Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brexit and it's influence on bus prices
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

Both new and second-hand cars have probably always been more expensive in Great Britain than in the USA. In many cases, cars in Britain were circa 1½~2 times more expensive for virtually the same car.

During the years following the Second World War, buying a car was regarded as an uber-luxury item, which was HEAVILY taxed (close to 100% for expensive luxury cars and sports cars) in a bid to discourage imports and encourage exports to gain income, after Great Britain and the British Empire was bankrupted fighting the war during 1939~45. Rationing of food and other items continued well into the 1950s.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

Wow! 100%!! They DO love their taxes over the pond eh. Laughing
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

Rubber Duck wrote:

Don't forget that many of Great Britain's towns and cities were severely damaged by German bombing and the transport infra-structure (land-based & marine) was almost worn out after 6 years of war. Pearl Harbour in December 1941 was just a minor inconvenience by comparison!

Great Britain was only just beginning to recover from the ravages of the 1914~18 First World War, when the 1939~45 Second World War started, so the country was SEVERELY in debt in 1945.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

I was just looking at huge number of semi-restored buses newly up for sale here. My take is that there are so many buses being flipped right now where people are expecting to buy a bus cheap, fix it up on the cheap and make money, that between the surplus of buses and the Brexit we'll see prices fall to 50% of where they are now within a year. There aren't enough US buyers in the higher price ranges to justify the number of buses for sale. Once the weak sisters are crushed, the stock ones in excellent condition will go up, and the fad buses will remain depressed. That is my take now. The flippers also depress the market because they give the illusion that if you buy a bus you'll get burned. At the same time NOS parts will start to get really scarce so we'll see more conversions and "it ran before I parked it." Lots of buses coming out of storage right now where they haven't run in 10 - 15 years and people are trying to get them going to flip them. The market can only go down. My guess is that flippers are going to get stuck with a lot of the buses they planned to flip for a profit, especially if the UK stops exporting buses out of the USA. As parts become more scarce, daily drivers will falter too. The local CL are really saturated with over-priced flippers - and they are sitting and sitting because everyone has them way overpriced. Surplus of units for sale can only mean reduced prices.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I was just looking at huge number of semi-restored buses newly up for sale here.

I was expecting that, but I did a scan of all craigslist for "VW bus" and got very few hits. Nothing that got me to get out the suitcase.
I think it will take months.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
SGKent wrote:
I was just looking at huge number of semi-restored buses newly up for sale here.

I was expecting that, but I did a scan of all craigslist for "VW bus" and got very few hits. Nothing that got me to get out the suitcase.
I think it will take months.
Al

I wasn't saying that Brexit is the cause of the buses for sale although someone could have thought that. What I see is a huge number of people who found buses or pulled them out of their uncle's back yard in hope of sanding, painting, getting them running, and flipping them for a big profit. I think some of that has been accelerating for quite some time, and probably the excess was absorbed by Brits, but now between a slowdown in buses headed to the UK and the huge number of flippers, the prices can only fall. There just aren't that many people who can afford to spend the kind of money being asked. I think the flippers are going to be in for a big disappointment as downward pricing pressure accelerates.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

Even at $1 = £1 your buses are cheap to us in the UK.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

My call on this one? Brexit never happens. Despite the vote, some in government has to invoke Article 50. No one wants to do that as thinking people have figured out that this was a stupid move. The old young split delays action until the thing dies.

Impact on luxury purchases like Busses....none.
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
Rubber Duck wrote:

Don't forget that many of Great Britain's towns and cities were severely damaged by German bombing and the transport infra-structure (land-based & marine) was almost worn out after 6 years of war. Pearl Harbour in December 1941 was just a minor inconvenience by comparison!

Great Britain was only just beginning to recover from the ravages of the 1914~18 First World War, when the 1939~45 Second World War started, so the country was SEVERELY in debt in 1945.

Canada didn't even have a tax after the 1st world war...nothing got damages. However, there were entire towns and villages that lost every able-bodied man. In fact, when income tax started, it was supposed to be a "temporary" measure only. I'm still waiting for them to repeal it. Laughing
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
My call on this one? Brexit never happens. Despite the vote, some in government has to invoke Article 50. No one wants to do that as thinking people have figured out that this was a stupid move. The old young split delays action until the thing dies.

That would be spectacular. The young people that have to live with the decision the longest are the ones the decision also impacts the most. The old chaps who don't have much time left on this earth won't be around long enough for it to give them the unlubricated shaft.

Unrelated, I quit my job this week and, since our cooperate office is in the UK, my company stock portfolio payout took a massive shit. No new bus parts for me at the moment… Sad

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: