Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Six wire turn signal switch resistance?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Six wire turn signal switch resistance? Reply with quote

My 60 Beetle is still six volt and has really dim rear turn and brake lights. When I measure voltage going to the blinker flasher from the fuse box it is nearly six Volts, going from the flasher to the switch not under load it is nearly six,however with the turn signal on output measured for the rear and front turn signals idrops to four as does the input from the flasher to the turn signal switch.
Does this signify resistance in the switch meaning the contacts are corroded and I need a new switch or am I misdiagnosing this?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Six wire turn signal switch resistance? Reply with quote

I suppose it's possible, but I would start with the terminal board connections, there are two of them. One near the front and one in the back. Clean those really well. Also check the ground at the bulb holders. It has to be a really good ground!

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Six wire turn signal switch resistance? Reply with quote

If the voltage is the same on both sides of the switch under load, then it isn't the switch that's causing the voltage drop.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Six wire turn signal switch resistance? Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
If the voltage is the same on both sides of the switch under load, then it isn't the switch that's causing the voltage drop.

Or measure for voltage across the switch while 'under load', the voltage should be zero. Any voltage measured means there is resistance in the contacts.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Six wire turn signal switch resistance? Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
glutamodo wrote:

Or measure for voltage across the switch while 'under load', the voltage should be zero. Any voltage measured means there is resistance in the contacts.

Which wire do I measure? the one going from the flasher to the switch whil e under load? When I measure that under load I get a reading of about 2 volts...

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Six wire turn signal switch resistance? Reply with quote

When checking for a voltage drop across any component you measure from input to output. There should be no voltage drop across a switch. If there is any drop then there is resistance. If you put the meter lead on the 54 terminal at the flasher and on the output side of the switch, VL for instance and read 2 volts, then there is a 2 volt drop inside the switch or in the wiring itself. See the diagram below.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What will complicate things is the flashing. I would bypass the flasher by connecting 15 and 54 at the flasher to get a good solid reading at the switch....and other places like terminal boards and bulb holders!

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Six wire turn signal switch resistance? Reply with quote

flyboy161 wrote:
When checking for a voltage drop across any component you measure from input to output. There should be no voltage drop across a switch. If there is any drop then there is resistance. If you put the meter lead on the 54 terminal at the flasher and on the output side of the switch, VL for instance and read 2 volts, then there is a 2 volt drop inside the switch or in the wiring itself. See the diagram below.

What will complicate things is the flashing. I would bypass the flasher by connecting 15 and 54 at the flasher to get a good solid reading at the switch....and other places like terminal boards and bulb holders!

Clear now, thanks a million!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Six wire turn signal switch resistance? Reply with quote

Just remember, something that does "work" like a flasher is going to drop voltage. A light bulb drops voltage. But connections on T2 should not. From the ground side of the bulb holder to a GOOD ground, should not drop voltage. A switch should not drop voltage.

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Six wire turn signal switch resistance? Reply with quote

Voltage measured the same so I backtracked.I had about 5.3 going to the fuse. On and about 4.7 put for the turn signals, so I cleaned up the terminals nice and shiny and it even everything out.
Not my snowflakes appear to have two candles in them instead of just one Very Happy
Thanks again for your help.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Six wire turn signal switch resistance? Reply with quote

flyboy161 wrote:

Clear now, thanks a million!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

runamoc wrote:
glutamodo wrote:

Which wire do I measure? the one going from the flasher to the switch whil e under load? When I measure that under load I get a reading of about 2 volts...

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Six wire turn signal switch resistance? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Voltage measured the same so I backtracked.I had about 5.3 going to the fuse. On and about 4.7 put for the turn signals, so I cleaned up the terminals nice and shiny and it even everything out.
Not my snowflakes appear to have two candles in them instead of just one Very Happy
Thanks again for your help.

Good deal!

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: