to your GPS), and if your odometer says 80 miles, then you know you're 20% off. Add 20% to your mileage for tune up, oil changes, etc.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Mileage accuracy Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Relyt wrote:

What's odd is I've tested the speedometer speeds in both my bugs with GPS and they were both dead on with those radial tires. I'll have to try the distance with the GPS as well.

I would go with you empirical knowledge over my trivia knowledge, maybe the radial vs bias doesn't apply to later models as suggested by Andy. I know mine, for whatever reason, is off about 10%
205T (Bill)
pbnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mileage accuracy Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I keep the tires at about at 25psi. I figure I lose about .2 per mile, but I will have to take another look at it later. If this has always been the case since 77, its off about 15000 based on the current reading of about 75000. Since I have no idea on the history of the bug, I can't really say what the actual mileage is. It was about 71k when I picked it up last year and its almost at 76.k. That being said, I would say I've put on just under 5k in 11 months, and that seems right.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mileage accuracy Reply with quote

In every 70s beetle speedo I've pulled down (7 now) the plastic odometer gear has been cracked and slips on the shaft when it gets around to the Crack hence the low reading, I'll bet yours has the same problem.
pbnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mileage accuracy Reply with quote

Interesting. can it be repaired or does the speedo need to be replaced
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mileage accuracy Reply with quote

The gear can be replaced if you can find a replacement. I've not looked up the availability in a while but there used to be a couple of places that made replacement gears. (VW's problem was they changed to plastic, earlier speedometers used brass) I have a couple of threads where I talk about taking apart the speedometers, the one for the late model speedo is here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179776&

and from that, here's the infamous cracked odometer gear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
homeboymi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mileage accuracy Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Just figure out the percentage that it's off and add that to the total.

Compare, say 100 miles (according to your GPS), and if your odometer says 80 miles, then you know you're 20% off. Add 20% to your mileage for tune up, oil changes, etc.

Tim

That"s what I have been doing for the past 28 years. I first noticed the odometer was off by watching roadside mile markers. It took 1 minute at 60 mph between mile markers but the odometer only read 8 tenths.
pbnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mileage accuracy Reply with quote

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm just not sure when this all started, but it doesn't really matter at this point.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: